What's everyone's hba1cs?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.7/39. Up a bit, for me.

Next one is due in a couple of weeks. That should have an interesting story to tell - watch this space! :D

Viv 8)

lindisfel

Expert
Was 46 in April, controlled by diet by eating to meter post prandial..no medication.

Was 50 earlier in year and last autumn when diagnosed.
BMI now <24

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
daisy1 said:
Mine's 5.5 - we are still using old money here and in new money I calculate it as 36.

Please excuse my ignorance here. I have been type2 diabetic for 8 years or so, can't remember exactly. My latest reading on 24.5.13 was 37. I am a 60 year old male about 5'9" tall. Weight about 12st 5lb. I am now classed as not being diabetic, or if you prefer, no longer in need of medication. Does that mean everyone on this site with a reading like mine is not on medication? Or have I STILL not grasped it?!?! Please explain in words of one syllable or maybe one letter.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lrw60 said:
Does that mean everyone on this site with a reading like mine is not on medication? Or have I STILL not grasped it?!?! Please explain in words of one syllable or maybe one letter.

No, some people will get low readings because they are helped by the medication that they take and if they stop taking it, the hba1c will rise again. You have achieved 37 without the aid of medication and purely by diet and exercise alone.

Whilst I think diet and exercise is the better way to go, it is not always possible. Sometimes diet and exercise would not be enough and sometimes people simply do not have the time to exercise or the opportunity to eat the sort of diet that they should. I used to see people who lived in Lincs or Norfolk commuting to London to work. Catch the 7 o'clock train back at 20.00. Some of them also had a 1 hour car journey back at their home station. It's all plastic wrapped sandwiches and fast food outlets and I can see that they would not have the inclination or energy to prepare a healthy low carb meal and take exercise when they got back.

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
Just got back from my yearly revue 5.5 hba1c Tah dah!!! :D
Chlesterol 4.9 :shock: its gone up a bit .3 but they do not seem bothered told to carry on as I am as "I have resolved my diabetes issue" whatever that means.

So thinking of having one of those cholesterol lowering drinks every day.

By the way it is all thanks to the people on this forum they should get a medal - if I had listened to the nurses at my surgery I would probably be pretty high especially if I ate what they said. I just smile now and tell them I eat about half the portions I used to. I actually do eat less as I take 2 metformin and they tend to curb the appetite, but I also test and eat to my meter. I have found it easier to "do my own thing" they know I do not walk the party line but do not enquire about what I actually do and I don't inform them, it is probably better that way, less confrontational I need the surgery for other ailments!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
sdgray22 said:
So thinking of having one of those cholesterol lowering drinks every day.

Not too sure how effective they are. Yes, they contain stuff which in principle does help, but just not very much of it. I think they overstate it. I've seen the same with eggs where the chickens are fed on omega 3 enriched foods. Whether that translates into those eggs being cholesterol reducing is highly suspect. Just buy a tin of sardines.

Also trigs are important, you need to watch those. The British Heart Foundation has an easy to read publication online entitled:
Reducing Your Blood Cholesterol
http://www.bhf.org.uk/plugins/Publicati ... version=-1

michaeldavid

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
not thinking
27 mmol/mol or 4.6% (16/01/'13)
27 mmol/mol or 4.6% (27/12/'12)

This is mainly on account of what I eat, and the way I eat.

Dark rye bread throughout the morning is crucial (with pear and apple spread, it's delicious): this serves to build effective HYPO RESISTANCE. (I don't need to 'count carbs'; I simply eat, and watch my blood-sugar.) It's often a bit low, but my blood-sugar never CRASHES.

I feed my insulin. (DAFNE is daft: it's unrealistic to think you can eat normally as a diabetic.) I have practically no insulin operating within me at bedtime.

I check my blood-sugar 15-20 times per day. (I couldn't do without Betachek Visual testing strips for this.)

Hypos are uncommon for me; severe hypos, a rarity.

I last had a severe hypo in September 2012: I took a little too much Insulatard one evening, before bed. But I'm operating under my own guidance. (My management is certainly contrary to orthodox medical advice; and I receive no other medical advice.) So that error was unsurprising.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
5.3 was my last reading, taken at the end of April. Next one is at the end of August.

Viv 8)

B

badcat

40 (5.8%) in old units
Was 67 a year ago after having had 17 years as a well controlled diabetic before that
Low carb (under 50g) has made the difference and allowed me to reduce meds too

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
6.7% in April - lowest it's ever been. I think in new money it's 57?? not sure I can't remember.

Next one is July so fingers crossed it stays the same :D

Pamzy2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People with bad manners
Diagnosed last November, was 7.1. Come down to 5.8 over the last two tests since, last one in May. Controlled with diet and exercise only :)

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Slowly improving after years of being too complacent now 48 or 6.5%

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
My Hba1c is now 45 by low carb/low GI diet, It was 50 a year ago and at diagnosis in late 2012.
It came down to 46 last spring and is still creeping in the right direction.

Hope you all meet with success in your endeavours.
atb
Derek

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.0 was 6.5 six months ago when I was almost diagnosed type 2 - trying to avoid diagnosis - lost 2 stone so far, low carb, intense exercise on a theory of clearing out muscle glycogen cupboard space whilst also building more cupboard space, so the extra tins don't 'resist' being put in the cupboard - don't know if this works...

Just joined, my first post. Hello Everyone!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App