Just been diagnosed with Type 2

Runci

Although I won't get my blood work back till Friday so I have no real idea what my level is at, However my GP did say the sugar in my urine was very high and my blood sugar was over 20. He has put me on Metformin, 2 a day morning and night. I have been dizzy for the last three days and has a particularly strong attack this evening, a mars bar seems to have eased it off. My urination has been extremely frequent for a few weeks, every hour or so at its worst, plus I have never been more thirsty at any time in my life.

I don't suppose any of this is new info to any of you but for me more than anything it has answered a lot of questions I have had about various aspects of my health for months. I am obese and 51 so I don't suppose its a surprise I have developed this. I am mostly afraid it might affect my main hobby which is playing and singing in a rock band. I gig regularly a couple of times a week and the thought of having a hypo on stage is a bit frightening as of course is the thought of having one whilst driving.

I have so much information i need and so many questions I need to answer. Do I have to inform the DVLA? Do I have to give up smoking? Do I need to monitor my blood sugar levels? What effect will the medication have on me? Will this lightheartedness, thirst and constant need to take a pee ever go away? What can I eat and drink, and visa versa? I think this forum will provide me with a lot of information, but its scary, its a jungle out there

By the way Hi and my Name is Ian and I live in Bury Lancashire :)

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
You will receive loads of info shortly but first off why are you eating mars bars if you are T2?

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome :wave:

Best wishes RRB

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Ian and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask any questions you like and someone will come along and help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

elaine77

Hi Runci and welcome,

I'm sure there will be many type2s along soon with advice but I just wanted to say that Metformin is a very good drug and one of the best things about it is that it doesn't cause hypos apart from in exceptional circumstances so as a type 2 on Metformin I don't think you will need to worry too much about going too low. The mars Bar might have seemed like it made you feel better but my guess would be that your body is so used to being so high that when the mars bar pushed u up really high (which it would have done) your body recognised it as being the 'norm'.

Basically a rough guide to diet would be to cut right down on the carbs and sugar and try and replace all carbs you do eat with better ones (take a look at the GI index as low GI carbs are much better for diabetics). Also if you drink quite a bit of alcohol it's best to cut that out too especially if your a cider drinker as its basically fermented sugar in a glass. It would also be helpful to get a meter and some testing strips if your GP hasn't given you any so that you can see which foods your body can and can't handle. Good luck.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. I'm afraid a Mars bar was the worst possible thing you could have eaten without realising it. Whilst your blood sugar is high you will have sugar in the urine, feel thirsty, go to the loo a lot. As you drastically reduce your carb intake and overall portion sizes both your weight and blood sugar will reduce; this will take time. The Metformin will help a bit but diet and exercise are the key things. Being overweight you will be insulin resistant and the metformin will help your body start to regain proper metabolism of your natural insulin. You will not suffer hypos at all unless you become normal weight and are started on certain other tablets or insulin, so don't worry on that score. You can drink sensibly. Yes, as others have said do get hold of a meter.

Runci

Thanks for all the info. I take your point about the mars bar, it wasn't a very good idea and was someone else who recommended it . A bottle of luccozade certainly worked much better.

Bought myself a meter this morning from the chemist and a pack of strips too

On my second day of Metformin today, got up at 7,30 and took one with a small bowl of cornflakes. We haven't had sugar in the house for over 10 years and use artificial sweetener on cereals and in beverages. Felt a bit lightheaded about noon so I checked my blood and it was 12. I have just had a couple of poached eggs for lunch on some wholemeal toast. Not sure if I will need to check it again later or not.

The Misinform has had adverse effects on my stomach and resulted in a nasty case of the trots, although I expected this. The Pharmacist told me I should only take one a day for the first few days but my GP insisted I take 2. Luckily I am not a drinker so that part won't affect me although I do smoke and that is something I am going to have to cut out.

Its all so new to me I don't even know what level my blood should be at really. Although I assume 12 is still too high? Does it take a while for the medication and change of diet to lower the level?

elaine77

Oh dear Lucozade? Forgive me for asking but were u being sarcastic or were u being for real?

As a diabetic lucozade is the absolute worst thing you could ever ever have and is used ONLY In hypoglycaemic situations... If you were being serious then i think you need to meet again with your doctor as you will do some serious damage to yourself unless you build up your knowledge quite quickly...... My friends dad didnt get or follow correct advice from his GP and has lost his leg now.... The consequences of bad management of diabetes are really quite severe and can be fatal.... Please speak to your doctor again.

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Runci

I'm not drinking Lucozade as a soft drink, my daughter got it for me yesterday because I was having a hypo. In fact I was on the brink of passing out. The room was spinning faster than the waltzers.

I am drinking sugar free drinks now such as Pepsi Max

elaine77

How do you know you were having a hypo? Dd you test your blood to confirm the hypo? If you are having hypos you also need to go back to ur GP because Metformin doesn't cause hypos only insulin and drugs such as gliclazide and other insulin stimulating drugs cause hypos along with possibly excessive alcohol or starvation....

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
How can you be having a hypo on day 2 with metformin and a bs level of 12?

You are not making a lot of sense - as you have access to the Internet please will you search for 'diabetic complications' and do some research then come back here and tell us what you learned.

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin

C

catherinecherub

Runci said:
I'm not drinking Lucozade as a soft drink, my daughter got it for me yesterday because I was having a hypo. In fact I was on the brink of passing out. The room was spinning faster than the waltzers.

Hi Runci,

There is a lot to learn when you are first diagnosed.
If you are wondering about levels, please re-read Daisy's introductory post on this thread.
Your head probably hasn't stopped spinning since you have been diagnosed but it will all come together.
The supposed hypo you were having is really a false one, you have been experiencing high levels prior to diagnosis and now they are starting to come down the result is that you feel dizzy and unwell. A Type2 on Metformin can sit it out until the liver springs into action and puts things right when you are having a real hypo. It is very unpleasant and makes you panic and I think this is what has happened. You had a false hypo and panicked. You are not alone, many newly diagnosed have reported this.
Keep asking questions and remember that we all had to start at the beginning.

Take care,

CC.

LittleWolf

Reactive hypos are a possibility right?

Or it is the alcohol. I'm not on medication but CIDER as Elaine mentioned made me test 'Lo' then bounce up to 19 the next day. Maybe the OP is regularly having rebound highs and lows like a see saw due to an unsuitable diet.

Oh just saw the above post. More likely a false hypo. The only way you can know is if you test test test. If you feel odd, test so you know /for sure/ what is making you feel odd

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
When I was first told I was a diabetic my initial reaction was to think I did not know what I could eat and what I could not and therefore I ate next to nothing for a while.

But it was a long time before I ever experienced any hypo like symptoms and it never occurred to me to reach for a mars bar or bottle of lucozade in panic!

You really need to research a little more about the effect that sugar and sugary foods have on a diabetic and the complications it can lead to.

I apologise for the unhelpful manner of my earlier post but I could not quite believe what I was reading.

Tracyplum

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I found out I was T2 I spent about 4/5 days reading all I could on here and the main site. Then panicked! After a bit of a denial weekend I took control and went down the low carb route. The first few days I did feel a bit lightheaded but I believe it to of been a bit of a withdrawal from the sudden great drop of carbs. Once I started to increase the full fat Greek yog etc I felt much better :) I still have a lot to learn!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Runci

catherinecherub said:
Runci said:

Hi Runci,

There is a lot to learn when you are first diagnosed.
If you are wondering about levels, please re-read Daisy's introductory post on this thread.
Your head probably hasn't stopped spinning since you have been diagnosed but it will all come together.
The supposed hypo you were having is really a false one, you have been experiencing high levels prior to diagnosis and now they are starting to come down the result is that you feel dizzy and unwell. A Type2 on Metformin can sit it out until the liver springs into action and puts things right when you are having a real hypo. It is very unpleasant and makes you panic and I think this is what has happened. You had a false hypo and panicked. You are not alone, many newly diagnosed have reported this.
Keep asking questions and remember that we all had to start at the beginning.

Take care,

CC.

you're more than likely correct. To be honest I don't really know what a hypo is like so its hard to judge, in fact I know virtually nothing about Diabetes yet. What I can say without doubt is that it was not a panic attack. I suffered with panic attacks and anxiety for years and this was definitely not a case of the flight or fight mechanism kicking in. I felt no fear or anxiety, no sweating It was merely a very bad spell of dizzyness that eventually after a couple of hours eased off and subsided into a mild headache. I am back at my GP's tomorrow to review the result of my tests, so I might find out there is something else besides the Diabetes. I had a lot of the symptoms for a while, constant urination thirst and tiredness but the lightheadedness and dizzy spells started on Sunday coupled with extreme drowsyness. When I saw the doctor on Monday my blood was at 22 and he said the sugar level in my urine was very high also. My blood pressure was fairly normal. I started the metformin on teusday morning so it may well have been my body reacting to the BG level dropping quickly. I have tested myself a few times since then and it seems to be staying between 11.5 and 12. I am still lightheaded 90% of the time and have dizzy spells 4 or 5 times a day. I also feel sick and have stomach cramps, I am assuming this is the Metformin? I have changed my diet but knowing when and what to eat seems to be a long learning process

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Another thing I would cut out the sweet drinks even though you think they are sugar free my system cannot deal with the sweetener and it raises my bs levels much the same as raw sugar. Water, tea or coffee are fine.

Changing your diet will be easier if you train your taste buds away from sweet things - eventually most things will taste sweet.

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Runci

Just a quick update. Been on the Metformin since Tuesday and upped the dosage yesterday to 1500mg a day. My BG levelk is down to 7.1 at the moment which is a great drop from 22. I am still suffering light headedness, nausea, the runs, stomach cramps, blurred vision, is this normal after 8 days?

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Not unusual but you must take the metformin with food and it should settle down - do not take it before food take it with food and keep doing what you are doing because it is obviously working.

Well done

Diagnosed type II 1998 2 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Runci,
It sound like your body has been running with high blood sugar for a while. When you have a constant high blood sugar you adjust to it and it becomes the norm. When you first start treatment your blood sugar can drop a lot (in my case about 15 point overnight). This can produce the shakes and lighheadness you describe, these are symptoms of low blood sugar. In your case your sugar is still high at 12, so it sound like you are experienceing what is known as a pseudohypo. Basically your body is fooled into thinking it suffering from low blood sugar i.e.a hypo; but it is not. You are only hypo, (low blood sugar) when your blood glucose in less than 4. As your blood sugar starts to come down with treament, you need to retrain your body to be happy in the 4 to 7 blood sugar range. I went through this problem and the advice my doc gave me was, eat your meals but do not snack unless you drop to a blood sugar of 4 or less. You have a monitor, great, test whenever you feel shaky. DON'T snack unless it really is low (i.e. 4 or less). It doesn't take long to retrain your body. Ignore people who tell you to eat Mars bars, this is for people on insulin who have taken too much or not eaten enough and are hypo. You are hyper, high blood sugar.
It is all very overwhelming at first, diabetes Uk has loads of info you help you understand your condition. It all comes together in the end.
Flakey Bake