Completion of DIAB1

Trayceht

Hi

Has anyone experienced any problems with the DVLA when completing the DIAB1 form & answering that you have experienced episodes of hypoglycaemia but NOT had any severe episodes (requiring assistance).

I am currently in the process of appealing a decision they made to revoke my licence back in December & now following GP reports & a letter from myself outlining their error in their decision they have now after 4 long months informed me that I can reapply for my licence which should never have been revoked in the first place!!

Thanks
Tracy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No problems to date but I'll 'bump' your post up so that you get may get more replies.

JIMDOG1

Dislikes
patranising dr and nurses lol
nomistheman said:
Interesting link ilnar.

What is a safe blood glucose concentration for driving?
In a person with good hypoglycaemia awareness, a normal blood glucose concentration is
adequate, although ABCD, the DVLA and Diabetes UK recommend testing before driving and
at no longer than 2 hourly intervals during a long period of driving. For people with impaired
awareness, ABCD recommend not driving without eating if the blood glucose is under
7mmol/L, although a lower concentration (above 5mmol/L) is probably safe for a drive of
under 10 minutes.
I'm a type 2 and only on metformin (1500mg day) but, had a Blood Glucose level the other day of 4.8 mmol/L - I wasn't or about to drive but, if I were where would I stand regarding DVLA and Insurance? :think:

Especially, as according to direct.gov DVLA don't require me to notify them of my Diabetes type 2. :?

You do if your type 2 on insulin short or long acting I've got the 3yr ticket and its safer to follow the general rule test before u drive and two hours if driving long distance

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sammeh5678

None at all. I had to reapply for mine in March this year and I have had 7 spots of DKA and I'm still allowed my licence, however it is because my doctor isn't good at his job.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App