Climbing Schiehallion!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

I love walking/generally being outdoors. Since diagnosis Ive stuck to shorter trips as I didn't want to be too far from anything!

On Friday I'm climbing schiehallion (a Munroe in Scotland) in memory of a colleague and friend of mine who does in Algeria earlier this year. It's important for me to take part in this so I really want to go!

I'm just looking for advice on what to do while walking. Breakfast is a good 4 hours before the walk so I will do my usual insulin for that. Lunch is at the top, I've calculated I would usually have 2 units based on my ratio for that. Should I skip the insulin? Or just half it? I guess that would depend on BG?

While I'm walking I usually take jelly babies or ***** bears and eat one every half hour or so. Will that be enough do you think to keep me going? More often/less often?

I'm in the honeymoon period so should means things are erratic, but I've been very steady recently so I'm hoping for no curveballs on Friday

Any suggestions welcome :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would imagine you would be safe to skip your lunch bolus, especially as your using very little, depending your not too high before hand. I do skip boluses even now if extremely active and still need a snack to avoid hypos. Keep testing every hour to determine how many jelly bs u need, good luck with it :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

I'm also a little wary of the evening after. I've read that it can affect you for quite a while after you've stopped exercising. Is it worth doing a couple tests overnight to be sure I'm not going to have a surprise hypo?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would be a good idea for future reference and to make sure u stay safe :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I do lots of walking and hiking but to be honest i still dont know whats the best strategy. What i do is to reduce my basal the night before and have lots of sweets on me. I dont think you would need any insulin with your lunch. i prefer to go a bit higher than lower on the top of the mountain! Its a bit stressful when you have got a hypo in the middle of nowhere

michael D

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Its harder than a walk
As you have not done anything hard lately your walking fitness will be down
So you'll feel the energy drain quicker and be slower to recover the energy
A few protein bars/cereal bars would not be amiss, eat 1 just before you start the walk
the gums will help with fast energy boost the bars longer boost
Sugary drink in the bag in case of need
But let folk leading the walk know that you're a diabetic for your safety and theirs
and carry a I.C.E card

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tips. I'm walking amongst friends so they're all aware what to do if it all goes belly up but of course I'm planning on avoiding that!

With reducing the basal, how much do you come down by? I only take 3 units a night, so if I take only 2 units tonight then that's me reduced by a third. I then worry about going high during the night tonight.

THIS is why I would want a pump!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone have any further thoughts on this? T-4.5 hours until basal time so I'm trying to get things straight in my head!

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry Hale i diidnt reply earlier. I reduce basal by few units (take 15 so by 3/4). Let us know how it went please.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I did reduce by 1 unit and it seemed to do the trick. I'm still running slightly lower than usual today which I sort of expected. Haven't slipped below 4.1 yet though so pretty pleased with how the whole thing has gone. Gives me the confidence to get out and do more again!

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear it went well. Did my first long run since diagnosis today, cut back both basal and breakfast bolus this morning so will be interesting to see how the experiment goes for the rest of the day.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr Happy said:
The joys of exercise, just done 50m on the bike so now I get to eat a lovely Pecan Danish guilt free!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

50m?!? I hope you meant 50km or 50 miles as I'm not sure 50m warrants a Danish!

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Maybe it's 50 minutes. If it was uphill then that probably warrants a danish :lol:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Giverny said:
Maybe it's 50 minutes. If it was uphill then that probably warrants a danish :lol:

Yes 50 minutes works too! I'd take a Danish for that!