Fetchmeacoffee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
busybodies
Hi guys , hope you are all well.

I'm a type 1 diabetic , and have used insulin pens for all this time , odd question to ask but do you think my gp would let me have a handful of syringes ?

The reason I ask is , last week I visited a friend in Manchester , and I believe my insulin pen was pick pocketed whilst travelling. It took me a good 5/6 hours until I could get hold of a new pen and obviously it send my sugars rocketing. I'd love to have a syringe or two just to keep to one side at home , and on me whilst travelling if anything like this happens again , because believe me , I was bricking it when I lost my pen :(

Hope you can help , thanks in advance

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
I never use the wretched pens.

I find them uncomfortable to use; they're clunky, heavy, and unnecessarily complex. (Never mind about those bloody purses they come in.) Needless contraptions annoy me intensely.

Nothing could be simpler than a disposable syringe. And I would never use anything else.

I certainly don't dispose of them after only one use. Unless the needle has touched anything other than my skin at the injection point, I tend to use it for around one week. I've been doing that for thirty years.

For accuracy, the smaller the syringe, the better. I use 0.3 ml 'BD Micro-Fine + Demi'. (The syringe has semi-unit gradations.) You can probably get these from any pharmacy. I believe you won't even need a prescription.

You will need some good sense, and manual dexterity, for insulin that only comes in pen-fill cartridges - like Novorapid, for example.

With the initial use of such a cartridge, you will first need to inject air in order to bring the moveable plug - at the bottom end - flush with the glass end of the cartridge.

Next, inject air equal to the amount of insulin you want to withdraw.

Then, holding the cartridge upside down in your less-dexterous hand (with the syringe hanging from it), gently flick the cartridge (with your more-dexterous forefinger) to dislodge any air bubbles.

Now gently press down on the rubber bung (using the forefinger of the hand your holding it in), and simultaneously withdraw the insulin. Gently flick the hanging syringe to dislodge any air bubbles.

To make quite sure there are no remaining air bubbles, it's a good idea to inject the insulin back into the cartridge. And then start again, as above.

Simple.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'm sure you could ask for some syringes or you could also request a spare pen ? Whatever is your preference.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have multiple pens, when I go out of town I always take a spare just in case! Never mind being stolen, it could get dropped or a multitude of other things

imalittlefishy

I have a handful of contigency syringes that live in my handbag...covers two eventualities in my book - pen gets lost/broken, or I'm an idiot and forget a spare cartridge...those last 10 or so units in the cartridge once it's "finished" can be very handy until I make it home! I did get them something of the cheats way though - my mum is a practice nurse and acquired me a packet...xx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
imalittlefishy said:
I have a handful of contigency syringes that live in my handbag...covers two eventualities in my book - pen gets lost/broken, or I'm an idiot and forget a spare cartridge...those last 10 or so units in the cartridge once it's "finished" can be very handy until I make it home! I did get them something of the cheats way though - my mum is a practice nurse and acquired me a packet...xx

I acquire post it notes for my dad sometimes haha

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Fetchmeacoffee said:
Hi guys , hope you are all well.

I'm a type 1 diabetic , and have used insulin pens for all this time , odd question to ask but do you think my gp would let me have a handful of syringes ?

The reason I ask is , last week I visited a friend in Manchester , and I believe my insulin pen was pick pocketed whilst travelling. It took me a good 5/6 hours until I could get hold of a new pen and obviously it send my sugars rocketing. I'd love to have a syringe or two just to keep to one side at home , and on me whilst travelling if anything like this happens again , because believe me , I was bricking it when I lost my pen :(

Hope you can help , thanks in advance

Don't forget the syringes don't come pre-filled so you would still need to carry insulin vials also, better just to carry a spare pen or two, if your travelling with a companion why not ask them to carry one for you.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always have a spare pen. I change pens every 2 years or so and order form the supplier and always request 2 of each pen. They are very understanding of the need to have a back up and send them free of charge.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thundercat said:
I always have a spare pen. I change pens every 2 years or so and order form the supplier and always request 2 of each pen. They are very understanding of the need to have a back up and send them free of charge.

Thundercat I'm new to this - would you mind explaining why you need to change the pen every 2 years or so? Thanks :)

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know how necessary it is but way back in the begining my doctor advised doing it and I've kept it up since then. You can check the accuracy of a pen by injecting 20 units into the outer cap and it should come to the first line.