Breakfast for 11 month old diabetic baby?

Lotstar

This is my first visit to diabetes uk, my 11 month old baby boy was diagnosed a month ago and put on the pump 3 weeks ago. We're back home now and I am rally struggling with his blood sugar post breakfast. I was told by the hospital dietician that he can eat whatever he wants so long as he is given the right amount of insulin. The problem is his insulin to carb ratios have not been worked out yet and the consultant is keen for me to stick to fixed boluses with correction doses for highs for the time being. Breakfast is just crazy! He has a big portion of either oats and banana or weetabix and banana, 2 hours later he is always high, just tested him now and is was 23.9. Does anyone have any suggestions for a lower carb breakfast suitable for a hungry baby? All I can think of is eggs! Thanks

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Eggs are good, make them into omelettes. Baked eggs with cheese on top. But also remember we brits are notoriously traditional when it comes to brekkie. Kids aren't fussy about what they eat or when, so cold meats, cheese etc are good too a la continental. And he can feed himself then. Bits of fruit etc. Its a good age to get him used to lots of different food tastes, think outside the box too.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lotstar
I don't envy you the journey you are beginning. Bringing up a healthy child is difficult enough without diabetes.
However as has already been written, cereal is not the only breakfast. In fact cereals will put his blood glucose up; egg based meals are very good, nutritious and low carb. You could try making some of the old recipes like posset or savoury custard. perhaps he's still too little for a whole hen's egg. If he likes egg, you might find him some quails eggs, so he gets special ones for himself. When he's a little older perhaps things like salami sticks. My 2 1/2 year old non-diabetic grandson likes what he calls "dippy egg". Soft boiled egg with toast "soldiers". Of course there's always scramble. What about stewed fruit with no added sugar? It has natural sugars, but you can minimise that with the choice of fruits. Berries are lowest. or wholemilk yogurt with crushed berries? there's at least one good brand available for weening children, which he might have had before. Lidl has an excellent whole milk yogurt sold in large pots, which you can freeze in portion sizes It's worth trying goat's cheese too. An easy to digest food. Or white fish? I'd keep the starch to a small portion. onfce you find somethin that he likes and that works, I'd make batches and freeze. He'll be a much better nourished little boy than most of his contemporaries without diabetes.
Hope that helps at least a bit. I wish you and your little one All that's good
hana

Reactions: 2 people

MrsDMiles

Hi
My little boy was diagnosed in feb he is almost 3, and it's such hard work.
Just letting you know couple of fab Facebook groups

Diabetic mums

Parents if children with type1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

leggott

I would insist that they teach you how to carb count. this will enable you to adjust the dose depending on what your baby is eating. carb counting is very easy and will help you become more confident when giving the insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

catw

I have v similar problem with my daughter now 3. Huge spikes after breakfast but then hypo pre lunch. Pre bolus at least part of insulin 10 mins or so before eating. Unfortunately cereals are v high gi and banana high in carbs. We have much better result with yoghurt and brown bread or half a weetabix with milk. Good luck

Lotstar

Thank you all so much for relying, I've been feeling so lost and alone with all this, it's so good to hear from others who know what we're going through! I will certainly be trying out some of the suggestions, starting with plain old scrambled eggs tomorrow. I'm seeing the consultant on Tuesday and will be pushing for more info on carb counting. Thanks again x

clarke8828

Hi Lotstar,

Really sorry to hear of your babys recent diagnosis, my daughter is 11 yrs old and was diagnosed in march this year.

It has been really tough, her blood sugars were all over the place highs, lows and we struggles to keep them under control. The diabetic team didnt want to introduce us to carb counting too soon as they didnt want to give too much information.

However in the end i said that i just needed to learn it and quick as i was really struggling to cope with all the worry of it. The diabetic dietician came to see us a few times at home we kept food diarys for a while to get the insulin to carb ratios correct and then it took a bit of learning but we got there.

Her blood sugars only became alot more stable since doing insulin to carb ratios, we still sometimes get highs and lows but generally they have been alot better doing it this way. I have even learnt and you will too how to adjust the insulin to carb ratios if needed.

I feel alot better since we have been doing the insulin to carbs counting and actually feel like we are more in control of it than the drs and nurses. I was ringing them all the time in the first month now i havent called them for weeks. So i would def ask for them to teach you carb counting very soon, as that way your baby can eat what he likes as long as the insulin given is correct and covers it.

Things like beans are good as only half the carbs count as they are high in fibre with brown bread for toast, cheese isnt counted as carbs so cheesy scrambled egg, yoghurt with fruit like strawberrys, apple, blueberries, raspberries.

Good luck

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Hi, my son was dx as an 8 month old and he was having weetabix for breakfast and still is as a 6 year old. I actually cut banana out of his diet for a while as I found it impossible to carb count. The riper the banana the more carbs and then hardly any in a just ripe banana. I still have a much higher I:C in the morning. You should be able to make adjustments slowly to get reasonable results but my experience of having an infant with T1 is that levels will be a bit all over the place and you just keep going as best you can. I would have had a HI every few days but we were on needles so was a little more restricted than you on a pump. Are you diluting insulin?

David147

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
At 11 months , I am assuming he/she has a few teeth.
What do you eat for breakfast? Toast, fruit, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles(my daughter loved Eggo waffles) um french toast. The only thing my daughter did not and still does not like is potatoes. But I would try some great foods like that and they can eat them by them selves. make them finger type foods.
My daughter from the time she was about 7 months old(she had a mouth full of teeth) ate what ever we ate and then had a bottle.
So it really depends on the child. And what they can handle.
Experiment that's what I did.
No honey tho, that's the only thing you should not give a baby.
Good luck.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 2 year old is not diabetic but thinking of the things I feed him that would not spike me.

Eggs - omelette, scrambled, frittata, boiled.
Avocado - easy and nutritious
Ham, smoked salmon
Grated cheese
Some people can tolerate porridge better than others. I think it can reduce spikes to use big oats and maybe bulk it out. When I make porridge for my toddler I always put a couple spoonfuls of greek yoghurt in to cool it down but that might help smooth out the spikes.
Peanut butter / nut butters - as long as no nut allergies they are filling and nutritious. Maybe experiment with what you spread them on - if bread is problematic try crackers or oatcakes or ricecakes.
Cream cheese / houmous - again might need to think about what you spread it on. Or dip something into them.
Dhal (lentils) - I have made this for my little boy since he was first weaning and he loves it (just remembered this is a breakfast thread but thought I'd include it anyway)

Applenerd81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs
Scrambled eggs with cheese and double cream, delicious for both kids and adults :)