Is 3.5mmol to 3.9 mmol normal in non diabetics?

lottie_113

I am not diabetic (that I know of). I'm female in my twenties, I was checked once for diabetes as my ethnicity and strong family history puts me at an increased risk but the test was normal. I'm a trainee healthcare professional, and once after feeling unwell when working within a hospital (on a long shift, nothing to eat) my blood glucose was checked by a colleague and was 2.9mmols. I had something sugary and was fine. I usually feel ok but sometimes I wake up feeling very dizzy, light headed, weak etc so I check my blood sugar and it's always under 4mmols. Today, I had the day off so woke up, ate a breakfast of mixed fruit (grapes, melon, mango) and didn't feel right, so checked my blood glucose about an hour later, and it was 3.9mmols. I then had coffee with sugar, and a low fat yoghurt and it went to 4.2mmols. Two hours after that it had dropped to 3.5mmols. I have checked my sugars throughout the day just to experiment and even after sugary drinks, or sweets, my sugars never really go much over 5mmols. I'm usually between 3 to 3.9, or lower if I don't eat for long periods of time. Is this normal/okay?

Thanks in advance for any replies

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those figures seem a bit too low.

Go see your GP to be sure.

As an example DVLA guidelines say you should not drive if you are 4 or less!

A "normal" blood sugar level is 4 to 8 mmol/l

SAH154

scottish-jim said:
Those figures seem a bit too low.

Go see your GP to be sure.

As an example DVLA guidelines say you should not drive if you are 4 or less!

A "normal" blood sugar level is 4 to 8 mmol/l

I think the DVLA use the below 4 for diabetics in case of further drops and you get more pronounced symptoms as a diabetic unless it's ultra well controlled

As for the OP the normal range for non diabetics varies according on which article you read but a general guide is 3.5-7.8
If yours falls to below 3.5 your pancreas should release glucagon which works extremely fast if this is not happening then yu may be suffering from non diabetic hypoglycaemia which from the few people I've met with this condition they are advised to eat small amounts every 2 hours between meals.

But the best course of action is to see a doctor