weird smell

jannxxx

OMG YES, its not there all the time and i first smelt it at a car boot so i thought it was a person! then its really strong but iv asked my family if its me and they would tell me, :clap: but its not, how strange, lol i thought it was just me,

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Great topic and points raised here :thumbup:

Yep - I have smelt strange smells when my BG levels have been high and raised .
Not a urine smell but odd strange smells that I will ask my hubby or family about them .
They are always puzzled as it is usually only 'me' that can smell it and not them ...
The link with myself is definetely when my BG levels are high and raised I experience this .

Hubby has smelt me when my ketones are high - strong appley/pear smell on breath and skin .
This isnt detected by myself at these times I may add here .

Anna .

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Pamzy2 said:
I know what you mean, and have tried to find out what this is and the only conclusion I can come to is it's the urine once if it gets on your underwear - it doesn't seem to smell when it's "fresh", but over the course of a few hours it seems to set up a very "cheesy" smell, which I didn't have before I became a diabetic - this has only happened over the past year, for around a year before I was diagnosed, and still goes on. I have bought special "non-soap intimate cleansers" which make no difference, so I can only conclude that it's something in the urine that then "ferments" on your underwear. Sorry to be so graphic, but I've thought long and hard about this and there's no easy way of saying it! If anyone can find an answer and a "cure" to this horrible smell I too would be very grateful!

I always have a packet of wet wipes in my bag for after I use the toilet. I really wish they'd supply them at work and in public toilets, just as they do toilet rolls, we'd all smell a lot better for it! Let's face it, a piece of dry toilet paper doesn't do the job of proper cleansing.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
GraceK said:
Pamzy2 said:
I know what you mean, and have tried to find out what this is and the only conclusion I can come to is it's the urine once if it gets on your underwear - it doesn't seem to smell when it's "fresh", but over the course of a few hours it seems to set up a very "cheesy" smell, which I didn't have before I became a diabetic - this has only happened over the past year, for around a year before I was diagnosed, and still goes on. I have bought special "non-soap intimate cleansers" which make no difference, so I can only conclude that it's something in the urine that then "ferments" on your underwear. Sorry to be so graphic, but I've thought long and hard about this and there's no easy way of saying it! If anyone can find an answer and a "cure" to this horrible smell I too would be very grateful!

I always have a packet of wet wipes in my bag for after I use the toilet. I really wish they'd supply them at work and in public toilets, just as they do toilet rolls, we'd all smell a lot better for it! Let's face it, a piece of dry toilet paper doesn't do the job of proper cleansing.

Great suggestion and idea here Grace :clap:
In certain other countries they do - 'do' a douche spray for using in some ladies toilets.

With the wet wipes thingy -
I carry these about too they have loads of uses, wipe tables down, cutlery if needed, grubby sticky little hands
[my 4 yr old granddaughter!] freshen my/her 'face' up too .

Never thought of using/doing this one though - great neat idea and tip :idea: :thumbup:
Thanks for sharing this with us all Grace .

Anna .

jojogirl

I GET IT!!! It's when my sugars are high!!! The smell problem I mean, not aiming! lol!!! But i dont get that smell i get like a really strong acrid fusty smell that makes me feel even MORE nauseous!! :sick: I wonder if its keytones or something.

ninasings

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals, Ignorant behaviour, Misogynists
Hi Bob
this may be totally irrelevant for you as you do not inject insulin...but as soon as I started using Lantus (long acting insulin) i noticed a pharmaceutical smell...bit like hospitals coming off my skin ..well to be specific the bits that sweat! You might want to look at what you are eating and see if that changes anything for you.
Do you use anti-perspirant that has aluminium in it?

Anyway hope you have found a solution. \You have to be your own detective in this regard I fear.

ninasings

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes ive nioticed it while on the bus,ive tried deodrants and still smell it,i feel embarised is it me only that smells it

jojogirl

I'm glad someone else gets it too! I got so annoyed with everyone coz nobody else could smell it! At first I thought there must be a dead mouse under the floorboards or something!!! :? Took me about a year to realise it actually seemed to smell like that only when my BG was high!! Weird isn it tho, coz it doesnt happen every time. I wonder if it's caused by rotting blood cells!!! :lol:

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha just asked my boyfriend if I smell of anything when my levels are high and he, very sheepishly I may add, replied that I smell of wee... And I thought my perfume was lovely :D

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Braes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes I get a very strong smell of sugar puffs, mostly when my glucose levels are sitting over 20.
Appeared just before I was diagnosed, nurse said it was the sweetness from my breath.

tc100

I have a similar problem but It's not a urine smell, it is hard to describe. I would say it is more a after cooking lingering smell. No I do not just smell it in the house it can be anywhere in the car, in town, in the office and out walking in the countryside.
I do not smell it all the time - weird or what?

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
hi there, this sounds to me like ketones a potentially life threatening condition if not treated immediately i have suffered from this twice over the past 8 years and both times came within minutes of losing my life. it is therefore vital you immediately check your urine for ketones and contact a doctor without delay if there is a positive result. early symptoms do show as a sickeningly sweet smell from the breath (very like urine) and if left untreated you would eventually start to throw up uncontrollably without stopping making it very hard to call an ambulance if alone if you dont already have them you can get ketostix on prescription to test for this but you cannot afford to wait and should get straight to a doctors or hospital to be tested.

Powerboatman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Restrictions on driving, flying and other pastimes, increased insurance fee's
Hi jimbob72, I too have the same problem for at least the past two or three months.
I remember having experienced it in the past but it is much worse lately.

I am not sure if it is a side effect of one of the drugs or higher levels, my own levels have been up a little lately but nowhere near as high as they were previously and as far as I remember I did not have the smell problem back then.

What med's are you on?

How long have you noticed the problem?

Can you associate it with a change of med's?

Let me know if lower levels help reduce the problem.

Regards,

Powerboatman

JayCee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all for bringing up this subject. I felt so off colour due to high bloods, high BP and anti depressants, and did not feel weird smells could possibly be from me!
It seemed to come off my skin and down my nose and even in my sweat. Felt I could shower a number of times a day.
Much appreciated.

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I had this or similar smelling smells that were not there. I used to be able to smell baking bread whilst driving my car. Strongly advise seeing your doctor about it.