Type 1 and DVLA

kev4182

Hello, I (Kevin) am a type 1 diabetic.
I passed my UK driving test about 5 weeks ago and the DVLA have not sent my licence.
Called DVLA on Wednesday 15/05/13 and they told me "90 day wait".

Question: Just wanted to check if this has happened to anyone before and if so how long do you wait?

I do understand about medical check on driving but only had renewed provisional licence 5months before passing test and have had no problems with diabetes after course.

(My diabetic is under control after taking a course, which people on this site helped my find so would like to say big thank you to them).

Hope someone can answer my question (sorry if any words are misspelled)

Kevin (kev4182)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
kev4182 said:
Hello, I (Kevin) am a type 1 diabetic.
I passed my UK driving test about 5 weeks ago and the DVLA have not sent my licence.
Called DVLA on Wednesday 15/05/13 and they told me "90 day wait".

Question: Just wanted to check if this has happened to anyone before and if so how long do you wait?

I do understand about medical check on driving but only had renewed provisional licence 5months before passing test and have had no problems with diabetes after course.

(My diabetic is under control after taking a course, which people on this site helped my find so would like to say big thank you to them).

Hope someone can answer my question (sorry if any words are misspelled)

Kevin (kev4182)

It took a couple months to get my license sent to me, and I was diabetic at the time. I just had to send it away for my medical and that took 10 weeks. It just seems they're slow!

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
It took 10 weeks for mine to come back when I passed. Unfortunately the DVLA are just slow, you can still drive as there's no reason for them to deny you licence, you just need to be patient with the DVLA, if you don't hear anything back within the 90 days just give them another call.

Sent from Diabetes.co.uk Forum App

kev4182

Hello,

Good news: I had a call from them today 21/05/13 and licence should be with me in 2 weeks. Medical team at DVLA asked me questions over the phone today and then say "your licence is on it way today".. so hopefully will get it soon.

Thank you hale710 and Lucypieee for your reply. (sorry if any words are misspelled)

Kevin (kev4182)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice one! I hated mine being away as I had no id and I have a baby face I always forgot to take my ID with me to asda and once got refused to buy shoe polish.....

kev4182

Good news: postwoman delivered my Driving licence this morning.

Happy now :smile:

Funny because everyone asks for id now, even for small things like bic razors...when the shop keeper can see i have a beard :lol:

Kevin (kev4182) (sorry for any misspelled words)
:smile:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SAH154

I applied for my 3 year renewal start of October (licence expired January 2013) and still not had it I've phoned up and all they said is 'we have a backlog' and they sent me a letter sayings it's ok to drive until they make a decision