where does cheese come from

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I bet someone will post the wrong answer.
images

I have just found out that many adults do not know where cheese comes from or how it is made.
I thought cheese came from a cow or tesco.Made using chemicals to make it look good and tasty.
Catherinecherub's thread about "does cheese grow on trees" is very interesting,yet where food comes from is not as easy to answer.
Do fish fingers actually come from fish.
There is also a way to ask a question to make the answer difficult.

Roy, :) ( I will always believe in Santa )

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
How about from the curd of milk? - any milk, I suppose.

(Though not from the likes of coconut milk, of course.)

Ps. If we're talking about cheese made from cow's milk, then I've just realised (after looking in a dictionary) that cheese effectively comes from out of the cow's stomach. Because that's where rennet - an unweaned calf's own innate form of 'cheese', which needs to be added to the curd - properly comes from.

Ugh!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Thanks for reminding me why I hate cheese :lol:

kellibabi

Just had a (disgusting) thought - if we can make cheese from cows milk, goats milk etc - can it also be made from rat milk?
Oooh, I feel sick now! :sick:

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
kellibabi said:
Just had a (disgusting) thought - if we can make cheese from cows milk, goats milk etc - can it also be made from rat milk?
Oooh, I feel sick now! :sick:

And breast milk lol

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ever tried that horse milk cheese called Filly or that pig's milk cheese called Porcorino?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
michaeldavid said:
How about from the curd of milk? - any milk, I suppose.

(Though not from the likes of coconut milk, of course.)

Ps. If we're talking about cheese made from cow's milk, then I've just realised (after looking in a dictionary) that cheese effectively comes from out of the cow's stomach. Because that's where rennet - an unweaned calf's own innate form of 'cheese', which needs to be added to the curd - properly comes from.

Ugh!

Got to give Michaeldavid a star,
Eveshamgal gets a star for a good contribution to class.

Animal and vegetable rennet is used to produce cheese.
Microbial rennet is also used in the production of cheese.

The question was "where does cheese come from" not how it is made.

I am only churning things up because that TV programme QI once stated nobody knows ( I think they meant origins )

My diet excludes cheese which I miss badly, the veggie stuff is not the same.Does that make me a hypocrite.

Roy :?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
izzzi said:

5,500 BC in Kujawy, Poland, at least according to the archaeological interpretation of clay pots and the isotopic analysis of lipid deposits.

Earliest evidence for cheese making in the sixth millennium bc in northern Europe
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/va ... 11698.html

Models suggest that the lactase persistence gene is later than the early neolithic. This means that the early farmers would have been lactose intolerant, lactose being the cabohydrate in milk. Making cheese involves separating the curds, which contain calcium, fat and protein, from the whey, which contains the lactose. It is a very early form of food processing and is probably as old as grinding wheat and making flour. An alternative hypothesis is that it was invented by nomadic pastoralists who found it easy to preserve and transport. It is highly unlikely to be a hunter gatherer thing so early neolithic is the earliest.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
izzzi wrote:
Yorksman, :thumbup:
What a great answer with so much information.( I sure York was once Scottish and that is why your so intelligent )

Can anyone advise if "come from" and "made from" have different meanings regarding cheese.
( old Scottish Yorkshire dialect) Kin a'body advise if "come from" 'n' "made from" ur twa different meanings regarding crowdie.

Roy, :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
izzzi said:
izzzi wrote:
What a great answer with so much information.( I sure York was once Scottish and that is why your so intelligent )

I read this stuff as a hobby. How sad is that!

I'm interested in the population history of europe and nearly the periods, palaeolithic, mesolithic, neolithic right the way upto the norman invasion of 1066 involve a change in culture. The question always is if the transition or change involves new people replacing the previous population or if it is the old population adopting new ideas.

The neolithic, or new stone age is characterised by a change in the stone tools used but also, it marks the beginning of farming. It's an interesting period made even more so because after about 1000 years, most of the early farming populations perished and population levels were very low for another 1000 years, in northern europe at least.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Something's lurking in the back of my brain, I saw some information about cheese on a TV programme, possibly in WW11? because of the men going off to war, transport problems, help was scarce, something along those lines, without Googling ,and that was in the West Country I believe. I'm sure it was on the BBC 2, and I still love cheese :D but I'm sorry, I can't remember the actual programme details.

Just remembered Buffalo milk.

Best wishes RRB :)