type 2 but having Hypoglycaemia

hi my name is michelle i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during pregnancy with my little boy. which have now developed to type 2 as it didnt go. this was 2 years ago and my blood sugars have come down and doctors are pleased its now within normal range. but theres now one problem. for the past 3 weeks iv been have bouts of Hypoglycaemia. my sugars have dropped to in there 4s and lower and i can feel myself going dizzy etc and im finding them hard get them back up. my diet hasnt changed and my daily routine is still the same its like it has come out of nowhere. i now dont know what to do and have been giving a meter to check my blood levels 3-4 times a day. has anyone else had this problem and what was the outcome? tia x

Geocacher

You may have reactive hypoglycaemia along with T2.

You should ask your doctor to refer you for a prolonged glucose tolerance test. That test will likely show that your blood sugar drops suddenly after remaining high for an extended period of time.

The best way to cope with reactive hypoglycaemia is to have sensible low GI snacks every few hours instead of large meals.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi i am type2 and go to 3.1 most days, it dosent seem to be a problem, ive asked advice several times and people dont seem to think its a problem as im only on metformin, this isnt advice :) im just saying the advice i have been given was to not worry, although i dont get any symptons like you do.

Geocacher

Meters vary and people vary, the rate your blood sugar goes down can also affect whether or not you have hypo symptoms. A fast drop is more likely to cause a hypo than a slow drop. Age is also a factor, a young person with reactive hypoglycaemia is less likely to have hypo symptoms than someone who is middle age.

I've had reactive hypoglycaemia since my early 20's but didn't have serious problems with hypos until I was 30. Ironically, the treatment offered was metformin which tempers the highs and in doing so prevents the reaction that causes the hypos. With reactive hypoglycaemia, if you can keep your blood sugar levels fairly even by eating small amounts at regular intervals then you don't get the hypos. The alternative is just dealing with the hypos, but that's like chasing a dragon -- sometime you can just about keep up, sometimes you get burned.

It took a long time before my GP believed me, I ended up having a hypo at the surgery before they referred me for a GTT. Log your meter readings and symptoms, that is the only proof you have that you are having hypos. Use that when you ask for a prolonged Glucose Tolerance Test.

thank you both. i was put on metformin but i have now been told to stop taking it due to my sugars dropping so it wasnt doing its job. just really confused as to why its happening. they are arranging another blood test so hopefully will have answers soon x