Insulin Pens

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have my annual M.O.T. coming up next month.

I'm on quite low doses of insulin, so I'd really like to change to a pen which allowed 1/2 unit doses rather than the 1 unit doses my Lilly pens deliver.

Does anyone use a 1/2 unit pen they could recommend?

All the best,

fergusc

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Fergusc

Novo pens come in a half unit version. I think they are meant for children, but like you I only use small amounts.
May not be suitable for the insulin you are taking though.
All the best
Cally

Claire

Hi Fergus

My nurse was talking about getting me a half unit pen...but that was a few months ago and nothing has materialised. Am back at the consultant beginning of April and will mention it again as it would be SO helpful.

Claire

Lady J

Like Cally, as I understand it one of the Novorapid pens does a half dose and it is a child's pen.

A word of warning from other people I know who've tried it (and it's common sense really) that the accuracy when you are talking about such teeny tiny doses can't always be 100%. Probably worth a shot, though, Ferg, since you're a low-carber (and so probably shoot quite low doses generally).

LJ

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks Cally and LJ.

Yes, low doses bring their own complications. I usually need 2 units at lunchtime, but if my BS is slightly higher then I'll use 3. Doesn't sound like much, but it's a 50% increase for me which can make the outcome a little more uncertain.

I've heard of pens in the US capable of delivering not just 1/2 unit doses, but 1/4 units even! That's got to be less than the wee drip at the end of the needle for Christ's sake! Still if there's a 1/2 unit pen for grown-ups out there, I want it.

All the best,

Fergus

Claire

Thanks for that link..I will be pushing for one :D

Fergus, I have the same problem that 1 unit change either way can throw me out!

Claire

Mandarin

I have just spoken to my nurse about the novo pen demi who didnt know it existed but has just changed my prescription and I should be able to pick one up on saturday.

Hopefully it will help to make my control a little better.

Just wanted to say thanks to sofaraway for the link.

Mandarin

Picked up my new pen this morning.
Was 4.6 before lunch, had 30g carbs, 4.5 units novorapid (1.5 units per 10g). Sugar is now 4.7.
How cool is that!! :D

Claire

That sounds so good! I am on 0.5 units per 10g and I REALLY want a half unit pen now!!! Will ring the hospital on Monday and speak to someone about it.

Claire

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
That sounds like the pen for me! I'll see if I can get my hands on one at the clinic next time around. Thanks everyone.

I guess it will mean goodbye to the Humalog and hello Novorapid?

Has anyone had experience of moving from one to the other? I've never used Novorapid and it's always an anxious time changing insulins.

What do we think?

All the best,

fergusc

Claire

Wow, I'm so excited...

Just phoned up the diabetes unit and they have some half unit pens - all I have to do is pop in on my way home and pick one up!

Fergus - they did mention that there were different pens depending on what insulin you use, so maybe you won't have to change to Novorapid?

Claire

Claire

Well, I've got it :)

Except, it's not the pen that the link was for, the Novopen Demi...it's a kids' pen called Novopen Junior, all neon swirls lol

Am quite excited!

Fergus, there were two pens for me to choose from when I got there and I'm pretty sure the other was a Lily pen for Humalog.

Claire

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks for that, Claire. I'll have a root around for that Lily pen, I think. Changing insulins is something fraught with danger and I'd rather stick with what I'm used to. Enjoy the funky pen! All the best, fergusc.

Tinkerbell

Hi Everyone

Lilly also make a 1/2 unit pen called Luxura
http://www.humalog.com/patient/humapen_luxura.jsp

Although Lilly pens cant be used with Novo insulins, I think they can be used with Apidra and Lantus cartridges. All you have to do is tighten up the cartridge holder, screw on needle and then expel about 5 units of insulin before priming. :)

Sally
MDI - Apidra & Lantus

:)) Takes one to know one

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks a million, Sally!

I use a Luxura pen at the moment so it would be dead easy to trade up to the HD version. You've made my day!

All the best,

fergusc

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Joy! Rapture!

I picked up a spanking new Lilly Luxura HD pen from my clinic at lunchtime today. Half unit doses here I come!

Sally, I owe you one.

Thanks a million.

Fergus