First overseas trip since diagnosis

BexC89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys,

Tomorrow I'm heading off on my first overseas holiday since diagnosis and was wondering whether you had any tips for me as I'm a bit nervous!

For example, I have organised a hospital letter and have made sure I've got a back-up supply of equipment. Do you tend to take food with you on the plane?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bex

erinkirby

Hi Bex,

I guess it depends on where you're going as things like the length of flight and type of country you're going to will make a difference to the things you need to think about.

I often fly to New Zealand so am used to long haul flights, and I just make sure I test regularly and take my insulin according to test results and what I've been served to eat. Do you carb count? If so, just continue to do that whenever you're served food on the plane. I often find my glucose levels go up a bit when I'm flying long haul, probably because you're very inactive during a long flight and you tend to eat more as they always seem to be handing out food! Be wary of taking food like fruit with you if you're travelling long haul - don't make the mistake I did and take an apple on the plane with you only to forget it's in your hand luggage, not declare it at the other end, and receive a NZ$200 fine for your troubles! :oops:

If you're on a short haul flight, your question of whether to take food with you or not will probably depend on whether the airline you're travelling with serves meals. Don't forget to take glucose with you though, or whatever you normally use for treating hypos.

I always take all my diabetic medication (insulin, blood test kit, etc) in my hand luggage just in case anything happens to my hold luggage - vital! If you're worried about carrying liquid (insulin) in your hand luggage, just tell the airport security staff before your bag goes through the x-ray machine that you have insulin in your bag and they will just wave you through. I've never had a problem with that, although the letter you've organised from the hospital will help if there are any problems.

Are you going to a hot climate? If so, don't forget that if you're out and about in the hot sun all day with your insulin in your bag that the heat will have a bad effect on your insulin and won't be as efficient as it would be if it was kept cool. I'd highly recommend you get one of those portable cooler bags (you can get ones specifically for your insulin pen) if you are travelling to somewhere hot. It took me ages during my first holiday in Greece to realise my glucose levels were so high because my insulin was in the sun all day!

I hope that's helped somewhat, but feel free to ask any more specific questions you might have. Have fun! :thumbup:

Erin

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Hi.
I fly quite regularly. I used to tell airport security. But don't inform anybody anymore. Never had any problems. Only been questioned once and when I produced my prescription form I was waved on.

The firo bags are excellent for keeping insulin cool, and keep all you diabetic supplies in your hand luggage. Take at least twice as much as you need and extras of everything. Then I split my supplies between the hotel room or another person and myself if on the move. Depends where you are going but some countries sell insulin over the counter, others will keep you waiting all day and cost you a fortune!

Have a nice holiday!

LittleWolf

Definitely take more insulin than you think you'll need, especially as you may want to treat yourself on holiday. When my T1 friend came to meet me in the UK for the first time he ran out of insulin on the last day and he usually knows exactly what he needs. He also used pens rather than syringes and they seemed pretty nifty.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

russo109

Just out of interest I'm off to Rome next week. With rergads to my insulin is it OK to go through the X Ray scanners which your hand luggage and personal items goes through or should I carry it by hand through the people scanners?

hzlwebster

My insulin went through hand baggage scanners with no problems to Canada. My mobile alarm for injecting 24 hour Lantus was a big help, especially with 8 hour time difference from UK.

hzlwebster

My insulin went through hand baggage scanners with no problems to Canada. My mobile alarm for injecting 24 hour Lantus was a big help, especially with 8 hour time difference from UK.