Is marijuana good for diabetes?

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
Self-deception is part of human nature - at least in the adult form.

It really doesn't matter whether we're talking about marijuana, alcohol, the management of diabetes, or the Terrestrial sunrise.

Only the other day, here on this very website, I got someone to say that he thinks the sun does not rise in the sky above him each day in the morning!

If people will say that, then they'll say anything.

Evidence is not the issue.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
michaeldavid said:
Self-deception is part of human nature - at least in the adult form.

It really doesn't matter whether we're talking about marijuana, alcohol, the management of diabetes, or the Terrestrial sunrise.

Only the other day, here on this very website, I got someone to say that he thinks the sun does not rise in the sky above him each day in the morning!

If people will say that, then they'll say anything.

Evidence is not the issue.
:clap:

LittleWolf

Totally believe you on that.

'Self-deception' Or the human desire to appease themselves and indulge in whatever they want because humans do not like to account for themselves. We are inherently arrogant, EXPERTS at doing things that hurt them and flouting rules,

Part of the reason I think faith/religion is important. People like to refute every commandment and insist they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

I don't think this is right and acknowledge there are certain 'rules for a reason and doing certain things is just plain bad for you.

Which is why I not any of us have deceived ourselves into thinking that everything is alright and there is no danger in 'taking drugs'

Take into account this isn't crack, speed or heroin we are talking about (although the last two are considered OK and prescribed because they are in a neat little pill) We are talking about cannabis not just because 'we want to get high all the time and not listen to warnings about there ever being adverse effects to using marijuana'

The bottom line is put cannabis' components next to practically any other drug and you cannot refute there being a freaking boatload of scientifically proven health benefits and potential for cure of major diseases without a fraction of the side effect (no one is saying there aren't ANY at all however.

It would be a totally different argument if we were talking about other illicit drugs. Cannabis should not be illegal anyway.. We are not just telling ourselves it helps because we want justification in being stoned 24/7 there are plenty of things we could get over the counter that may not fix us but most definitely get us high and potentially kill us.

Reminder of the fact you don't have to be intoxicated to use cannabis medicinally. I feel sorry for people sicker than me whose prescription drugs are not helping and they consider to suffer when cannabis could be the answer. I know people whose cancers have been cured by ingesting cannabis and applying it topically.

I came out of depression, beat anorexia, pulled up my grades to get to university, stopped self harming, took up 5 instruments and 3 sports, no longer have panic attack or hallucinations since using cannabis- it is possible to be a functional member of society and we come from all walks of life. We are not all anarchists who like to tell themselves that being counter culture is cool.

Even if I did use any other drug and really enjoyed it, I couldn't honestly justify its decriminalisation. There is a reason there is so much rallying behind getting it legalized. Like I said, It's not crack (which I have lost family members to sadly)

I can't believe I could get sent to prison for a herb that helps me and sent to the emergency room by drugs that are prescribed to me (and routinely abused by millions yet considered to have less potential for harm to the public)

This whole thing is making me upset. My friend has MS and she's run out of options... But I can't grow some backyard pot to alleviate her symptoms?

Go see the statistics comparing hospital admissions for cannabis use compared to popular FDA approved drugs. It does too much good to be kept under lock and key. Not our fault some people can't control their use.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

foreverdelayed

Well said littlewolf, very well put. And I agree totally with the cannabis v prescribed medication argument. Most of the reasons against cannabis are just psychological stereotypes based on nothing. Schizophrenia is as prevalent in general society as it is among cannabis users, to name but one misconception. Big pharma are profit based so cannot be entirely trusted to be working in our best interests. I advocate its use through experience and found evidence in support of this. That is my basis for my view. I'm not saying everyone should get stoned! I just want cannabis to be explored for medical purposes without the weight of ludicrous stereotyping hanging over it!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
foreverdelayed said:
Well said littlewolf, very well put. And I agree totally with the cannabis v prescribed medication argument. Most of the reasons against cannabis are just psychological stereotypes based on nothing. Schizophrenia is as prevalent in general society as it is among cannabis users, to name but one misconception. Big pharma are profit based so cannot be entirely trusted to be working in our best interests. I advocate its use through experience and found evidence in support of this. That is my basis for my view. I'm not saying everyone should get stoned! I just want cannabis to be explored for medical purposes without the weight of ludicrous stereotyping hanging over it!

I'm certainly not defending the 'big pharmas' because I actually refer to them as 'legal drug pushers', but isn't the illegal drug industry also profit based? Or do they all do their drug runs out of the goodness of their heart to help humanity? :think:

I would like cannabis to be researched for it's beneficial properties, even though I've never smoked it, I do listen to those who have and do smoke it and I don't disbelieve them when they say it helps with certain health conditions. And for that reason I'd like to see it properly researched, properly grown and properly regulated and distributed, rather than have vulnerable people getting involved with criminal elements who they have no clue what else they're involved in.

Mr Happy

foreverdelayed said:
Well said littlewolf, very well put. And I agree totally with the cannabis v prescribed medication argument. Most of the reasons against cannabis are just psychological stereotypes based on nothing.

But stereotypes are rarely based on nothing, which is why they are stereotypes. I am not suggesting everyone who takes weed is a greasy haired criminal, just the majority!

Mr Happy

Littlewolf, unless I mis-understand your view on religion is somewhat misplaced. Suggesting people are arrogant and like to refute or challenge things I can happily see the good and bad of. However, using preachings to blindly follow an often destructive path must be considered can be rather dangerous, no?

foreverdelayed

Or do they all do their drug runs out of the goodness of their heart to help humanity? :think:

Not saying that at all, I was referring to the fact that anyone could grow the medicine, not that drug dealers are white Knights! There's not the profit for big pharma like other drugs!

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I used to smoke many moons ago. I used to live with a grower who lovingly popped his seeds and used organic compost and fed then bat poo and seagull poo and homemade Comfrey juice (which STANK....) Anyway he grew fine Sativas and grew a 50/50 sat/indica for me as I couldn't sleep on his Sativas...
He never sold it,he gave sprigs away to friends. He grew different strains in a cupboard in his bedroom and cured it all in kilner jars.

Best grass I ever smoked. I have a box in my fridge full of cannabis seeds as my BF was also a breeder. He would grow males in a separate room....Wait till their balls grew,tap out the 'sperm' from the flowers,dunk the females 'bits' in the 'sperm, put a bit of tape on the female where the dunking had taken place and seeds would grow in the specific area....

Being a gardener I found it all hugely interesting. Of course it was all highly illegal but he had his own house and detection was unlikely as he had a fantastic ducting fan thingy which got rid of the fumes.

I live now in a council flat and although I am extremely tempted to grow as I know how to do it I constantly have repairs and workmen in and out. I couldn't grow as if I got rumbled I would likely be slung out and I can't risk that.

If ever I smoked grass again ( Out of the question now as I have Emphasyma ) I would want to know what strain it was. It would be very unlikely to be dried properly as street puff is usually grown for profit and damp grass weighs more than cured grass.
It would be most likely to be an Indica as they are much quicker to harvest than Sativas.

One must be careful when buying street puff. You really have no idea really what it is. Unless you have a friend who is a grower.
When I smoked I was addicted. I have an addictive nature. I haven't smoked a joint now for about 7 years and even though I am tempted to buy an Iolite Vapouriser ( About £40 from E Bay 2nd hand ) I can't afford to buy puff anymore and I know no one who grows.
I did have a friend once who grew one strain. Northern Lights. He dried it but it wasn't properly cured which was something I suppose. He grew to pay his rent and of course to smoke himself.

My son,(32) smokes grass every evening after work. I did buy him an Iolite for Christmas but he hasn't used it yet. He says he is addicted to nicotine. So I bought him 2 Electronic cigarettes for his birthday and made him up a load of bottles of juice ( I mix my own to save on costs) He hasn't used those either. I have used E Cigs since January 2011 and my spirometry results have improved by 7%. My Emphasyma will never get better... But I have stopped it getting any worse as I just didn't want to give up smoking. E Cigs fill that void very well as I haven't had 1 rollie in the last 30 months.

Last week I was stung with the news that I have Type 2 diabetes. And the beginnings of liver damage as I have always liked a drink.
So it looks like I am going to have to try to cut that out as well.

I have given everything up. Well,almost as I still have my E Cigs.

Hope this post isn't too much off topic. Just fancied sharing.

The end.

thebassist84

Man there's some hostility here! How can people get angry about how people live their lives! Unless its smack and their raiding your shed every night, what right does anyone have to question it?
Its people who think they are holier than thou that really annoy me. Until you walk in someone else's shoes, you can't really comment! Love how some people are backing up their views with evidence, some people ;-)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Just imagine if only those who had murdered judged other murderers? The streets would be full of psychopaths wandering free as birds to do as they choose. :roll:

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Another great initial post ruined by a few who revel in negative comments and pointless remarks :-(

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
alex_dgarcia said:
I read so many articles saying that marijuana can actually improve the health of diabetics. Is this for real?
Hi All .

Here is the OP on this thread , to remind us all .

Please can we return to a more positive and pleasant debate/discussion .

Anna .