Exercises for losing weight?

Hariparmar

I was wondering if anyone has a successful training programme for losing weight? ie what excercises? Etc.
I have just been told I'm type 2 and finding it abit of a shock to the system.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Re: Excercises for losing weight?

Unfortunately, we're all different so there is no magic answer. The trick with exercise, is to choose something which you enjoy and will stick with. I have no knowledge of your current fitness or background so it's not easy but to start with, walking is pretty good. It's easy, enjoyable and free ! Try to do some form of cardio 3 or 4 times a week. As you progress, you can jog, swim, bike ride or whatever. Some people here enjoy the Wii ? So many choices but so important to do some form of regular exercise. Diabetes can lead to poor circulation, exercise will help.
As for diet, the only solution is the one that most don't like to hear ! Eat less calories than you burn off ! It really is that simple, in theory ! NOT in practice lol ! Good luck and keep us informed !

Hariparmar

Thanks, I've started eating sensibly for 3 weeks now, and just need to lose weight. Also started regular walks but feel I need to turn up the excercise more. I was just wondering if it was worth doing weights as a form of excercise? Or would I be better sticking to the cross trainer and walking?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hariparmar said:
Thanks, I've started eating sensibly for 3 weeks now, and just need to lose weight. Also started regular walks but feel I need to turn up the excercise more. I was just wondering if it was worth doing weights as a form of excercise? Or would I be better sticking to the cross trainer and walking?

I think the cross trainer and walking are probably a better bet for weight loss than moving onto weights. They are good for toning and building muscle.

Possibly try upping the speed of your walking to turn things up. Start at a normal walking speed for 5 minutes then up the pace to a point that you feel warmer and find that talking becomes more of a challenge due to heavier breathing. You can gradually increase the time span of this faster walking. Listen to your body and ask your dr for advice if you haven't been physically active for a while

walterrichmand

Most people overlook the benefit of walking. If you are walking, you are burning calories. You don't need any extra equipment or expensive memberships. Walking can be done anywhere. You can walk around your house, your neighborhood, or your office on your coffee break. Because it is very helpful to losing weight and anyone can do this easy exercise.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

According to my reading on the subject, exercise alone won't make you lose weight unless it's extreme, however, sensible exercise combined with eating less will help, so I suggest you try walking. It's not expensive, All you need is good shoes! when plating your food, make sure it looks less than you really fancy.
Hana

Avery123

Strolling can be done anywhere, you can stroll around your home, your community, or your workplace on your java crack, because it is very employed to reducing body weight and anyone can do this simple work out.....

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Weights wont help much with weightloss, in fact as it builds muscle which is denser than fat it can cause weight gain. I recommend cardio of whatever type you feel comfortable with. Not only will it help lose weight it also helps get rid of excess blood glucose and the effect can last for many hours after the exercise has finished. Also try to reduce your calorie input to a level you can cope with.

The best thing you can do I think is invest in a heart rate monitor to ensure that you are doing whatever exercise you choose in the correct fat burning heart rate range (this depends on a number of factors but mostly your age). The fat burning range for me is between 107 and 140bpm which I can easily sustain for an hour or so once or twice a day. Most of these monitors will give you an indication of how many calories you are burning too.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort

Exercises for losing weight are not necessarily the best for controlling blood sugars.

My understanding is that weight training is acknowledged to be the best exercise for improving the body's insulin response, precisely because it builds muscle which is the stuff that soaks up all those blood sugars floating around our body. Lean muscle mass is what diabetics need.

Long periods (more than 30 mins at a time) of Cardio exercise eg walking and swimming but particularly cycling and running, are best for weight management as they burn off fat which is also good for diabetics. Coupled with sensible diets these exercises can have an important part to play in getting rid of that 'internal fat' which is often blamed as one of the causes of T2 diabetes. These exercises also of course immediately reduce blood sugar and many people do some cardio an hour or so after eating for this purpose.

And of course don't forget High Intesity Training (HIT) which has also been shown to improve insulin resistance.

In short I'd say its important to incorporate both types of exercise into your week. I personally try to do a daily cardio or HIT and 2-3 half hour weights sessions a week.

Reactions: 3 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

I think the consensus is that exercise is not so good for weight loss although it is proven to be very good for your general health and well being.

I am not able to exercise much at all due to arthritis of the lower back which flares up whenever I exercise but have still managed to lose over 5 stone, IMHO I think eating fewer calories works better than exercise for weight loss.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort

One other important point about the benefits of exercise. It improves your general health, particularly blood circulation, which is so important for diabetics faced with serious negative consequences of living long term with the disease.

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Everyone is different but I find that with exercise I feel better and want to eat less. Am also able to do more active things (not sitting in front of the tv) which also gives less inclination to eat. I have an exercise bike pointing at the tv now.
Started off with about 2 mins as all I could manage - after a few weeks can do an hour without problem.

As to BG - I'm pretty sure exercise brings it down for me. My first low ish reading was after a walk in the park and now time on an exercise bike after a meal brings it way down.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Exercise always brings my BG down, if I have to skip more than a couple of days because I am away from home my levels are always increased as a result, but come down again when I start exercising again, in fact I can skip exercise for up to two days with little increase so it seems to help level out the spikes for a few days afterwards. I do both cardio and resistance training so hard to say which is having the most effect.

MarkHerry

Exercise is the most important and useful tool for weight loss. Cardio exercises are best to loss weight. Running,jogging,walking,swimming,cycling and yoga all are good exercises for weight loss.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Exercise has wider benefits than improving heart and lung function or attempting to speed up the metabolism to burn off calories. Physical exercise is of particular benefit to diabetics. Roy Taylor writing in Medscape (Type 2 Diabetes: Etiology and Reversibility) states:

"The role of physical activity must be considered. Increased levels of daily activity bring about decreases in liver fat stores and a single bout of exercise substantially decreases both de novo lipogenesis and plasma VLDL."

Exercise reduces the amount of fat produced from carbs and its deposition in the liver:

748a251b-7620-44fb-a7a7-96fd0feabd9b.jpg

Walking off a meal is more than an attempt to burn off the calories just consumed, it is about how what has just been eaten is metabolised. According to Taylor's twin cycle hypothesis, diabetes starts with a build up of fats in the liver which then interact with the pancreas and a self re-inforcing cycle is created. Even if, whilst dieting, exercise doesn't appear to be helping much with weight loss, it is helping to reduce the amount of fats getting stored in the liver and, subsequently, in the pancreas.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

charon said:
Everyone is different but I find that with exercise I feel better and want to eat less. Am also able to do more active things (not sitting in front of the tv) which also gives less inclination to eat. I have an exercise bike pointing at the tv now.

I have my bike in the shed where I listen to Radio 4.

I too find that I eat less after exercise. I usually have to go lie down and have a nap :) But, metabolically, it's better to nap after exercise than nap after a meal.

I also have a rower and have been watching the bees make a nest under the eaves in my house. There's a lot of them now but they never bother me. I can leave the top lights in the windows open, only a few inches from where they go into their nest, but they never come in. Too busy collecting nectar. I've planted a load of flowers for them to go and pollinate.

Colin5

I read all the posts. Everybody suggest you right thing. However, I want also add here that swimming and running effect dramatically on your body for quick weight loss. You must try it. I am very confident that it's really work.

H

Hooked

Less calories in + More calories going out = Weight loss. Simple! (If only eating less yummy fattening foods was so easy....) :oops:

The top exercise for burning calories is skiing, not quite a practical form of exercise to do on a regular exercise for most people. :wink: In second place is running. The NHS have a Couch to 5k programme on their website and podcasts for it can be found on iTunes. It's a run/walk programme that slowly increases the amount of running and reduces the amount of walking. Well worth trying out and of course nothing is stopping you repeating workouts if you feel the need to do so. All you need is about 40 minutes 3 times a week. I really recommend it.

Of course, like any new exercise regime, check with your Dr before hand.

shayanjameel

.Stand with feet hip-width apart and, for added intensity, hold weights at shoulder level or at your sides.
.Bend the knees, and lower into a squat, keeping the knees behind the toes. Imagine that you're sticking your butt out behind you, but keep the torso upright and contracted.
.Press into the heels to stand up.
.Repeat for 2-3 sets of 8-16 reps

Barryjw

I was a runner but had a serious back problem requiring surgery. I had to completely stop all exercise for over a year and towards the end before surgery I could not walk more than 25 m without stopping with crippling pain. You can imagine what this did, as a 65 year old, to my level of fitness. I was always a sceptic about walking. I can walk now (and hopefully will be able to run again sometime next year!). I am a convert now. I started walking 8 weeks ago. I walk at a reasonable pace for at least an hour every day. My resting pulse rate has come down again to under 60, my blood pressure is much lower than it was. I can walk for over 2 hrs with no problems. I even get the plus in that the walk reduces my blood sugar level and I have lost weight. VIVA walking!