Who saw the channel4 programme on GLP-1 drugs?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I watched this programme just now and it has me seething. There's evidence that this category of drugs, which includes Vicoza, Byetta and Januvia, may be causing pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer.
The evidence of links is pretty strong, but there were people on the programme, trying to make as little as possible of this evidence. The drug companies themselves are obviously trying to hide evidence.
Yet still they try to disuade us from going low carb. they warn us it's dangerous, but there's NO evidence for that!
Hana

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
Re: Who saw the channel4 programme on GGLP-1 drugs?

I was confused enough to begin with but I am even more so now.....

I gather this programme was to do with Type 1 rather than Type 2?

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

im watching now on +1 :)

Yvonne8

Hi. Yes I did catch most of this programme and really this isn't anything that I didn't know or suspect already. The really sobering thing is that now I've seen it clarified on national tv it really scares the beejeezus out of me! Most of the time we can go about our daily lives in the knowledge that doctors etc have our best interests at heart but now and then we get a slap in the face metaphorically and now I'm not sure where I stand. Being on januvia I'm concerned and I bet I'm not the only one!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes

zola
It's T2.
T1 has only insulin as an option.
Hana

Hez14

If you were intrigued by the program there is a good book blood sugar 101 by jenny rhule that has lots if information on diabetes type 2 and really is very informative and totally undermines the information given by GP's I have no faith in my gp or DNS.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

zolabud said:
I was confused enough to begin with but I am even more so now.....

I gather this programme was to do with Type 1 rather than Type 2?

Not definitely not Type 1, but the programme just seemed to say Diabetes, very confusing, especially for non diabetics watching:?

RRb :)

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.

Hez14 said:
If you were intrigued by the program there is a good book blood sugar 101 by jenny rhule that has lots if information on diabetes type 2 and really is very informative and totally undermines the information given by GP's I have no faith in my gp or DNS.

Oh RATS.... Thought I was getting it sussed....

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I was started on Bydureon. which is a GLP-1 drug, and when I read in the leaflet that care should be taken if I had history of pancreatitus I raised the issue with my diabetes nurse. She checked with the practice pharmacist and the decision was made to stop the Bydureon immediately and I was put on insulin.
This implies to me that there is a risk connected to these types of drug.
Let's hope that the drug companies involved are made to give access to ALL of their data for independent analysis.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Since when has Januvia (Sitagliptin) been a GLP-1 drug? It's a DPP-4 inhibitor drug with a completely different mechanism.

Why are GPs so keen to avoid prescribing insulin? My GP refused me 2 years ago but finally suggested it this year and it works. If you overweight and tablets no longer work why not diet, get the weight down and go for insulin which doesn't have any real side effects that the other injectables have. It seems that insulin is regarded as the final admission of defeat when it can be absolutely the right solution

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Mark65. If you Google the web with Januvia or Sitagliptin you will find a stack of websites with loads of info including info from the drug manufacturer; also Wikipedia.

B

badcat

I was prescribed januvia nearly a year ago after 16 years T2 ang being told I was on the inevitable road toward insulin with Januvia being what I needed to stave this off a bit longer. Before I was willing to accept that, I read a whole load of stuff and came across quite a bit on the Internet about pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer being hypothesised as risk factors ( partic for victoza but also for januvia to a lesser extent) based on early US outcomes
I decided to go low carb instead and on that have got my hba1c down from 67 to 40 while reducing my Gliclizide dose by half - god bless the Internet!

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have been on victoza for nearly 2 months and had to do a lot of research for myself due to some unpleasant side affects... I found that the doctors and nurses have very little knowledge of this drug and my faith in them has gone even more after watching this program.. I find it quite worrying on whether to carry on taking it as feel I as if the trial is on me, is this how other people are feeling :s

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!

I was put on Byetta almost 3 weeks ago in that time I've lost 1st 1lb. I previously was on insulin which caused a lot go weight gain. I'm not really worried about what this programme was about it. It didn't prove that every single person using these medications got pancreatitis or pancreatic cancer.

mandydowns

HI

I was prescribed Victoza when it was first used in Cambridgeshire and my initial results were brilliant - big weight loss and diabetes 'in reverse', according to my consultant. I was always a little worried about possible long term side effects, but felt that the improvement in my health was worth the 'miniscule' risk, as the drug company reported. When I asked my health care providers about the potential risk of pancreatitis/cancer, etc. there was absolutely no information given, both at GP and consultant level.

I chose to stop this medication after talking it through with my GP, as I felt that there was insufficient data available, or at least none that was being made available to me via the medical profession, and although the weight has returned and my sugar levels are not brilliant I have more peace of mind.

I guess that sometimes you have to follow your gut feeling, and the fact that my GP did not try to talk me into continuing Victoza said something. I would not encourage anyone to stop any medication without talking it through with their doctor first, but in my case this latest information makes me feel that personally I made the right choice. Bottom line is that there are risks with all medication, and you have to decide what risks you are prepared to take, balanced against the benefits that the medication can give you.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Just don't know what to believe any more. I take Januvia but the packaging is quite up front about the risks of pancreatitis/pancreatic cancer and has been for at least 12 months - the time I have been taking it.

Discussion with GP called for. I keep steering clear of insulin but I do wonder if the 6 months of gastric issues I have had relate to the sitagliptin and if just biting the bullet would sort things out.

Ali

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes

As the wife of a lifetime T1, I find that insulin has its own drawbacks. Certainly its use is now much more refined than a generation ago, so for new users, the risks may be less, but all the T2s I know who have been put on insulin recently, have gained weight and now are afraid of h6ypos and worried for their driving licenses.
I chose , what isn't an easy path for myself.
I still use minimal Metformin, which seems to be safe!, aafter 10 years. Iwent low carbabout 8 years ago. It's not always easy to turn down offers or treats, but I usually do, or take a mini bite!
By being strict with myself, I've kept my BG in range and HbA1cs in the 5%s. I also do quite a bit of exercise.
Since my T1 husband's kidney failure has deteriorated, I've also gone low protein, to support him and generally low food. It's not hurting me and I'm losing weight again, which Ineed to do. Ihave about anouther 15 Kg to lose. Over the last few years, i've lost about 22 Kg already. that's added up to 5 dress sizes![ 6 inches off each body measurement]
Hana