The new Mendor Discreet Meter

Mcvicker35

Has anyone had any problems getting hold of test strips? Ordered mine last week and they haven't arrived as of yet, the pharmacist has had to Oder them from a boots store in Essex, I live in Northumlberland!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
pauldwds said:
I have received one of the new Mendor discreet meters and think it is a terrific machine for me but cannot get software and drivers to download onto my Windows 7 system computer, has anyone else had this problem and how did you solve it?

Im actually in the process of trying to install the software on my Windows 7 right now so I will let you know how it goes, Pauldwds.

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
Mcvicker35, the test strips are now available on the NHS (in Northern Ireland with no problems anyway). None of your doctors practices should refuse as you NEED the strips! It's just that the doctors dont like the expense but tough luck, insist on them! They have to provide them.

I have to say I don't find this meter bulky in the slightest. Its actually shorter than my iphone and is very, ahem, discreet. I don't even have a problem with the finger pricker because, compared to other meters, it only needs a miniscule amount of blood.
To get the bottom cover off without too much hassle press the down and up buttons really hard and pull.

Marcus, happy for you to hijack the thread! Personally I think this is a fab meter and I am all for it! I am in the process of installing the Balance software at the moment so I will let you know how I get on with it, ease of installation, use etc.

Cheers
Yingal2010

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Paul, what exactly was the problem with your installation?

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ok. Just installed the new Mendor Balance software. Was pretty straight forward. You go to the website and click log in. When it connects you register where it will send you a verification email which you open and verify your email. Click to install the software and login, add more details and voilá! lol

The only issue I had was plugging the meter in. My operating system couldn't find the driver for the meter when I plugged it in. To fix this problem go to this page and download the file "CP210x_VCP_Windows" (for Windows 7 in this instance).

http://www.silabs.com/products/mcu/Pages/USBtoUARTBridgeVCPDrivers.aspx

When you hit download, select Save and save the zipped file to the Desktop. Right click and "extract files" to the Desktop (a new folder will appear on the desktop). Open the folder and click to open the file "CP210xVCPInstaller_x64" and follow the directions.

Once installed open the Balance software, log in and plug in your meter and turn it on. Then hit Upload and it will upload all your readings.

I apologise in advance if these directions come off as patronising or convoluted :? . Obviously, I don't know who is computer savvy and who isn't lol! :?

pauldwds

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for getting back to me Cole. I had the same problem with drivers, downloaded from the site , tried but then had Winrar come up and ask for subscription fees to download software. I don't agree with paying for something like this when there is so many free on the market. I'm not an it wizard but I won't pay for something that I can get for free with another company.
Ps I'm also Scottish lol

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Paul uninstall Winrar as you say its a rip off. Windows 7 has a built in Extract all in the menus! When you get the zipped file just double click and it will just open for you. I tend to copy the open folder to the desktop and look for the files i named and open them. Hope this helps!

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
FYI I just worked out how to increase the strength of the finger pricker. Just remove it from the meter and twist (bit like a bottle top) right for stronger and left for weak. Hope this helps for a few who had issues with the finger pricker. :)

Ying x

jdizzy74

I received my new mendor discreet a few weeks ago, obviously used all the test strips up, I love how discreet it really is. Went to my doctors yesterday to ask if I could have the strips on prescription and had a right lecture from the doctors receptionist about how expensive the strips are, it was almost like she was having a go at me n I was asking for something that wasnt needed!!

violet6763

I had the same. They wouldn't supply them and gave me an acu true meter instead, which needs separate strips and a separate lancet. Its in the cupboard with my other useless meters and I am back to using my old contour

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Sorry I probably wouldn't be much good to you as I don't use the mendor meter, but would love to here about your project:).