Here I come, ready or not.......

Gwilo

So after 1 month on blood pressure medication, two changes of medication and being over run with every sort of fungal infection known to man (feet being eaten alive with atheletes foot, thrush in my mouth) for a fortnight, I duly attended for fasting blood tests and BP check yesterday.

The urine dip test came back as being over 200. When it should be negative.....so I'm having some issues with glucose.
The nurse was cautious about saying I had diabetes, but the raft of bloods taken would confirm.

I was due to see an actual doctor too later that day for the crazy fungii infestation, and she duly inspected all affected areas, listened as I describes how I've noticed eating sugar makes the itching more intense.
She asked if my feet sweat......well yes, who's don't?
This is a bad sign apparently.
Coupled with the dip test, she explained until my sugar was controlled, I'll get every fungal infection going and the told me to go home and have a nice meal, enjoy it, as I was going to have to make some radical changes later this week when the bloods come back.
I asked if the bloods would confirm diabetes - she said "No, you've got diabetes. The bloods will just tell us how bad."
:silent:

So I went home last night, told SWMBO, had a bit of a cry and then ate a massive plate of mashed potato :shh: (apparently that's 'bad' too)

So, it's all over. I'm here, and life won't quite be the same again.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there. Yes, a large plate of mash isn't the best thing! Once you get your blood sugar down, the fungal problems should recede; well at least the thrush if not the athletes foot. Diet is the key as you are beginning to find out. Keep the carbs well down and have low-GI ones. If the diet doesn't work over a few weeks then you may have some tablets prescribed; probably Metformin to start with. Yes, diabetes is a bit life-changing but not the end of the world. Daisy should be along shortly with lots of info and links for diet etc

Gwilo

Daibell said:
Hi there. Yes, a large plate of mash isn't the best thing!
Can I claim I was following Doctors orders.....so last night was like a last meal....
Can't say I fancy the idea of metformin - SWMBO was prescribed that (not for diabetes) and it just played havoc with her bowel. I cant say I'd be thrilled about that, given I spend 1/5th of my day in the car on routes poorly served with clean and comfortable sanitation facilities!

Thing is, I feel fine. My exposure to diabetics has been old ladies having hypos. I'm just trying to get my head around where I am in relation to all this. I guess confirmation of type will propel me in the right direction.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Daibell said:
Daisy should be along shortly with lots of info and links for diet etc

Hi Gwilo and welcome to the forum :)
Here is the information which Daibell mentioned which we give to new members. Ask as many questions as you need to and there will be someone who comes along to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 30,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes ... rains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
BTW, if you are prescribed Metformin ask for the Slow Release (SR) version as it gives fewer bowel problems. Over 8 years I've had none; perhaps I'm lucky

elaine77

Ah I miss mashed potato so bad :-( it's super ridiculous for my body though and I just can't eat it at all! Welcome to the forum :)

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Elaine; I miss EVERYTHING.. chips, Chinese take outs, and..... (drum roll please) .. CHOOOOCOLATE.....!!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
I'm on the soluble Metformin which seems to work OK and cut back from the 80mg to 40mg of Gliclazide. You / your doctor need to be able to play around with the meds in the first year. some people react differently to the same meds and there are different manufacturers and different strenghts. As others have said, you can still enjoy life...just in moderation :)
Welcome to the forum
Regards
Jeremy

elaine77

Can't eat chips at all either :-( I do have the odd piece of chocolate though every few weeks as I seem to be better with sugar than I am with carbs (weirdly!) but then again I never really had a massive sweet tooth I was a bread person...particularly French and ciabatta :'(

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

blothom

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rudeness, ignorance, racism, intolerance and butter beans
Good luck with the new adventure of controlling diabetes! As someone who was diagnosed Type 2 in 1999, diet control to start with, then onto tablets, I would advise that you get as much info as poss, and support from your DSN/Local diabetic team, and LISTEN TO WHAT THEY SAY! I chose to ignore my diabetes, because, like you, I felt fine, and the tablets made me feel ill, so I stopped taking them. I also have a very sweet tooth, and consumed loads of sugar loaded foods. I am now suffering with complications affecting my feet and eyes and have been put onto insulin injections. This is not intended to be a scare story, just advice from someone who has learnt a lesson the hard way. Follow the guidelines, and don't be afraid to speak to your doctor if the meds don't suit you to start with - they can be changed, and your body takes time to adjust. Persevere and you will get there, and be a happier, healthier person. :thumbup:

Gwilo

Thanks for the tips and the votes of confidence in the posts above.

Yes, it's a bit of a shock. More so that the bloods have all come back today saying "normal".
In some ways, that's great new, in others, I'm quite upset that the GP was quite insistent I was/am diabetic. Other symptoms say I am, bloods say no....who's right?!?

I'm very much with you blothom - I have a ridiculously sweet tooth, and have generally ignored (or tried to) part of the family history with diabetes. So maybe this is a wake up call for me.

Still can't figure out why everything seems to react to sugar........unless iIve developed an allergy.....

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
If you end up on insulin you will be able to eat the mashed potato you like, as long as you counteract it with sufficient insulin. :D

Gwilo

dave howard said:
If you end up on insulin you will be able to eat the mashed potato you like, as long as you counteract it with sufficient insulin. :D
Loving the thinking......not sure SWMBO would agree with my logic though (Assuming type 1).

More confusing today:
I've just received a call from the practice nurse, who'd been given my blood results. Now, bearing in mind that a FGT is based on an 8-10 hour fast....the "normal range is up to 5.9, right?

So I'd fasted for just over 12 hours, had accidentally pee'd at 4:30 that morning and not captured it - the sample I gave was from 7am when I got up properly and still posted a high number on the dip test.
Despite me querying the blood results last week and being told they were fine & normal, the doctor has reviewed and say 6.3 isn't right.

I'd agree, based on all the above. Coupled with the raging eczema in my feet and elbows, insatiable athletes foot, worrying jock itch, distateful oral thrush, tiredness and lightheadness many afternoons.......I feel like I'm in a Top Gear-esque medical sit-com.......
"G set out to get a proper diagnoses for Diabetes.........How hard can it be?" :lol:

Gwilo

pickledpepper2 said:
Quick note:

Any mash potato lovers out there can compensate with mashed celeriac - it's a viable alternative.
There is NO viable alternative to good mashed potato! :lol:

elaine77

Mashed celeriac is rank yak! Mashed swede will have to do....

pickledpepper2

elaine77 said:

It's not bad at all with some gravy, which will cover up the distinct flavour for the uninitiated.....

Bangers and celeriac mash with gravy.....hhhhmmmmmm....

A

Anonymous

elaine77 said:

You could try adding chopped spring onions to your swede or celeriac mash and/or maybe a dob of wasabi or mustard if you like things hot. My son told me about a Jamie Oliver swede thing which sounded nice. I'll try and find it.

elaine77

I'm no good me coz I hate spicy food, don't like mustard or anything with a strong taste, don't like spring onions too. I was never a sweets and chocolate person but I loved my fruit and my bread and my rice and pasta.... Basically a carb freak :-(

A

Anonymous

elaine77 said:
I'm no good me coz I hate spicy food, don't like mustard or anything with a strong taste, don't like spring onions too. I was never a sweets and chocolate person but I loved my fruit and my bread and my rice and pasta.... Basically a carb freak :-(

You must be a doddle to buy pressies for!! :p