There is hope?

flashsusie

Hello Everyone

As I am newly diagnosed Type 2 I am not sure if this was good news. I have been taking Metformin 500mg twice daily for 4 weeks and following a low carb diet and my bm at the start was 27 after 4 weeks with a random finger prick test at my review appointment with the Diabetes Nurse my reading was 7! I am amazed at how quickly the bm has come down. I have been eating a well balanced diet, lots of protein and mainly low glycemic type carbs. Never feeling hungry. I have been stict and cut out as much refined carbs as I can and no biscuits, sweets, cake, sugary drinks etc and this has made such a difference. I have been trying to lose weight since Xmas and have lost 3.5 stone without really trying too hard, up until being diagnosed in early May I was still eating the odd sweet treat. I have been told if I continue to eat healthy and cut out sugars, white flour etc. I can reverse my high blood sugars. I feel so much better since being diagnosed. The exhaustion has disappeared, I have a lot more energy. The thirst has gone and the excesive weeing at night! At last a proper nights sleep and wake up feeling refreshed, I was feeling awful for months and just put it down to stressful job and low grade Winter depression. I would love to hear from anyone else that was in a similar situation to me at the beginning of their diagnosis of Type 2. Did your bm fall so quickly. I have been assured I will not have a hypo as that was something that made me feel anxious when I read up about how you can feel. I had felt dizzy at times, but thougth it was just getting up too quickly! I really do believe that it is diet that can help. I have a long way to go still with the weight loss but hopeully cutting out the refined carbs and sugar and keeping to low fat the weight will continue to come off.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well done Susie, great progress there and hopefully inspiration to others.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not a type 2 but well done you :clap:

barbara65

I have cutting out sugar and down on cabs i did not know when first had diabetes i wish i had i am on byetta now but have to be very carefull of what i eat good luck just keep it up and your weigh Will come off

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

flashsusie

Thanks for your reply. Well done on your achievements too. I am surprised I have not been given a bm monitor and test strips. I was told only those that are not good at controlIing their bm get those. Like you say, I could get my own from Boots or a chemist. I've heard the test strips are very expensive. Maybe I should look into it. Im quite good at knowing what to eat. I dont weigh or count carbs I just watch how many. I was told it has to be some carbs, some good fats, and protein with lots of green vegs and fruit is ok but not too much. I love my fruit so I eat enough but space it out. I've had to change my eating a lot. My moto now is Eat to live, not live to eat!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Susie you can get a meter fairly cheaply from the suppliers some even give them free if you say you are a newly diagnosed DB and you want to keep a check on your levels .The problem is the strips which are expensive but I can get Accu chek strips on e-bay for about half the price . There is a cheap meter which has cheap strips it is called code free but some dont find it as accurate it may show a little higher readings but if you just want to measure how your levels are reacting to food etc this is ok You can google to find this
CAROL