Good fats

misterdj

Does anyone have good suggestions for high fat tasty snacks or food? I'm on a low carb high fat diet. T2 no medication. I have lost 2 stone in 3 months. Now at target weight so i need to up the calories with fat and not carbs.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

lynde89

I have babybels in the fridge at work for when I get peckish, they seem to work well. I love cheese so that's an easy snack for me!

I was also eating hummus not too long ago, with celery sticks or cucumber. Could even spread it in some slices of meat & wrap it around some cheese as a bit more of a snack?

Reactions: 2 people

andytur

Mashed avocado with salt, pepper and apple cider vinegar - in the skin if you like. Apple cider lowers blood glucose.

Walnuts (or almonds, but less - higher carbs) - 15-20 halves.

60g flaxseed (1g of 'real' carb) with onken 200ml low fat yogurt, 1g cinnamon and 5-8 blueberries / or walnuts bits. Everything lowers blood sugar.

A mouthful of coconut oil (if you like the taste).

50g cheese with capful of apple cider vinegar.

Not fatty but: 200ml sainsbury's unsweetened soya milk with 20-30g of whey protein. Whey reduced blood sugar and also slow feeds energy via the protein. Could always blend some avo or coconut oil in i spose.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh yes, I love a good snack!

Cheese, pepperami, nuts (Morrison's chilli nuts are the best - so addictive and only 6.7g carbs per 100g), coleslaw, cottage cheese, pork scratchings, cold meats, olives, gerkins, in fact antipesto in general.

Geocacher

Chicken skin -- season it with salt and pepper, or poultry seasoning and lay it on a rack in a roasting try and bake until crisp. Excellent treat and better in my opinion than crisps.

If you have a Polish deli nearby, venture in and explore the wonderful world of sausages, and smoked and cured meats. So much tastier than the British versions and the tend not to have as much rusk or filler in them. Krakowska and sopocka are two of my favourites, but there are so many.

Broccoli or cauliflower cheese soup -- easy to make low carb and so good. Beer cheese soup is also nice, but it's more of an American thing.

Parmesan crisps are also easy to make and a nice crunchy addition to a ceasar salad in place of croutons. Just pile grated parmesan onto a nonstick baking tray or onto greaseproof paper in by the tablespoon and bake in a hot oven until lightly browned, they'll crisp as they cool.

Gelatin sheets softened in water and added to warmed double cream with a capful of vanilla extract, or cinnamon, or with grated lemon or orange peel, or almond extract, and sweetened with your choice of fake sugar and set in the fridge like jelly makes a nice low carb panna cotta.

Prawns baked with butter and your favourite seasonings -- I like parmesan, chili powder, and garlic but you could use lemon and dill, or italian seasoning, or paprika, or just salt and pepper.

Buffalo wings -- marinate chicken wings in a little olive oil seasoned with paprika, salt, pepper, a squeeze of lime juice and as much tobasco sauce as you dare. Bake until crisp and cooked through and dip in cool sour cream to eat them.

Beef and broccoli stirfry -- stirfry beef strips quickly in peanut oil, remove into a bowl and add a couple teaspoons each of dark and light soy sauce, and either a chopped or crushed clove of garlic or a sprinkle of dried garlic and leave to rest. In the same wok steam the broccoli until almost tender then add the beef and sauce and heat through. Also good with spinach or pak choy. You can also add cashews for texture.

Eggs -- so many wonderful things you can do with eggs, meat, cheese, and veg -- where would I even begin?

It's so easy to get stuck into eating the same old things but there really are a lot of interesting low carb meals you can make.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
celery sticks with cream cheese. Delicious if made as a dip wih herbs and garlic. keeps the vampires away too :lol: berries and cream?
Homemade fruit icecream. sweeten with xylitol if necessary
Hana

lynde89

Geocacher,

I was planning on doing chicken wings tonight using a store brought seasoning, but I think I might give your seasoning a go! Sounds good & pretty straight forward. Will be leaving out too much hot sauce & I know Hubby will dip the wings in a gallon of it anyway!! Will also have the celery & blue cheese dip on the side :).

I will also have to look up a recipe for beer cheese soup, I do love broccoli/cauliflower & cheese soup but hubby hates them veggies so this sounds like a great alternative!!