Share Your Progress!

BigStevie1973

I was diagnosed on 8th March 2013 with an HbA1c reading of 97 and cholesterol of 5.5. After two months on 500mg Metformin twice daily, improved diet and increased exercise, I have the HbA1c down to 60 and cholesterol down to 3.8. Since my last blood test on 7th May, I have given up the booze and joined the gym; I am going for about 75 mins a day, 6 days a week. The weight is not coming off as quickly as I had hoped; I am currently averaging only about 1.4 lbs per week but at least it's going in the right direction!! :D

Amansco

I have been Type 2 Insulin Dependent Diabetic for around 15 years or longer which has always been difficult to control. Blood sugars were always in the upper 20's sometimes in the 30's. I have been let down by Consultants who basically told me that there was nothing they can do for me - I left in tears. The Diabetic Care Team did nothing except instruct me to keep increasing my insulin. I have felt so unwell for such a long time and I decided to do something about it as I really felt like I was in God's Waiting Room - that's how bad I felt. I decided I had nothing to lose but to write to a Consultant who was recommended to me by one of his patients. I don't live in the area where he works but I was prepared to travel to see this guy. 2 days after my email, I received an email back from him and he said that if I could get a letter of referral from my GP, he would be more than happy to take me on as his patient. I was delighted and I received an appointment through quite quickly. He was concerned about the high levels of insulin I was taking. My hbA1c was 11.9 - the highest it has ever been. He told me about a diet that had been researched at Newcastle University especially for Type 2 Diabetics. As soon as I started on the diet, I was able to half the amount of insulin I had been taking right away. Don't get me wrong the diet isn't easy but you only stay on it for 8 weeks. Basically it is an 800 calorie diet - you are not allowed meat, fish or poultry, no dairy products, no fruit, no alcohol. You only drink water or sugar free drinks in my case Diet Lemonade or Soda Water. What I eat is salads, vegetables, stir-frys, soup (home made carrot soup) and I use meal replacement bars and shakes(In my case Slimfast). I have IBS so can't tolerate a lot of veggies and so I have some very low fat crackers with low fat cheese. I also have either a small tin of salmon or tuna with my salad to bulk it out a bit along with fat free salad dressing for a bit of flavour. For the first time in over 15 years, my blood sugars are within the normal range. I am losing weight (not sure how much as I don't have scales) but I feel so much better within myself and the horrible, constant thirst has now gone. What a difference this has made to me. Although technically the diet should finish in a couple of weeks, I plan to stick with it although I will add more to my diet. It is so worth it just to get my blood sugars down. One other major incentive is that I found out from the blood tests I had done when I was at the hospital that my kidneys are at Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease and so that alone is a reason for me to keep working at this. It has been hard especially experiencing the hypos - had forgotten what they were like. Because my blood sugars have been so high, for so long I was taking hypos at 5 but that has settled now that my body has got used to the lower blood sugars. If anybody wants any further information, don't hesitate to let me know. In all the years I have been diabetic, I was never told to count carbs or watch my carb intake - I feel quite bitter that for all those years my level of diabetic care was practically 0. I have a lot of other health problems which probably haven't helped but I believe if I had received proper care, my kidneys wouldn't be in the state they are now. If you are in a similar situation as me, don't sit back and watch your health diminish like I did, be pro-active and get the care you deserve. xx

Blood sugar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Amansco

I am so glad to hear you are feeling better now you are on the Newcastle Diet. It is also surprising that you have found a doctor who is interested in supporting you on the Newcastle diet. My GL or dn has not heard and at not in the least bit interested. I have not done the Newcastle as I am working long hours and it would be more difficult to work it in so I am using a 50g carb LCD.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on. If your diabetes can improve after all these years, it shows there is hope for all!

BS

susanmanley

since diagnoses in may 2012 have been doing really well and keeping levels down with diet only. That is until a couple of weeks ago when I just started eating anything I wanted and binging a bit with rubbish. Sugar levels high and didn't care.
Think I am on top of it a bit agin.
Do others have the 'why should I' blip? Didn't know I was so weak

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Susan hi, yes me too! I thought I was the only one. I think you'll find it ' mood' related in some way. Have a bit of a word with yourself, how are you? How you feeling about yourself? Are you stressed?

Glad I found someone who's the same, I have these binges then (no question it's self-punishment) I stop eating for a few days. If you find a way to beat it, please let me know.

With kind regards,

Q..

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Maitland

I spent the last two weeks eating and drinking pretty much what I wanted with the expected result, high blood sugars. Fortunately I didn't put any weight on.

I had only been low carbing for just over a month but had just had enough of being so careful with what I was eating and drinking. Didn't help that a friend I hadn't seen for many years came to visit for a wee while and that gave me an excuse that I was probably looking for.

Fasting levels were back up to where I was on diagnosis and it was that that focused my mind once again. On Monday I got back on the wagon. Back to losing weight again with another 8 pounds left to go to get to my target weight. Fasting levels were down to 6.2 this morning so thankfully I am back on track.

I suspect I will lose my focus again at some point but I expect that and will try to keep it to a minimum.

M...

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I was diagnosed T1 just over three weeks ago with BG around 26 and ketones >2. That earned me a very frustrating night in Addenbrookes and a big package of needles, testing kit etc on leaving.

I'm taking Levemir as basal and Novorapid bolus still on low doses overall with Levemir split 10 at night, 6 in the morning and fixed Novorapid doses of 3,3,3.

So far my levels have stabilised very well and I've had two days in the last week with all my readings in the green zone of 4-8, and a few more days with only one screwy reading. It's a bit more complicated in my case as I've been running and cycling as well, and I'm still trying to work out how those affect me.

I've got a great support team at Addenbrookes as well, all really positive and trying to help me be in control of my life rather than the diabetes being in charge, couldn't have a better team I think.

I'm looking forward to getting on the DAFNE course and hopefully getting onto a pump shortly after, but really want to be able to self adjust my dose in response to carbs before that, so at the moment I'm collecting all the data I can.

Feeling pretty positive overall

Dave

Maitland

Yesterday I went out to buy myself some new clothes, not much, just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. Prior to diagnosis I would comfortably fit into a 36 inch waist and a large (or extra large to hide my stomach) t-shirt.

Yesterday I was very pleased to buy a 32 inch waist pair of jeans and a medium t-shirt. Both fit reasonably comfortably but with another 6 pounds to go I know I am on the way there.

Downside is a week away but I shall try my best to eat healthily and try not to cause too much damage and ruin the good work I have already managed.

Without this forum I can safely say that I wouldn't be in this position. So thank you !!!

M...

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Currently on a weight loss plateau so no progress with the weight loss despite sticking with the low carb diet and restricting to 1200 net cals per day, stuck at 196lbs and have been for nearly 4 weeks having lost 19lbs in the previous 6 weeks. Still doing lots of exercise daily and being careful to keep the heartrate in the correct zone for fat burning. Have lost a few inches off my waist and can get into my old 36inch waist jeans which is something at least. Blood glucose average by the meter is up from 5.7 to 6.3, but i think that may be down to the hay fever which has been making me miserable for the last couple of weeks.

Feeling rather frustrated really. Will be getting my hba1c done next tuesday and reckon the doctor will probably up the metformin dose. The only really good thing is my retinopathy scan came back clear. Starting the Xpert course week after next so thats going to be interesting, I wonder if they are going to give me any grief over my low carb intake?

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
I have lost 2lbs in 12 days.

Not a lot I know. 4 stone 12 lbs to go !!

Wahahahahay !!!!!!!

Summermum

Have just been to the diabetes police. HbA1c same at 35 :) but weight up 6kg, feet getting worse and BP up so sent to make a ppt with GP. Fed up. Lost 3 stone low carbing 2 years ago, last 6 months cheating more, exercising less. Demotivated.

BigStevie1973

@Summermum: I wouldn't panic too much just yet; 35 is smack in the middle of the normal range, so that's good. And as for the 6Kg gain, I'm assuming that you were weighed in the surgery / clinic as it is in metric but I'm convinced those scales are always a bit off and I always tell myself that my keys and clothes etc. weigh a lot!! :lol: That said, no matter what way you look at it, you're still at least two stone lighter than you were, so keep positive but maybe time to start increasing the exercise a wee bit!! :wink:

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
My progress since diagnosis in July has been slow but steady. I have lost 7.7 kilos, and have a month Blood glucose average of 6.3 and my app estimates my HbA1c at 5.6, which is around 48? (according to the On Track android app) although I have no idea how accurate this app is. My nextHbA1c is due mid October so still a few weeks to work on this.

I am really feeling good nowerdays not bloated and constantly tired like I used to.

Mark

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to be doing OK thanks to the god advice and info on this forum. Since diagnosis in march 2013 I have lowered my HbA1c from 64 to 46, lost 25lb in weight and feel pretty good on the whole.

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Hello folks

My HbA1c has been booked for 16th October which will be the 3 month anniversary of my diagnosis. I weighed 186 lbs back then and was in terrible shape. Lowering my in the first month, I am now on a low-ish carb diet (50g per day) and as of today I weigh 163.8 lbs which means I have lost 22 lbs or 10 kilos with a bmi of 29. My goal is a BMI of under 25.

For the last few months my blood sugars have stayed within safe limits and I am feeling good and less hungry :p. The strange thing is that I am now finding foods that used to spike my bloods into double figures don't necessarily do so now although I still avoid these foods. Sticking to the diet is hard work and frustrating at times but I see my progress so far and it encourages me. Also the fact that I now fit into a size smaller jeans helps too :p

I know its early days and that the weight loss will slow down or maybe even stop for a while, but when that happens I will look for a solution. I guess I should mention exercise. I am not able to get out and exercise due to looking after a disabled family member, however I am constantly on the go in my duties as full time carer so I guess that is where I get my exercise.

Last thing for now, I could not have achieved so much without the help of these kind and patient people here on diabetes.co.uk. I asked questions that must have been asked a thousand times before but were patiently answered. I was in a haze when I was first diagnosed and the search function didn't even enter my mind :). Through this site I have learned that it wont always be plain sailing and that dieting can be hard and tedious at times but we have no alternative if we want to stay in control.

Thanks folks.

Mark

Edited to say: Sorry for the essay :p

Pez68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant people
zaphod37 said:
Hello folks

My HbA1c has been booked for 16th October which will be the 3 month anniversary of my diagnosis. I weighed 186 lbs back then and was in terrible shape. Lowering my in the first month, I am now on a low-ish carb diet (50g per day) and as of today I weigh 163.8 lbs which means I have lost 22 lbs or 10 kilos with a bmi of 29. My goal is a BMI of under 25.

For the last few months my blood sugars have stayed within safe limits and I am feeling good and less hungry :p. The strange thing is that I am now finding foods that used to spike my bloods into double figures don't necessarily do so now although I still avoid these foods. Sticking to the diet is hard work and frustrating at times but I see my progress so far and it encourages me. Also the fact that I now fit into a size smaller jeans helps too :p

I know its early days and that the weight loss will slow down or maybe even stop for a while, but when that happens I will look for a solution. I guess I should mention exercise. I am not able to get out and exercise due to looking after a disabled family member, however I am constantly on the go in my duties as full time carer so I guess that is where I get my exercise.

Last thing for now, I could not have achieved so much without the help of these kind and patient people here on diabetes.co.uk. I asked questions that must have been asked a thousand times before but were patiently answered. I was in a haze when I was first diagnosed and the search function didn't even enter my mind :). Through this site I have learned that it wont always be plain sailing and that dieting can be hard and tedious at times but we have no alternative if we want to stay in control.

Thanks folks.

Mark

Edited to say: Sorry for the essay :p

Excellent stuff, I'm following the same approach and looking at my first review In 2 weeks time as well. Well done[SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH]

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
Good luck Pez I hope you make good progress :)

Mark

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
zaphod37 said:
The strange thing is that I am now finding foods that used to spike my bloods into double figures don't necessarily do so now although I still avoid these foods.

It would appear that you are regaining some Insulin sensitivity back following the weight loss.

pr126

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Diagnosed Type 2 in June this year, with BG level 16 mmol /L

Average for last 30 day - before meals 7 mmol /L, after meals 6.5 mmol /L (according to my SD Codefree)

Also lost 2 stone, and now only 6 lbs over the BMI normal weight.

I think I have done well. :thumbup: