Help confused type 1

Sezchapman

Hi, I have a son 15yrs old diagnosed with type 1 June 25 2012. My son has a number of other special needs ADHD, which does not help with sugar levels. OCD and on the autistic spectrum. What I am concerned about as when I read a lot of topics on here people say about not having a lot of sugary foods. My diabetic nurse and dietician said if he wants cake, in moderation with his meal not to worry if your carb counting and giving the insulin, it's just hat he would have had before only his body would have been able to adjust for it. Do you think with a a balanced diet cakes and chocolate accounted for is ok. My son is doing all his own injections but shows no interest of his need of learning to know about how to carb count and work out dosages, or dial up his needle. I am very worried for his future life, I often think about the negatives like the complications. I have a daughter who is 13 and I worry She will get it.This diagnoses has made life even harder for my whole family, as well as all the other needs, like so many others in this situation.
I wish I could find him a friend who had this and that he could relate to, as he panics people are looking at him when he had to do injections out. I would appreciate any feedback on his matter.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
I have moved this to the Parents part of the forum in the hope that someone will be able to address the issues you raise

Take care

Doug

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
My son is a bit young compared to yours but he also has Down syndrome. I do believe, in moderation, all foods can be eaten. I would be a little concerned that food coloring and preservatives may make your son's other conditions harder to deal with. If they are not a factor and it is only diabetes you are concerned about it may mean that someone else needs to supervise what he is eating and working out the carbs and dose. Don't panic about your daughter. She may never get diabetes or even have a predisposition. They do make nice skins for pens to make them less noticeable. Maybe that would help when he is out.

Mr Happy

Hi, my children are autistic and their traits involve routine and they have insane mathematical ability. Could you possibly look to record his measurements and set rewards on a big chart for him or perhaps in this new fandagled age use an App...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App