Need to lose 80kg, starting tomorrow!

mrsgreensmith

hale710 said:
Do you test through the night at all? Your rise could be due to dawn phenomenon, or maybe your levimer level is incorrect! You should eat dinner 4-5 hours before bed and eat nothing else. Test before bed, then test a couple times over night at say 2 hour intervals. This should give you a guide as to whether your rise is slow and steady (wrong Levemir dose) or all at once at a certain time (dawn phenomenon).

Hope that helps!

No I never test in the night! I've heard of dawn phenomenon but never looked into what it really is, if it is dawn phenomenon what do I do?

Thanks Cass x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
One handy hint!
start TODAY, don't wait, tomorrow never comes
otherwise try cutting back on carbs and reduce portion size. A smaller dinner plate can help here.
Base your menus on fresh veggies. Keeping the roots to small amounts. Use meats, cheeses, fish and eggs. Don't be afraid of fats and go for the natural foods as much as possible.
If you are not already a good cook, find classes to go to.
eat ENOUGH and not TOO MUCH. there's no need to feel stuffed.
Hana

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mrsgreensmith said:
hale710 said:
Do you test through the night at all? Your rise could be due to dawn phenomenon, or maybe your levimer level is incorrect! You should eat dinner 4-5 hours before bed and eat nothing else. Test before bed, then test a couple times over night at say 2 hour intervals. This should give you a guide as to whether your rise is slow and steady (wrong Levemir dose) or all at once at a certain time (dawn phenomenon).

Hope that helps!

No I never test in the night! I've heard of dawn phenomenon but never looked into what it really is, if it is dawn phenomenon what do I do?

Thanks Cass x

Ummm I don't get it really so to be honest I'm not 100% sure! I am under the impression there isn't much you can do other than take an extra unit or 2 with breakfast. The test is more to make sure that your Levemir is correct.

It is also possible that you went hypo over night and your liver dumped glucose to fix it and the result was a morning high. So testing through the night proves WHAT the issue is, and then you can find out how to fix it! Your DSN would advise with that.

Do the tests for 3 nights in a row without changing your levemir. If the same thing happens 3 times it's considered a pattern.

mrsgreensmith

hale710 said:
Ummm I don't get it really so to be honest I'm not 100% sure! I am under the impression there isn't much you can do other than take an extra unit or 2 with breakfast. The test is more to make sure that your Levemir is correct.

It is also possible that you went hypo over night and your liver dumped glucose to fix it and the result was a morning high. So testing through the night proves WHAT the issue is, and then you can find out how to fix it! Your DSN would advise with that.

Do the tests for 3 nights in a row without changing your levemir. If the same thing happens 3 times it's considered a pattern.

Ok thanks for that, early dinner tonight then!

Cass x

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Join something like a WeightWatchers group for advice guidance and encouragement. Also, go to the gym three times a week and walk, walk, walk. Eventually, you will start feeling better and start to reverse the effects of the diabetes. Hang in there as you are young and wait for advances in medical science to really get to grips with this disease. Above all forget a little bit of this or that won't hurt. Go cold turkey and you will loose the taste for whatever it is you crave. However, remember you health comes before losing weight so remember its a marathon not a sprint. Courage and good luck, there is no downside to what you want to achieve.

mrsgreensmith

So an early dinner did not happen because my hubby wanted to go to a car and motorbike show after work, so only just finished dinner now.

I had an omelette for lunch as I didn't have it for breakfast and really enjoyed the one I had for breakfast yesterday, blood glucose was 7 before and 4.7 two hours after, think I could cut my novo rapid down here a bit?

I had a small tin of tuna with a spoon of mayo about 4ish because that was when I was made aware we were going out and I knew dinner would be a long way off.

Dinner was haddock in cheese sauce and veg, very very tasty! Before meal was 8. I also had 4 strawberries and a dollop of extra thick double cream which went down a treat. So today I have eaten 34.45g of carbs in total, don't think I could cut it down more than this, 11g was my veg with my dinner! I am starting to wonder ow people do less than 20g on Atkins induction.

So I have been doing this for 2 days now, feel quite full most of the time and I m enjoying the food. I am getting little carb cravings but nothing like what I expected and they have been easily resisted. My novo rapid doses have halved and I think I can cut my lunchtime down a bit more. What a result already, just hope the scales agree on Friday! Bring it on....

Cass x

dutch1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cass

Well done for taking that first step to losing weight ... I too am losing weight at present have lost 31 LB in 10 wks just by changing how i eat i have 3 meals a day have stopped snaking in between which was the hardest part ..i cook everything from scratch and control portion size am only recently diagnosed so still getting used to carb counting but getting there as i am positive you will
too. This site is great for advice and support you could not be in a better place

Good luck

john

nickeez2003

Hi,
I weighed 22stone 2lb july 2007, I am type 2 and had gallstone trouble.
I saw my diabetic consultant at Southmead Hospital, He put me on a 'Yogurt' diet for 8 week.
600 calories a day, low fat /fat free , , After 4 weeks he said I could have low carb salad or veg, with the yogurts staying at 600 calories.
I lost 13 lb the first week, it after 8 weeks eat normal small portions, and watch what you eat.
It took me about 9 months to lose 6 stone 3lb. I am still watching what I eat, I had my gallbladder out last july.
I was on 5 injection a day taking 50, 60 am 50 dinner time , 50 teatime and 90 at bedtime, I am now on just 2 injections of insulin 8 am and 18 at bedtime.
I was put on victoza as well.
I need to lose another 3 stone, I am , as we speak cutting down again and trying to lose the weight.
It is very hard ,especially when you cook for the family , and I love my food.
But I gotta try , ,I am 47 with a 7 year old daughter and sons 26 and 28 .
Good luck
Nicky :D

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Cass,
Well done so far, I hope it keeps going good for you and you start to see some positive changes. If I may some tips on your quantities of injections. I would have a chat with your dsn or the dietician about learning how to carb count instead of giving just set amounts of insulin, as I see you drop lower than you want to after every meal. Your basal insulin (levemir) seems low in comparison to your bolus insulin so maybe your need to chat with your dsn about maybe upping that slightly and reducing your bolus. This might be why you are higher in the mornings, but it may also be because the action of levemir sometimes looses its effect it doesn't always last exactly 24hrs for everyone, to cover this some people find that it's better for their control to split their basal instead of taking it in a lump. If you have dawn phemnomena there isn't really much you can do if you have already tried splitting your basal unless you try an insulin pump (but usually only type 1's have access to them), but i'm sure the lower carb and weight loss will be a big help. I agree with hale the only real way to test how your basal works is to try the fasting tests and try and map what happens.
With low carbing most people try to aim under 50g a day, some can get it lower but 50g is relatively low to make a big difference. With the constipation side of things as someone else said keep properly hydrated and this should help a lot, Also lots of vegs and some fruits help a lot as well this is why 50g might be a better target then hopefully you won't be bunged up. :crazy:
Good luck with your quest, you've inspired me (I weigh 80kg what you've got to loose) to dig in and loose that extra 5kg or so. I know how to and have all the tools to I'm just lazy and life gets in the way, just got a big boot up the bum from reading your post.
Thanks Laura

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I was diagnosed Type 2 last week and have been cramming info from this wonderful site since last Tuesday.
I did a Tesco online shop last night and ordered 12 bottles of Tesco fizzy mineral water, 4 lemons, 4 limes and started drinking lemon and lime infused water whenever I would have had a cup of tea. I have a large sugar in every cup of tea I drink and I usually drink about 6 cups a day. That will save me a few calories won't it.... I have tried Splendour and Stevia but don't like either of them so water is the way forward.

I also bought my usual stack of veg and some fruit which I don't eat much of. I eat lots of veg and never put butter on them. I don't eat potatoes and I don't like gravies or sauces. I don't eat sweets or chocolate or crisps but my downfall is definitely cheese. I bought reduced fat Leerdammer which is 'only' 3 grammes of fat per slice rather than full fat which is 5.

Just hope liver is ok as I bought 4 packets of lambs liver too.....

My other downfall is Rose wine. It's only 8% and I mix it half wine and half fizzy water. I should pack it up completely but I haven't quite managed that yet although I am trying really hard.

My first diabetic nurse meeting is next Wednesday and I am hoping to get a free monitor and a prescriiption for strips but I am not holding my breath on that one.

I am ready to face this. And I need to lose the 30kg which has slowly gone on in the last 5 years.

Can't wait... But being needle phobic I am not looking forward to the lancets....

mrsgreensmith

pumppimp said:
Hi Cass,
Well done so far, I hope it keeps going good for you and you start to see some positive changes. If I may some tips on your quantities of injections. I would have a chat with your dsn or the dietician about learning how to carb count instead of giving just set amounts of insulin, as I see you drop lower than you want to after every meal. Your basal insulin (levemir) seems low in comparison to your bolus insulin so maybe your need to chat with your dsn about maybe upping that slightly and reducing your bolus. This might be why you are higher in the mornings, but it may also be because the action of levemir sometimes looses its effect it doesn't always last exactly 24hrs for everyone, to cover this some people find that it's better for their control to split their basal instead of taking it in a lump. If you have dawn phemnomena there isn't really much you can do if you have already tried splitting your basal unless you try an insulin pump (but usually only type 1's have access to them), but i'm sure the lower carb and weight loss will be a big help. I agree with hale the only real way to test how your basal works is to try the fasting tests and try and map what happens.
With low carbing most people try to aim under 50g a day, some can get it lower but 50g is relatively low to make a big difference. With the constipation side of things as someone else said keep properly hydrated and this should help a lot, Also lots of vegs and some fruits help a lot as well this is why 50g might be a better target then hopefully you won't be bunged up. :crazy:
Good luck with your quest, you've inspired me (I weigh 80kg what you've got to loose) to dig in and loose that extra 5kg or so. I know how to and have all the tools to I'm just lazy and life gets in the way, just got a big boot up the bum from reading your post.
Thanks Laura

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. My basal levemir is already split, I take 36 at night and 22 in the morning. I don't have a dsn, never seen one, just the consultant at the hospital every quarter. I have always been taught to do trial and rotor with insulin, so we started with 10 units way back in 2010 and just upped it 2 or lowered it 2 depending on blood glucose levels last time I ate it till it came right, wouldn't really know where to start with carb counting to be honest! Haven't had the constipation... YET... But it is something I worry I will get iykwim!

I am glad I've inspired you, you can do it!

Cass x

mrsgreensmith

zolabud said:
I was diagnosed Type 2 last week and have been cramming info from this wonderful site since last Tuesday.
I did a Tesco online shop last night and ordered 12 bottles of Tesco fizzy mineral water, 4 lemons, 4 limes and started drinking lemon and lime infused water whenever I would have had a cup of tea. I have a large sugar in every cup of tea I drink and I usually drink about 6 cups a day. That will save me a few calories won't it.... I have tried Splendour and Stevia but don't like either of them so water is the way forward.

I also bought my usual stack of veg and some fruit which I don't eat much of. I eat lots of veg and never put butter on them. I don't eat potatoes and I don't like gravies or sauces. I don't eat sweets or chocolate or crisps but my downfall is definitely cheese. I bought reduced fat Leerdammer which is 'only' 3 grammes of fat per slice rather than full fat which is 5.

Just hope liver is ok as I bought 4 packets of lambs liver too.....

My other downfall is Rose wine. It's only 8% and I mix it half wine and half fizzy water. I should pack it up completely but I haven't quite managed that yet although I am trying really hard.

My first diabetic nurse meeting is next Wednesday and I am hoping to get a free monitor and a prescriiption for strips but I am not holding my breath on that one.

I am ready to face this. And I need to lose the 30kg which has slowly gone on in the last 5 years.

Can't wait... But being needle phobic I am not looking forward to the lancets....

I can completely agree with the needle phobia, I was the same as you just 3 years ago; cringed watching my father in law inject, but actually it's not anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be. In fact my diabetes inspired me to become a nurse which I am now a quarter of the way through becoming qualified, so it's not all negative, it depends on how you look at it and whether you let it get you down or spur you on.

Just a hint though, you're looking at fat content however fat doesn't really affect blood sugars, not in the same way carbs do so maybe do some research on carbs. Most low fat stuff is laden with sugar to compensate surprisingly!

You CAN do this!

mrsgreensmith

nickeez2003 said:
Hi,
I weighed 22stone 2lb july 2007, I am type 2 and had gallstone trouble.
I saw my diabetic consultant at Southmead Hospital, He put me on a 'Yogurt' diet for 8 week.
600 calories a day, low fat /fat free , , After 4 weeks he said I could have low carb salad or veg, with the yogurts staying at 600 calories.
I lost 13 lb the first week, it after 8 weeks eat normal small portions, and watch what you eat.
It took me about 9 months to lose 6 stone 3lb. I am still watching what I eat, I had my gallbladder out last july.
I was on 5 injection a day taking 50, 60 am 50 dinner time , 50 teatime and 90 at bedtime, I am now on just 2 injections of insulin 8 am and 18 at bedtime.
I was put on victoza as well.
I need to lose another 3 stone, I am , as we speak cutting down again and trying to lose the weight.
It is very hard ,especially when you cook for the family , and I love my food.
But I gotta try , ,I am 47 with a 7 year old daughter and sons 26 and 28 .
Good luck
Nicky :D

Well done Nicky, really inspires me that it can be done, especially in your reductions of injections. I'm not allowed to take Victoria or byetta because of the pancreatitis I have had, however I was on byetta for a short time and it cut down my insulin requirements considerably, took me off it when I first got took in hospital with pancreatitis :(

Good luck with the next 3 stone, you've already proved it can be done!

Cass x

mrsgreensmith

So, not been on today till now as I have been busy today, went into college to give in some last bits of portfolio work, my very last day tomorrow and then it's off to uni in September.. Can't wait!

Had ham and cheese omelette for breakfast (1.39g carbs), cooked by my lovely hubby because I laid in bed too long and was too busy getting ready! Went to bed with blood glucose level of 7.3 but woke up at 10.2 drenched in sweat. I have a feeling I am going low so I am setting my alarm for the middle of the night to test tonight... The joys!

Lunch was a ham salad from the college salad bar, I carefully avoided all the carb laden stuff with sauces that have god knows what in them and it ended up quite a boring salad, but never mind, i am guessing it was about 8g of carbs from my similar sized tuna salad which i weighed out on Monday. Blood glucose was 8.6 before and 7 just 2 hours later, I cut my insulin down to 24 from 30 units so this seemed to do the trick.

I am just waiting for dinner to cook; chicken in peppercorn sauce with mushrooms and veg which adds up to 16.2g of carbs, followed by strawberries and extra thick cream at 8.6g of carbs so a running total of 34.19g.

Feeling good today though not sure if its the diet or the end of college drawing closer!

Any snack suggestions?

Thanks

Cass x

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
Snacks?
Walnuts are a good snack - just 2 seem to go a long way and they are apparently good for your cholesterol.
As I refuse to take statins I have a daily chopped up clove of garlic washed down with a dairy-free Benecol drink. As long as you don't chew the garlic no-one would know you ate it. But this also feels like a snack to get me through to the next meal.
Raw Cauliflower florets smeared with humus is brilliant too.

saloplass

Well here is wishing you all the luck in the world Cass. should you have a little tumble just dont give up, carry on the next day - try not to beat yourself up. You will get there in the end if you really mean it. Slow and sure is so much better than cutting everything out, so fingers crossed. :D

mrsgreensmith

Disaster struck yesterday, I woke in the middle of the night with huge tonsils, so huge I am unable to eat anything solid at the moment, so I'm stuck to soup and frozen lollipops which certainly are not low carb!

On the positive side I have lost 2.6kgs and that's in just 5 days!

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mrsgreensmith said:
Disaster struck yesterday, I woke in the middle of the night with huge tonsils, so huge I am unable to eat anything solid at the moment, so I'm stuck to soup and frozen lollipops which certainly are not low carb!

On the positive side I have lost 2.6kgs and that's in just 5 days!

This I can sympathise with! Mine are so large in the first place that they cover about half my throat. In getting them removed in July (about 20 years Late!)

I go for sugar free jelly, still has some carb but not much. It's gentle on the throat. I prefer to avoid soup as I like cold things on my throat.

Try freezing ice cube trays with weak diluting juice - almost no carb so better than frozen Lollys!

If there is infection watch you BG closely and be aware of ketones. Lots of fluids. You may need to up your insulin slightly as your BG could rise.

Dont worry about the diet while you're ill, concentrate on getting better and go back to the diet afterwards. I hope you feel better soon!