glucagon

kocall

ive been reading a post on glucagon
ive been type 1 for 14yrs & never heard of the stuff does every type 1 have this at hand should i ack my doc for some ???

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Interesting. Diabetic for 14 years too and although i know about it, no one has said I should have this to hand. I will ask GP at next visit. Am I right in thinking that partners/friends etc, need to be trained to use this if needed?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personal choice really, advised to have if you have either severe hypos, our hypo unawareness. Usually somee fast acting sugar will do the job if you have hypo awareness.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Riri said:
Interesting. Diabetic for 14 years too and although i know about it, no one has said I should have this to hand. I will ask GP at next visit. Am I right in thinking that partners/friends etc, need to be trained to use this if needed?

Yes they do Riri, what they recommend you to do is when the expiry date is up on the Glucagon Kit they can practice using the injection on something like an orange, I've never needed to use mine but its nice to know its there if an emergency arose and I couldn't treat myself.

Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Did Dafne last week and only found out about it then. Seems the DSN who took the course seems to think everybodies GP gives them out , or not lol.

But yes , have one for safe keeping.

Riesenburg

Dislikes
Doctors who know less about diabetes and endocrinology than their patients.
I wouldn't say it's essential, usually when you get to the point where an ambulance is called the paramedics give you a glucagon shot. Causes the liver to release the glycogen/sugar reserves out into the blood stream to get you out of the hypo. It's an intra-muscular injection which can make it a bit more tricky to give than an insulin one.

I only got mine 2 years ago when I was having a lot of uncontrollable hypos (about 8 a day!). Also something to keep in mind although it is very rare it is possible to have an allergic reaction to glucagon injections.

ivinghoe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
professional football
I have one at home and one at work ... theyd never get a paramedic easily to most of the places i work but we do have an occupational nurse and first aiders who ive told what to do... just incase

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had it in the house when I was a child until I went to university. At that point I wasn't living with anyone who I knew enough or trusted enough to administer it. Since then I haven't had any in the house. The times I've needed it / needed medical assistance have happened in 'non-normal' circumstances, ie - away from home and when extremely exhausted so I didn't wake up in time to treat the hypo myself.

I live alone now so there's no point having it, but then I have much better control than I did as a child and 2000 was the last time I needed assitance from someone else.... it's something I try not to think about too much because living alone with something like this condition will scare the pants off me if I let it. :lol:

de130770

first it can be given 1 of 3 ways
sc subcut like insulin
im intermuscula in the mussel
iv in to the vane

but eather way it is very inportent that you eat somtinge with in 10 minets of having it

sharonValerie

You should not give a glucagon injection into the vein, the kits are specific for leg or arm, or bum or stomach, anywhere on the body and no need to remove clothes, I have had it via IV at the hospital, it make you VOMIT INSTANTLY. I have been given it as part of a Clamp Test otherwise it is not recommended. The instructions for use are in the box. My daughter has used it following the instructions as had my mum. Having suffered severe hypoglycemia over many years Glucagon and I are very good friends. Normally only take 15 minutes to work though I have received on occasion 2 shots.