HELP!! Weight loss problem!

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I have been on a calorie counting diet since April 2010 when I lost about 30lbs up till Xmas 2010. Going back on my diet in Jan/Feb time 2011 my weight would not shift at all. I put my calories down to 1000 and then 800 for just a few weeks but nothing happened. I have been so disillusioned and now put on a few pounds again. I went to the nutrionist at the hospital who told me not to worry about losing any more weight but being 4'11" and now 14st 9lb I am still grossly overweight!
I CANNOT EXERCISE AS I AM DISABLED SO APART FROM A BIT OF HOUSEWORK I AM VERY SEDENTARY.

Any advice please!.. :?

lindainsomerset

Hi Foxglove,
I know how you are feeling, but if you look at low carb/high fat diet threads on this discussion forum you will see that it is very successful. I am only just starting this diet and am finding it hard getting my head round the fact that I should be eating full fat stuff!! Definitely worth giving it a try. There are lots of experts on here who can help you along the way. Good luck.

Mamalu

Hi Foxglove, I am having exactly the same problem, i have been trying to lose weight since February, not lost a single pound yet. I started with Slimming World, stuck religiously to the rules, but sugar levels went a bit haywire, and more insulin needed, so i expect this is why it didn't work (stuck with it for five weeks), then tried Weight Watchers for four weeks, lost a pound then regained during another four weeks of doing exactly as the instructions. Then looked at low carbing, and have been following this for about three weeks now, and my BS levels have been marvellous, but yet again not one pound lost. I enjoy the low carbing regime, and have 50-60g carbs per day, maybe I need even less? I am very disappointed, would love to lose some weight to bring insulin dose down. I am 55, 5ft 2ins, and weight 10st 4lbs. GP says I should be under 9 stone ideally.

Morning, 16 units levemir, 5 units novotard
Lunch, 5 units novotard
Dinner, 6 units levemir, 6 units novotard

Can't understand why I am finding this so difficult, used to be able to lose weight if I followed a good eating pattern. Anybody any ideas, i would so love to have some magic pill to take. :thumbup:

Defren

My advice is to follow 'Viv's modified Atkins diet'. It is a sticky on the food forum here. Cut the carbs, up the good fats and you will loose weight. I and many others are testament to the fact that it works. Weight-watchers and Slimming world are good, I lost a lot of weight on Slimming world a few years ago, but they are not tailored for diabetes. Atkins is, it is perfect for good BG control and weight loss.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Foxglove
from the point of weightloss, don't worry about exercise. It's been shown time after time that exercise makes very little difference to weight. It's good for fitness though so do try to do as much as you can. there are plenty of seated exercise programmes out there to follow.
you need to get your diet right for YOU. I'm having this trouble myself. Having lost about 3 stone, I've been pretty much stuck for about a year. My instinct tells me low carb should work. it certainly keeps my bg down, but somewhere Ineed to tweak it.
To keep a diet going, I need to make changes gradually. I've got my carbs down pretty low [about 30per day] over a period of time. This might work for you. Hope I've been of some help.
Hana

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Just a pity I didn't get back here before now!!
Fact is I have still been trying different things, in particular WeightWatchers which really hasn't helped at all, so decided lasr week to go on a low carb diet. Had an immediate loss of a couple of pound but will reserve my judgement till at least a week is out as I have had soo many dissapointments over the last two years.
Must add tho' that all of your comments have increased my hopes in this and answered the question of whether it was okay for diabetics.
Thanks very much everyone for your input.

youngmanfrank

Reluctant as I am to cross swords with hanadr I personally believe that exercise goes hand in glove with calorie reduction and low carbing as part of a successful diet.

I completed the Newcastle Diet last year and combined three pieces of exercise per day with the 800 calories of the Newcastle Diet.During the intervening period I have discovered ketosis (by following the excellent discussions on this forum) which as I understand the production of ketones by the body as a result of the metabolising of body fat.Over the last 10 months I have never been in ketosis whenever I tested but have maintained a steady body weight.I ended the diet at 12st,went up to 12st 3lbs over a period of three months after Christmas as I put on leg muscle due to an increased running regime,and then dropped back to 12st over the summer as the last vestiges of fat dropped off.This period when I have been in ketosis is the first time I have really lost weight since completing the diet.

Last week I did a one week Newcastle Diet,straight in on the 800 calory shake/salad cocktail.By day 2 I was in mild ketosis for the first time ever but only after exercise,by day 3 I was waking up in mild ketosis and going purple on the chart after exercise.By the end of the week I had lost 4lbs,however most of that would been stored in the liver and I expect will gradually return as my diet goes back to normal.

My point is this:to lose weight you have to break down fat to fuel your body however the body is programmed to resist this and would rather reduce your metabolic rate of activity and continue storing fat,hence the weight plateau on which you find yourself.Each time you exercise you increase your rate of metabolic activity and use up more calories than your food intake can sustain,so your body has no choice but to start breaking down fat reserves and you lose weight.Eventually once you have reached your ideal weight (my BMI is 21) you can adopt a diet in which calories eaten and calories burnt are in balance and you can remain at your weight.

Why did I do the Newcastle Diet for a week?My fasting bloods have averaged 5.2/5.3 for ages,but suddenly either due to a bit of stress in my personal life or a reduction in my insulin sensitivity were averaging 5.6/5.7.My paranoia kicked in and while I was convinced it was the stress I was not prepared to take the chance.My first FBG after completing my week was 5.1 so I am happy so far,see what I average by the end of the week.

youngmanfrank

PS realise that for a sedentary person the above was not that helpful,but it was directed at the forum in general.In your particular case I have some experience in helping someone in a similar position.My mother in law is a polio victim and registered disabled.As a result she has a weight problem (she is not diabetic) which we have addressed with some success.In her case we have found exercises which she can do sitting down,such as weights,and sit ups,and it appears that you can get some benefit so long as you exercise long enough to raise your heart rate and get out of breath.She is quite happy to tackle anything which does not involve walking or standing and has found a variety of exercises which work for her.

Hope this helps.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
youngmanfrank said:
PS realise that for a sedentary person the above was not that helpful,but it was directed at the forum in general.In your particular case I have some experience in helping someone in a similar position.My mother in law is a polio victim and registered disabled.As a result she has a weight problem (she is not diabetic) which we have addressed with some success.In her case we have found exercises which she can do sitting down,such as weights,and sit ups,and it appears that you can get some benefit so long as you exercise long enough to raise your heart rate and get out of breath.She is quite happy to tackle anything which does not involve walking or standing and has found a variety of exercises which work for her.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the above suggestion but having a very bad back, arms and shoulders, doing ANY sort of exercise is horrendously difficult! Walking with the aid of a stick for just a few yards is about all I can manage and even brushing my hair is very painful.
However, it's not that I haven't tried.. I used a UTube exercise routine for a couple of days which was for elderly disabled folk and ended up having to spend a week in bed..!?!
...but I know you meant well.. :wave:

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am so glad that I changed to a low carb diet!
So far as from the beginning of this year I have lost another stone! :lol:
I am keeping my carbs as low as possible but usually it's between 70-80 per day. I found it very difficult at first as I do like my cuppa with a biscuit in the afternoon but now I have some brazil nuts instead which are even more tastier anyway.
Am now at 13st 7.8lbs .. Yay!!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Excellent Foxglove, very pleased for you, keep up the good work, Deb x :p

Avery123

Dieters and Body weight losing globe are good, i missing a lot of weight on Body weight losing globe a few years ago, but they are not designed for diabetic issues.....

Avery123

Avery123 said:
Dieters and Body weight losing globe are good, i missing a lot of weight on Body weight losing globe a few years ago, but they are not designed for diabetic issues.....

[commercial link removed]