Doesn't make sense??

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Hi,
Does this make sense? My BG was 5.0, 2 hrs after meal 8.9? All I had was a large salad (spinach, 3 colours of peppers {not whole ones}, pickled veg, tomatoes, cauliflower {2 florets}, 1/2 pork pie, small (2 tablespoons) of Pasta, same with coleslaw!! Why are my figures so high, don't understand this as no bread which I spike on and nothing out of the ordinary, I don't think anyway. Was going to have some bread just as well! Oh, tin of diet coke over 2.5 hrs!!
Any ideas out there?
Cheers :crazy:

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Fructose in tomato perhaps? But the diet coke would spike me!

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

eaglet

Dislikes
Neil Walters said:

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Hi Neil,
I eat loads of tomatoes and never have a problem, that's what's confusing. !/2 a pork pie shouldn't be a problem either I wouldn't have thought?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Lol all I had was 3 loaves of bread 6 kilos of potatoes and an entire rice paddy, lol just playing

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I would say it's certainly the pork pie.

For one thing, if you look at the ingredients, you'll probably find it has sugar added. Moreover, it has an enormous amount of animal fat, in both the meat and (probably) the pastry too.

Animal fat always makes my blood-sugar increase, though quite slowly. If anyone out there knows exactly why that should be, I'd like to know.

eaglet

Dislikes
Thanks for your reply, but, as said, I don't think I had enough pork pie, less than 1/2! On the occaisional treat day I can have a fry up and my figures are good after the 2 hrs??
Cheers :?:

Smoothy

eaglet said:
Hi,
Does this make sense? My BG was 5.0, 2 hrs after meal 8.9?

Did you wash your hands and retest? More than once I've had residue of food on my hands and forgot to wash them before testing. Couple of weeks back we had salad and steak for supper, i opened Popsicles for sons' desserts, got distracted and didn't wash hands, tested at 2 hrs with a result of 19.3. After remembering Popsicles, washed hands, retest was much better at 5.8.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
nomistheman said:
Neil Walters said:

WOW! Really? I've read somewhere that some sweetners can raise blood sugar but, never actually known anyone to suffer that affliction!

Yep - artificial or not the sweeteners affect me - the strange thing is if you cut them all out eventually lots of things taste sweet - milk, bread, shredded wheat, tomatoes, etc etc all thinks that have natural sugars in them which makes lots of sense when you think about it. The simple fact is my system does not seem to tolerate sugar in any form in any significant quantity.

I usen to smoke red Marlboro and they also had the same effect!