Hello from Germany

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello, my name is Vera, I´m from Germany and my daughter has got typ 1 Diabetes since six years. I´m also writing in an German forum and now I´m interested in how the diabetes is treated in the U.K. which problems there are and what works better in the U.K. so I´m looking forward to read some interesting things here in the forum.
One of the problems I often read in the german forums is that children with diabetes are often not allowed to go to to a school trip or to student exchange. Is this the same in the U.K.?
Should I ask this in the parental forum?
Thank you for reading and posting
Vera

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Sunday

Welcome the Forum. I hope that you find it a palce where you can get more knowledge to help your daughter with her diabetes. I have moved your post to the Parents Forum so that other parents can let you know about their experiences.

Warm regards

Doug

Blondie153

Hello Vera and welcome. So far I have found that it is entirely up to the teacher or principal whether a child can go in a school trip or not. If they feel comfortable with the injections pump etc then they will take you. If not they have the right to say no. Although the diabetic team would say they are being discriminated against. I hear that Germany is a good place to have diabetes if there is such a place!!! You get 2 weeks training in the beginning and an extra holiday each year and you can retire early are any of these myth's true???? M

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello Blondy, thank you for your answer,
it´s true, we got two weeks in hospital were my daughter and I have been introduced to the things we had to know about diabetes.
My daughter was twelve years old. After almost a year she got an insulin pump and she had another training at the hospital for five days. If the bloodsugar isn´t good for some weeks she can go to the hospital for three days to have trainings and the doctor will look and change things.
How is this handled in the UK?
The extra holiday and the earlier retire you can get if you have 50 % in the severely handicaped pass. But if you have this it could be that you don´t find a place to work so many people don´t have that.
Children can get an "h" in their pass (which means helpless) than they can go by bus without paying.

Hello Doug
thank you so much.

warm greetings for you both Vera

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Vera, I can comment on both the UK treatment and German as I was diagnosed back in 1997 when I lived in Germany, and I feel truly blessed to have been diagnosed there and not in the UK. I too was admitted to hospital for 2 weeks and was not allowed to leave until both my parents and myself had been properly trained in how manage my diabetes well. I was taught to carb count from day 1, which allowed me over 15 years of excellent control. In my experience, Germany was about 8 years ahead of England when it came to both teaching and supporting diabetics to safely manage their diabetes. I cannot however comment on the differences in how schools in the different countries operate, as I attended a British school while living there. It seems a little bizarre and unreasonable for the care and support there to be so good and yet the children can be discriminated against regarding excursions etc. It was always explained to the schools I attended that I was we'll controlled and could manage my diabetes well by myself and so it never prevented me from doing anything.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sunday

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your experience.
My daughter also never had problems but I know from other children that they are not allowed to go with the class or to go to another country for an exchange.

Do you have diabetes doctors in UK or do you have to go to a nurse? Or are the nurses at school?
We don´t have any nurses at school if someone´s ill the parents have to pick up their ill child. There is a sickroom at each school, where the children can rest when they don´t feel good.