Hypo Alert Monitors.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Just a quick question has anyone seen or have a hypo alert monitor. Thet work on the thing of it detects changes, like cold sweats etc. Just wondering if they are worth laying out the £80 to the hundreds of pounds for one. And if they really work in detecting a hypo?? Interested to know.

karla0304

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there.

I was asked to try one of these as a pilot and compare it to the CGM system that I run. The "watch" unfortunately didn't pick up many of the dips in blood sugar. I found it to be quite unreliable especially if its a warm night and you are sweating. I, personally, wouldn't buy one, but that's me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for that, good to know.

iHs

Julie

I have no idea on what you are doing re your target ranges and how you are adjusting your insulin so that you can get higher bg levels, but if you have genuinely lost your awareness, then surely your consultant could make a special case and apply for you to have funding for a cgm. You would then have a lot of your problems solved.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sorry iHs, I have only just seen your post sorry. My consultant has not really done anything to help, he is doing the same thing all my past Dr's and Consultants have done for the past years, which is repeat everything the last one has done, which is it works for a little while, then it all goes up the wall. Which it is now doing again, like all the times previous(insanity= to continue to do the same thing time & time again expecting a different out come). He has told me that I need to do a Katie course(daphne), and give it six months to see how it works, I've now been waiting a year and had 2 referrals made to attend the course and still nothing, he has told me that I would need cgm to go with the pump and that a way round funding it, would be found. I am trying my best not to get down heartened (but sometimes it's hard not to). A couple of jelly babies or a few skittles, to get me out the start of a hypo if I'm not starting to fit, sends my blood sugar soaring. I've tried to run a bit higher, for a few days to a week, and this has not helped at all. At my last appointment Dr Williams said I may not get them back at all.

cjw

I had a glucowatch a few years ago but it didn't work for me. I now have a medtronic pump with CGM via a sensor attached to me at all times. It is not perfect as the readings are taken from interstital (sp?) fluid rather than blood but it warns me when my readings drop quickly or reach a level that I have set on it. I then do a blood test to check. It works great from me as lost my awareness.
For my NHS trust losing hypo awareness means they will pay for all this for me.
I am also on a waiting list for an islet cells transplant.