Exceptionally tired since starting insulin

meercat

I was diagnosed about 3 months ago following a HB1 level of 120 and instantly started on Lantus. (Since then metformin)
Since then my energy levels have been exceptionally low, although my levels have now reduced to 48, I have no energy, I fall asleep during the day, have headaches and bruise easily, I have probably 20 bruises at any one time.
My dr, although he has been good and we get assigned a diabetic nurse in NZ and I have seen an endocrinologist, they just say the lack of energy is either because my levels were so high for so long and the body is adjusting to the lower levels (but levels have now been relatively sensible for 2 months now) or that I am depressed about having diabetes. I am not depressed about the diagnosis as is solves many issues i have had for over 3 years now and offered some relief that it was not just in my mind. I am depressed about the lack of energy as I thought insulin would increase my energy levels not decrease them
I feel so bad about the lack of energy I am tempted to stop the insulin as before I was actually losing weight, now putting it on and I feel so much worse than before.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It might be worth further reducing the carbs in your diet as the weight gain might imply that you still have some insulin resistance which is best got rid of. Reduced carbs should mean you can reduce the insulin, where agreed with the nurse, which should help to some extent particularly with weight gain but I must admit I'm guessing!

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Meercat,

Sorry to hear about your tiredness. If you can link it back to starting the insulin, then perhaps the Lantus doesn't suit you?

Like any other drug, Lantus will suit some people, but not all. Could you suggest to your Dr and nurse switching to another type of insulin?

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

When i was moved over to 4 injections a day from 2 a day about 7 years ago i was given lantus and i put on 1 stone in weight, i told my diabetes nurse at the time and she changed me over onto levemir but obviously i had to diet to loose that extra stone i gained, but i found that i do not have any problems with weight gain with levemir insulin. As for your tiredness could be high sugar levels or even low sugar levels do you test your blood when you start to feel tired. I know i become very tired if my sugar levels are high but also when they are low. Also i feel that if you eat alot of carbs in a meal i.e POTATOES especially a roast dinner i feel tired after that sometimes but i think that maybe to do with the full up feeling as your body is having to work hard to digest it.

tracey167

meercat

I don't think it is carb content in my diet, I always knew I was at risk of diabetes for many years so have always followed a lowish carb diet. A couple of bad habits had crept in (OH likes have sweets in the car when we go on long journeys, and I like pastry a lot and drank a lot of fresh orange juice), however they have been cut out almost completely. Also my appetite is next to zero as an example, I went out for a meal, I managed half the starter and couldn't even bring myself to touch the main, I just sat and looked at it.

I have just spoken to the diabetic nurse today (had an episode). One thing I asked was my last potassium test which was low and that was in April. my suspicion based on previous experience is that my potassium levels are now exceptionally low, if that is the case a few minutes of googling tell me that insulin and metformin effect potassium levels, which might explain how I feel.

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Hi mercat ,I have been on lantus as well since 2005 ,I also feel the same as you always about 2 30 pm to 5 pm i can just fall asleep just like that and its only been since i have been on lantus and metformin ,I also am on novorapid insulin and a new drug which is called liraglutide its a great drug ,I don't know if nz has it or not ,but do ask its great .I am in the uk now i am from nz but have not lived their in years .
I am thinking of trying to go of lantus as well i might talk to my Dr this is a great forum .Good luck mate feel free to pm me if you wont ,its novoguy

meercat

thanks.
I have since found out that possibly part of the problem is magnesium deficiency. .6 (normal range is above .7) despite taking supplements I am still only .62 I know that both insulin and metformin can effect magnesium levels which in turn can make you tired.
I am not sure what to do about it. tbh I flet a lot better before taking insulin than I do now.

Agnnessa

Hi meercat,

I've been diagnosed less than 2 months ago and initially was put on lantus. Felt worse that going into hospital with DKA.. Had a follow up meeting with diabetes doctor couple of weeks ago and was put on levemir. Since then, I feel much better now, full of energy and definitely better control of BG.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hello123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
start counting carbs and test blood sugar frequently to know your trends. Try to keep it in range

meercat

hello123 said:
start counting carbs and test blood sugar frequently to know your trends. Try to keep it in range
BG levels are now completely in range in fact one nurse wants me to reduce the insulin as she thinks it is too well controlled. Carbohydrates have been drastically reduced even though they were never high prior to diagnosis. So it cannot be that.

violet6763

I was the same when I was put on insulin. I was misdiagnosed type two, but blood sugar was over twenty five for weeks. I was shattered when my blood dropped to normal levels. It's only six months later I can honestly say I feel better x

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
Hi.

Into body disagrees with lantus. It gave me miagrains and made me sleepy. I also became very irritable (though that could have been the tiredness). I was changed to Levimer and I haven't had any problems.

nigelho

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi mercat,
I've been suffering with tiredness/exhaustion for nearly 4 years. I was diagnosed with diabetes just after I turned 60 after being in hospital for a duodunum ulcer and had lost a lot of blood. I was put onto novorapid and levemir after a few months and soon afterwards I became very tired/fatigued/exhausted/heavy headed. I was then put on lantus and after 2 good months the tiredness returned 'in spades'. By this time I'd reduced my hours at work and to date I'm really struggling. I've been on porcine for about 1 year but these past 3-4 months the tiredness has returned. When I started porcine all the tiredness etc went away although but HBA1c has gone up to 8.9%. I've been getting up about 3-4 times a night for a pee..I've been on indapamide tablets for high blood pressure but the nature of these water tablets haven't helped with my weeing. I usually get up very tired. That's me in a nutshell so are you still on lantus??? and what other medication are you on as it could have a bearing on your tiredness...Good luck.