Who saw the channel4 programme on GLP-1 drugs?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hanadr. I was put on insulin 3 months ago (10 units Levemir once a day) and have put on only 1Kg from 58 to 59 Kg in 3 months, so weight gain is not a given with insulin. I have no insulin resistance and a sensible low-carb diet which all helps.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Daibel
You are one of the lucky ones in not being insulin resistant, but not a true T2 either. Insulin resistance is a characteristic of T2. this often leads to needing insulin dose much higher than those used by T1s. I've even met T2s using U500 insulin. that's 5 x the dose per ml. It's only necessary in extreme insulin resistance.
I must be a bit resistant. I'm a straightforward T2 and I minimise my medication needs by diet.
Hana

edshazell

Been on Victoza for two years now maybe its time for a change, INVOKANA seems like it may be OK anyone used it yet?

mangobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Infuriating that yet again public broadcasts include not one word differentiating T1 from T2. We're all just 'Diabetics', one single amorphous mass of obese people. Statistics quoted by doctors are absolutely meaningless if they don't specify their sample group.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I havent watched the program yet, meant to watch it this morning but had other stuff to do, what a hectic life I lead now I dont work any more :D

But from reading this thread it occured to me that the very first thing mentioned in the information that comes with Byetta says that a possible side effect of Byetta is Pancreatitis so its not exactly hidden information is it? As I said Ive not seen the program yet so I could be making wrong assumptions here.

Byetta Information said:
Important Safety Information for BYETTA® (exenatide) injection

Serious side effects can happen in people who take BYETTA, including inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis) which may be severe and lead to death. Before taking BYETTA, tell your healthcare provider if you have had pancreatitis, stones in your gallbladder (gallstones), a history of alcoholism, or high blood triglyceride levels. Call your healthcare provider right away if you have pain in your stomach area (abdomen) that is severe, and will not go away. The pain may happen with or without vomiting and may be felt going from your abdomen through to your back.

@Hana Im sure you are aware that I lost over 4 stones while on insulin Hana so weight gain is not inevitable if you watch your diet. I actually managed to come off insulin by loosing weight and reducing my insulin resistance.

As for hypos, I guess they are inevitable if you are on insulin but again providing you keep good hypo awareness and are able to quickly treat any hypo they do not have to be dangerous or a risk to your driving licence, as long as you test regularly.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
mangobe said:
Infuriating that yet again public broadcasts include not one word differentiating T1 from T2. We're all just 'Diabetics', one single amorphous mass of obese people. Statistics quoted by doctors are absolutely meaningless if they don't specify their sample group.

Hi I do agree with you there. My friend text me and asked if I take that medication, even though she knows I'm Type 1 and take other forms of medication. Because 'Diabetics' was talked about, she thought the same as probably hundreds of other people, maddening isn't it?

Best wishes RRB

Reactions: 2 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry not understanding the outrage about types of diabetes in relation to this documentary. It was not a documentary about diabetes, it was a documentary about a group of drugs that happen to treat diabetes, and their side effects. These drugs are also taken alongside insulin by some Type 1s I believe to aid weight loss.

But either way, a 25 min documentary about a group of drugs does not have time to describe all the different types of diabetes and neither was it relevant to the topic in hand.

Ali

Been on Victoza since last August, was on sitagliptin prior to that. Watched, recorded and watched again. Concerned what are alternatives to victoza

mattuk

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Olives
I was featured in the programme. Channel 4 contacted me after diabetes uk asked the question 'Has anyone had any side effects from diabetes medication' on their Facebook page. I have type two diabetes. Victosa gave me pancreatitis. Consequently I am now insulin dependent.

imalittlefishy

I watched the programme, I was actually under the consultant from Southampton a few years back. As a type 1 I've never been on any of these drugs, but it made some very interesting watching.

Ali H and others who have mentioned it, although no one would expect them to go into great depth on the different types of diabetes, I do feel it would have been beneficial to have mentioned that these treatments are mainly used for type 2 diabetes. Also, although some t1s may take them for weight-loss side effects, they would have no effect on blood sugars as the GLP-1 drugs are pancreas-stimulating and we don't have any functioning beta cells to stimulate! Certain other drugs used for type 2 which tackle insulin resistance are more commonly used alongside insulin in type 1s.

I'm a student nurse, and was watching it with a fellow student nurse friend, who is hoping to go into diabetes nursing when she graduates, and we had a discussion about why insulin is often seen as a last resort for type 2s. Although I appreciate the problems with high dosages and weight gain, I do think insulin should be seen as a viable option for type 2 diabetics, as for some people it can vastly improve their control, and is far more rigourously tested than some other drugs on the market. I found the evidence of abnormal pancreatic changes in ALL the deceased patients taking GLP-1 drugs rather disturbing - obviously it was only a small sample but more research needs to be carried out and made publicly available so people are aware of the risks.

ravi singh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm type 2 diabetic. I read the forums with great interest but have never posted before. I started GLP 1 meds back in October 2012. I was referred to a hospital consultant because I was on basal-bolus insulin regime and my body had developed insulin resistance which meant I was injecting more and more and my HBA1C was rarely below 10.

I was put on Byetta. The side effects were immediate and severe. Severe diarrhoea, nausea, extreme wind build up, bloating, stomach cramps, etc etc. Having suffered a few weeks with those, I was taken off and put on to Victoza to see if my system would tolerate it. No such luck. My quality of life was zero and was centred around the toilet. Coupled with the most embarrassing "eggy burps". Then, I was switched to Bydureon which is a long acting version of Byetta to see if I would tolerate this one. No such luck. This one also leaves very painful injection site lumps which last for weeks and weeks.

Having lived like this for 9 months, I am calling it a day with these GLP-1 drugs. Watching the Channel 4 documentary has completely reinforced my decision. I am surprised though, that no one on the programme mentioned the horrible side effects. Not much mention of side effects on this forum either. In the USA, where these drugs have been available for much longer, the forums are very informative.

Now, I will most likely go back on insulin and the constant cycle of weight gain versus good glucose control will start. :( don't really have much choice left. I really thought these GLP-1 drugs were the answer for me.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ravi. Are you on a serious low-carb diet? The causes of insulin resistance and insulin weight gain include too much food intake for the body to handle well. If you can seriously reduce your carb intake you might re-balance your body's metabolism?

edshazell

No one has mentioned that in UK the maximum Victoza dose is 1.2mg per day but in America its 1.8mg (50% more) what dose had the post-mortem pancreas samples been on?

I watched the C4 programme and was horrified. I am type 2 have been on Byetta but came off it due to pains in my right side, then put on Januvia. I also take insulin and Metformin. I think after watching the programme I won't be taking any more Januvia (which isn't licensed to take with insulin). It's a same as it does reduce my sugars, but the risks aren't worth it.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi tm2445. I think you will find Januvia is licensed for use with insulin for T2s but not T1s. I've just got my DN to remove my Januvia now I'm on insulin. It stopped doing anything a year ago and with the background possible side effects it seemed pointless to continue

chrissyp

Dislikes
offensive people !!
oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh..............................after lengthy observations my Consultant put out me on Victoza and Levermir.Early on in the thread someone said that Victoza is for Type 2`s only - sorry - not true !!

My wonderful Consultant in whom I have total faith has many of us Type 1 `s on Victoza because it`s Type 1`s who have the pancreas failure and wickedly unfair metabolic problems caused by it .We put on too much weight !

Someone mentioned "eggy burps " to which I can totally relate.The way to stop the eggy burps is to EAT LESS !!! They are caused by excess food retained in your body literally rotting before being passed out.

I accept that the long term effects of Victoza MAY be dangerous - but so is driving a car - both a calculated risk. :think:

I am blessed with the amazing Steve Wong as my Consultant who takes as much time as needed to explain things to you - why not write a list of questions for your Consultant if you are concerned -- not all are as patient aware as Steve.

Barrie Smith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NHS and Prof Tony Weetman .
The Criminal activety continues , since the late 70s NHS no longer observes Clinical Trials , they accept as gospel what Pharma
tells them which throws open the field to commercial interest .
It is only when patients are damaged or die that it comes into focus , I think it started with the introduction of Synthroid in UK
Levothyroxine in place of Natural Porcine Thyroid .(now there is a criminal activity ,no sience or traceable trials for most patients
it doesnt restore hormonal balance . Synthetic Insulin came next , Dead in Bed Syndrome , about 3 months of trials which would
normally be 2to3 yrs , have applied to view under freedom of information , was told more than 30 yrs on it is commercially sensitive , yet we know from a whistle blower between 20to 25 % of subjects suffered ADRs and still do . The list is enormous and growing , I have been unfortunate to have been damaged by 4 of Pharmas dodgey products but you try get help from NHS , they take the side of Pharma yet they licenced it for use .
On the news today Diclofenac, I was prescribed some cream looked it up on Google found 1st it was responsible for destroying 90%
of Asian Vultures , they fed on cattle who had treated with it . (total renal failure). Doctors will tell you it cant trans species , but read on it is known to do a lot of frightening things damaging DNA , yet was prescribed for Menstrual pain .

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Januvia for 3 years now, and after watching the programme, I immediatly stopped taking it.

I will consult with my Doctor, but I am NOT going back on Januvia whatever he says!!!!

I take Metformin, and Aspirin a day and thats where i intend to stay.

The drug companies cover up to many issues like this> :evil: :evil:

LittleWolf

Barrie Smith said:
The Criminal activety continues , since the late 70s NHS no longer observes Clinical Trials , they accept as gospel what Pharma
tells them which throws open the field to commercial interest .
It is only when patients are damaged or die that it comes into focus , I think it started with the introduction of Synthroid in UK
Levothyroxine in place of Natural Porcine Thyroid .(now there is a criminal activity ,no sience or traceable trials for most patients
it doesnt restore hormonal balance . Synthetic Insulin came next , Dead in Bed Syndrome , about 3 months of trials which would
normally be 2to3 yrs , have applied to view under freedom of information , was told more than 30 yrs on it is commercially sensitive , yet we know from a whistle blower between 20to 25 % of subjects suffered ADRs and still do . The list is enormous and growing , I have been unfortunate to have been damaged by 4 of Pharmas dodgey products but you try get help from NHS , they take the side of Pharma yet they licenced it for use .
On the news today Diclofenac, I was prescribed some cream looked it up on Google found 1st it was responsible for destroying 90%
of Asian Vultures , they fed on cattle who had treated with it . (total renal failure). Doctors will tell you it cant trans species , but read on it is known to do a lot of frightening things damaging DNA , yet was prescribed for Menstrual pain .

Glad someone else realised that the Pharma companies literally get away with murder and profit is put before patient health..

But holy ****, Diclofenac is the ONLY painkiller I haven't had personal complaints or reservations about so far- looks like that one's out too. Renal failure? I was worried about what the other drugs would do to my liver an stomach (other painkillers caused bleeding in my intestines) I have had a nagging pain in the kidney area for the last month or so :/

As for these diabetes drugs I am looking at diagnosis in the next week and before any kind of medication passes my lips I want to hear from more people what these very different pills actually do to you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jake60

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm fed up of being a diabetic after only a year.
I find the information from all the different sources confusing and conflicting.
I'm just trying to live as normal as possible and stuff it ... we all die.
Welcome to the 21st century ... don't drink the water breathe the air or eat the food or take the industrial drugs and you'll be just fine.
People say ... but we're living longer than ever but seeing my aunt in a nursing home not knowing who I am or who she is herself then I can only think she and those who love her would all be better off if the chemicals weren't keeping her alive beyone what would have been natural for her.
I don't want to live that long if I can't wipe my own back side and remember who I am thank you.