New To Insulin Pumps

JoB90

Dislikes
Needles & Being Type 1 Diabetic & Being Partially Blind
Iv been type 1 diabetic for 4 years & iv alway been on insulin injections which mostly my blood sugar have been high & my HBA1C is always around 10-14. I dont eat at set times i tend to graze throughout the day so i have to inject multiple times. My dsn said that i would benefit from the pump but other than that i have no other information on it, iv looked online but nothing is really explaining it to me clearly.
Can anybody help me please.

Switch2501

Hello fellow grazer!

I was in a similar position.
Last year(ish) i went on a carb counting course called I.C.E which is pretty much like DAFNE.
At the time they were all really keen for us going on to a pump but i thought that i'd stick it out on pens.

Spent a year on the pens, carb counting but grazing made it tricky so i bit the bullet and went for a pump.
So my Hba1c liked to hang about the 9.1-9.4 range. After a short time on the pump that dropped to 8.4 and most recently 7.9.

Essentially the biggest benefit for me on the pump is that I can eat what I want, when I want and not have to inject.
Still have to take the insulin for what i'm eating but i only have to change the set (cannula) once every three days.

Now I go back to the hospital when they run the I.C.E course and talk to all the prospective pump patients :D

Is there anything spesific you want to know? I'd be happy to just type on about a pump but i could do with some direction :D

JoB90

Dislikes
Hi,
I would just like some information on how the pump feels to carry round and is there any complications you have ever with the pump? iv had this feeling that when i get the pump ill get the tubing caught of something and the cannula will come out. Is it my normal insulin that will go into it? If I was going to for a night out will i be able to take my pump off and switch to injections or will i just have to stick to one or another?
I was at my diabetic clinic today & they said ill have an appointment in the next few weeks to go and see all if the pump they offer and decide which one is for me. Other than the appointment for me to see them iv had no other advice or guidance to what i should do or what id like to know about the pump. Iv had the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert blood machine for a while now which links up to one of the pumps. I am quite nervous for the change to happen as iv always been on injections.
Thanks for the advice :)

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya Jo,

I wish I'd found this site / app before going on a pump, as I would've asked similar questions as you have.

I had the same meter as you and so decided to have the pump that went with it.

When first on it, it's natural to be cautious about it, but its very robust and mine has unclipped from my waistband a couple of times and it was fine. No disconnection from cannula and it doesn't hurt.

Me and my other half were concerned we wouldn't be able to play fight / rough and tumble / tickle fight anymore, but the pump has made no difference.

With regards to going out, I'm still a little self conscious depending on what I'm wearing, but for me, I'm thinking it's mind over matter - the pros of the pump far outweigh the cons. The only thing that REALLY annoys me is when I want to wear both fitted trousers AND fitted top together as there is a definite silhouette of the pump under the clothes and lack of anywhere to hide it.

Don't be put off by what I've said though. There are ways around things and like I mentioned - more pros than cons. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

JoB90

Dislikes
Hi,
Thanks for the advice, I am definately considering going on to the pump now as my weight is up and down same with my moods, the doctors said the pump will even these out, when you started using the pump did you notice any change in these and is the canula held down with a plaster or is it just left inserted in the site?
Your advice was really helpfull to me thankyou :smile:

Fallen_skydive_angel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Within 2 days of being on the pump I felt soooo much better! And my other half has commented on how much more stable my mood has been. You're likely to get disheartened at times in the early days until all your fastings are done and basal rates just right (I'm still at that point - was put on pump on 18/3/13), but generally things are much better.

The cannula is stuck in place with sticky tape stuff which is attached to the cannula.

Hope I've been of some help. Feel free to message if you have any more queries. Can't guarantee I'll always have the answer, but will try :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App