Beach holiday / tanning issues / not wanting to look like Sp

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I'm so pleased I found this app! I'm an almost 30yr old (!!!!) woman, who was diagnosed at 13yrs with type 1. From the age of 15 until last year I had not seen a diabetic consultant or team as I was told I was excellently controlled ( on MDI's). However having started a new job where I'm dashing around a lot of the time I lost a lost of weight fast (over 2st in less than a year) and stupidly didn't even think to reduce my insulin. I then had 2 severe hypos, one in May and another in December 2012. I found out at the end of Aug that i was pregnant, however my G.P delayed referring me to the diabetic team and unfortunately i miscarried at the start of Oct. Due to working shifts, the hypos, wanting to get pregnant again etc, and the fact we've now established I suffer from dawn phenomenon, I was put on an Accu-Chek Combo on 18/3/13. However, for some reason I was never invited to an open day and had never spoken to anyone who had used / uses a pump.

Within the first few days the diabetic team said they couldn't stop smiling due to how great my levels were and how quick I took to it. However something's not quite right now and levels aren't so good, but having read some discussions on here I've found some really helpful suggestions to things.

Now the main thing I'd really like some advice on right now. I know I'm probably going to sound quite shallow but I'm still in the throws of getting to grips with the pump and the fact it's not massively discrete.......but since I'm finally back to a size 8, I'm enjoying my new figure and a bit peeved with the pump for taking away the nice contours lol.

The summer is coming up and the recent nice weather we're having has made me realise that if I go in the sun to get a tan, then I've got a really stupid circular white patch where the cannula is / was.

Is this just something I'm going to have to put up with / live with? To finally have a nice figure again but never want to wear a bikini in public on holiday due to looking like Spot the dog (character in kids book for those who don't know).

Please, please, please can someone advise me on how to best manage this / issues like this regarding beach holidays etc. I'd be eternally grateful.

Leanne x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re: Beach holiday / tanning issues / not wanting to look lik

Ok, straight to the point. Quick solution is to put the canula in your but cheek. That way circle thingy is under your bikini. Havnt put mine there as yet also recently got a pump, yay, but I do know other members on here have.
Also, hi and welcome lol. Any other concerns/questions just ask or pm if u want.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Cheers for your response Brett. I had thought about doing that but I guess I'm just a little anxious about using that site with a pump. Not entirely sure why, but yesterday I put the cannula on my thigh for the first time and so far seems ok. I guess it's just a stupid fear of the unknown.

weeezer

Hi Leanne

Lovin Brett's idea, cannula in bottom area and the pump can hook on bikini bottoms!? Has your pump got a skin or a holder that can hook? You'll look like a Bond girl!

I've had the combo since August last year, and haven't had a beachy hol with it yet. I ponder what I'd do, always thought I'd remove it and go back to mdi but I'm not so sure now.

I have great levels for ages then an unexplainable blip happens where levels are out of whack for a bit too.

I fell pg last year unexpectedly, having been through the process twice before (doing the preconception clinic to hone levels to as close to perfect as could get en etc) i knew that I needed urgent referral to antenatal diabetes clinic, so popped along to doc, was totally clueless. I had to guide him! As I was around 6 weeks before realising I said we get early scans to date the pregnancy and he sent me for one the next day. So don't hesitate to boss your gp around and tell them you need to see the clinic ASAP. I miscarried too, at around 10 weeks, so feeling your pain hun :( got the combo because of all that though, my previous pregnancy was plagued with serious hypo's.

Good luck with it all & happy holidays However you decide to play it!

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thanks Weeezer, it's comforting to know there's others who have faced / are facing or have similar issues. I was a bit peeved with my G.P last year, as before trying for a baby I went to him and asked what I needed to do (thinking he would know) and was told to buy folic acid from shop and that once pregnant to book in with midwife and be seen at 8 week booking apt. Straight away I told him I needed the higher strength folic acid, which he then looked up and prescribed, but unfortunately I did not know to push to be seen by diabetes team prior to anything else. However, I do believe things happen for a reason, even though that reason may not be apparent at the time. I miscarried at 9 weeks, and of course was devastated, but maybe now I'm on the pump it'll help me to provide any potential little beans that may be, a much safer and healthier incubator for it to thrive in :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

hope you both have some luck in the future but is key to get your diabetic team on board before, during and after as you both know. Gps even not having an expert field in diabetes should of known that.

Ps, let me know how u get on with the cannula lol

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

I was thinking about the cannula issue today when i was at the beach! Also, i sun burned my legs a bit (accidentally) and it got me thinking about if that had happened on my tum and how i would go about inserting a cannula on to sun burnt skin - ouch!

Lots to try out this summer, though hopefully no more sun burn...

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

hi, I was just interested in the subject of sunbathing with a pump.
I thought that youd have to keep insulin and pump out of the sun in case it over heated?? I was paranoid about this when in Spain and on the beach or by the pool but maybe I shouldnt have worried?
:D

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hiya, I know when actually sunbathing it's advisable to put the pump under a towel / out of direct sunlight. But with regards to walking around in just a bikini etc, I'm not sure if it's just a matter of limiting time in direct sunlight. I've spent some of today gardening in shorts and bikini top, but kept my pump in my pocket. I'm going to enquire with diabetes team as to how much more regularly the cartridge will need changing in situations like this. Coz whether in shorts pocket or not, the insulin will still be getting quite warm.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

I've been to Greece 3 times with a medtrnoic pump now. Each time I have seen no deterioration in the insulin and change set normally every 3 days. I walk around with pump clipped to shorts but with t/shirt covering the actual pump and I also try and switch it over to the opposite side of the sun. I'm am not a huge sunbather but I do go to the beaches. Then I just have it lying at my side and cover with a piece of clothing or beach towel. It's true to say I don't lie out in the sun for hours on end though and prefer the sunshade over me a lot of the time. I wear a tankini and can see how bikinis and pumps wouldn't be very compatible as the brief is usually a bit shorter and wouldn't cover the cannula. I detach for swimming and the only thing I do when I get our of the sea is rinse the cannula with bottle water to get rid of the salt.

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Thanks for that Riri.....I stupidly hadn't even thought about rinsing the cannula.....maybe logic may kick in more readily when I'm in the situation. Do you also check your BM each time you come out of the sea to then give any insulin needed for any increase in BM while in the sea and not attached to pump?

weeezer

Ah yes, forgot about the industrial strength folic. Glad you knew, if we left it all to gp's where would we be!? You should have access to a 'pre-conception clinic', or at the very least an appt with your diabetes 'team' to discuss early pregnancy etc.

I've gone swimming a few times, and am 'off pump' for about an hour each time, always test as soon as in re-attached in case need a bolus but always in range. Think the activity counters a rise in bgl. Often spend an hour in the bath too and rarely need bolus after, maybe the heat helps? So short amount of time without being connected seems to be fine!

The only time I've ever been disconnected for any length of time was by accident, after being slightly 'tipsy' and taking it off for a 'romp' with my hubby (tmi soz) and falling asleep after. woke up a few hours later to sky high levels, but reattached and bolused and all was well. Quite irresponsible of me though!

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people

Hia - think I picked up the 'rinsing' bit from a poster on here :thumbup: I test before I go swimming and if it's 6 or 7 I tend to not test afterwards as I don't swim too energeticly :crazy: As I don't detach from the pump for more than 30 minutes at a time normally, I find that there's no need to make any bolus adjustments.