Binge eating?

K

Kat100

Eating after evening meal is a problem I have...now I know I am not alone....it's hard isn't it

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a bit of melt down today. Was getting all worked up about stuff and tried really hard not to eat. Ended up really upset

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Its not nice but at the same time comforting to know i'm not the only one who had/has an eating disorder. I have problems with high and low blood sugar. When I go high I feel like i should start starving myself again, when I go low I want to eat everything.

It's only since returning to a normal weight, after having slowly reintroduced carbohydrate into my diet after having been so scared to eat those things for fear of being fat, that PCOS shows up and eating makes me feel sick. Not eating makes me feel sick. Maybe I never went hyper and my blood tests showed up normal because I just didn't eat. *** are you suppose to do >_> I feel like I've been punished for finally eating like a normal person and ignoring the constant voice in my head telling me I'm fat. My T1 partner is always pushing me to eat more carbs and sugar because of my eating disorder but doesn't understand insulin resistance or T2 so we get into arguments over what I should eat or what we eat when we're together. He just takes his adjusted insulin and is fine. I'm sweating buckets and agitated or falling asleep or throwing up when I'm running too high.

I think the starve-binge pattern aggravated the BG problem in the first place. So I kind of brought it upon myself so I should stop ranting I guess

tinyroman

The truth is that none of us brought our diabetes and associated problems on ourselves. We didn't choose to have diabetes, and that makes it feel worse at times; having it makes me feel as though I've lost control of a big part of me - my health. Nothing I do - exercise, healthy lifestyle etc - will get rid of it, and sometimes I feel just so helpless. Then feeling guilty for not being able to control my eating doesn't help.
It's really not simple.

palm_tree

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have so much in common with the contributions made in this thread. My cravings for carbs are dreadful, particularly after 9pm at night. I blamed the Lantus but having switched my long acting insulin to Levemir last year I still get cravings and binge eat as a result. If I reduce my Levemir dose I lose the cravings somewhat but I get higher blood sugar test results as a consequence.

jjplayer369

Wow I feel this completely!
In fact I just had a major binge last night (3 doughnuts and a whole tub of ben and jerrys!) and woke up in the middle of the night at 20mm/ol! It really scares me and freaks me out so i've been up the last 3 hours worrying about it, I basically had a panic attack about it! I get so angry and annoyed at myself aswell for caving!
Usually I restrict my diet quite alot. This time last year I had a slight eating disorder and lost alot of weight by basically living off veg and it all started from that...
Well really it all started from the day I was diagnosed and eating became such an issue. Having to check and take care of EVERYTHING i'm eating! In a way I feel those binge moments are a way for me to just not care for an hour or so. It's like I'm trying to forget I have diabetes and I don't bother looking at the nutrition of anything I'm eating, I just eat it! Something I never do otherwise.
I don't have a problem with my weight, infact I'm told I'm underweight (7 stone at 5 foot 6 inches) so thats not the issue, but I just want to have these stupid binges under control once and for all! I need to find a medium!
I also find that the next 1 or 2 or maybe 3 days after a binge my bg likes to stay high no matter how much insulin I give myself. I seem to become EXTREMELY resistant!

Magski

I am afraid to say I binge almost constantly, I always feel hungry after a dinner, I will hit the fruit bowl, after that I hit the fridge then the biscuit barrell, it is really distressing for me as for over 50 years I was always around the 9.5 stone weight now I am 13 stone and I cant stop. I just constantly feel hungry, I am on Novomix 30 29 units at breakfast and 29 units in the afternoon, I also take Saxagliptin, and Metformin.........I don't know where it will all end, so fed up !

tizzy

Hi I thought it was just me being odd but if I am high I am starving and long for chocolate if low I drink fruit juice as I feel I can't eat a morsel lol

Jillycoops5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi,
i have been diabetic type 2 for 9 months now and I binge eat but also did before i was diabetic. I was really good when first diagnosed but lately haven't been able to stop myself. the problem being i binge eat when fed up, bored etc. I find it a big problem and of course as soon as i binge my bg goes up. I am also trying to lose weight so really trying to watch what i eat but sometimes I think sod it I REALLY DON'T CARE, WHICH IS RUBBISH CAUSE i DO! :( :(

jude67

:( I binge eat and am vastly overweight, i dont exercise hardly, infact i feel useless, i had a double heart bypass in 2011, then blood clots on my lungs in 2012, and i have really slowed down, so much physically, im not sure how ro get myself going again, our gps surgery used to have a weight clinic, they did swimming etc but it dusnt exist anymore,
I know i should help myself, but it isnt happening at all,

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
wow guys, I feel so much better that I'm not alone in this! Like you all I have a binge mostly on Saturdays and I can't stop. I restrict my diet quite a lot during the week, very limited carbs, I weigh everything and basically live off fruit and veg. It's almost become obsessive in a way because I look and feel good in my clothes I kind of don't want to put any weight back on - eek. I'm trying really hard not to become too obsessed but it's so hard, this must be on the cusp of an eating disorder?
I usually binge like mad on Saturdays, eating a full bag of tortilla crisps with dips, sometimes I'm even eating cakes and chocolate with it. The next day I feel awful and am straight to the gym to try to redeem myself.

It must be strongly linked to diabetes if we're all feeling the same with our binges

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The last couple of months have been awful. Been binging most days. Its like i cannot stop. Of course i never test when i am like this. I decided to start controlling a bit as my self confidence is rock bottom and all my insecurities bro coming back. Omg my bg is so high. Mid to upper 20 fasting. Yesterday i was bad at lunch and after it was 30. Went home and had more carbs and before dinner the meter die not even register a reading. It just said high. Trying to go low carb again but its hard. :(

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
No i know they will put me on it so i have been avoiding going for my check up. Thinking about how much weight i ll probably put on with insulin fills me with more dread. I an already overweight as it is. So it would be vicious circle of insulin more weight gain more insulin. I don't think i ll be able to live like that

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
claymic said:
No i know they will put me on it so i have been avoiding going for my check up. Thinking about how much weight i ll probably put on with insulin fills me with more dread. I an already overweight as it is. So it would be vicious circle of insulin more weight gain more insulin. I don't think i ll be able to live like that

With insulin there is no need to gain weight, I only put on 3lbs and that would probably have happened anyway!

DanielBail

Im a very skinny person bmi17 and I was put on a high carb high fat diet which consisted of pretty much eating and exercise all day everyday. Then nearly a week ago im diagnosed with type 1 and obviously put on the low carb 3 meals a day Mediterranean diet. and tbh craving food like its no ones buisness but I have realised that the trick is that regardless of which diet your following the key is to find out which meals aee going to be the most satisfying for you. For example I dont eat cereal because il have a bowl for breakfast and fill up but then half hour later im hungry again. Theres no real set rule as everyone's different but find the meals that are most satisfying for you and im certain you'll find it easier

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Also when you have just been diagnosed with diabetes you are always hungry when you first go on insulin as your cells have been starved for so long .my nurse said you can feel hungry for weeks after an at first just eat what you bee to stabilised

DanielBail

That makes sence its been a week and im still starving even when my stomachs full im still soo soo hungry but bg control is soo hard without restricting the diet too rho is it not?

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
You just have to inject for snacks and also give correction shots,have they shown you how yet .that way carb counting really helps keep good control but its just getting your ratios right first

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
claymic said:

I can only speak from my own experience, I was diagnosed type 2 in 1997. I am 5' 7" at my heaviest I was just a little over 17st (The ideal weight they say for my height I have never been!) I gained all the weight whilst on insulin, in the end it was a viscous circle I was always hungry so eating more then having to inject more! I was put on Byetta at the end of May and I currently weigh 14st 2lbs, still have weight to lose and I'm never hungry! I understand your dread of insulin because im like that now because I know if I have to go back on it I will put the weight back on!

I know this post is not about binge eating although I do on chocolate about once a month, I would never be able to give it up although I have cut down from eating 2/3 120g bars a day to just 1.

I was in denial with my diabetes for a long time, I took the tablets when I remembered to, I went onto insulin also took that when I remembered. It wasn't till I had DKA in August 2010 and was very ill, I then started to take it seriously! I know a little more about it than I did and there are lots of people on this forum that are way more knowledgable than I ever will be. So please try and take control of your diabetes before it takes control of you.