What's the best way to bring insulin when traveling?

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
I'm having some trouble bringing my insulin every time I go camping/backpacking. I put it in a tight container with ice, but after a day, it gets warm. :(

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
I use a large Frio Cooling back when I go camping, they have them on Amazon quite cheap in comparison to other sites. It works by activating crystals with cold water. My pack stays cold with the insulin in it for the whole weekend (3-4 days)

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Unkind people, bad odor, diabetes mellitus (hehe), injecting insulin, douche bags
Thanks for the replies. Such a big help. :)

LaughingHyena

I use a frio pack too, I find it works really well. You do have to make a point of checking it each day though, in hot weather they can dry out quite quickly.

The other thing to remember is that as thye work by the water evaporating from the crystals you need to keep them somewhere which that can happen, so not inside a cool box or anything.

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
Yep the firo bags are excellent. Try and keep them in the shade with a breeze over it which helps the water evaporate and they'll stay quite cool.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I want a weekend like faith has...3-4 days! Wow :) I only get saturdays and sundays off, apart from easter or bank hols ;)

Mart. :)

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
I can't find thr frio pack you guys are talking about :( I'll keep looking though. I hope to find it soon! :)

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/cooling-insulin ... llet+large

This is the one I bought from amazon. It's brilliant. We're off to Alton Towers for the weekend ijn 2 weeks so I'm going to use it again then.

Haha Mart, it was camping from the Friday night after work right through to getting home late on Sunday, then back to work on the Monday morning. Good fun but I don't think I could do it all the time :lol: The pack stayed cold until the Tuesday though

de130770

insulin is safe out of the frige for up to 30 days try to keep it cold ie putting it in cold water but you can not let it get frost bitten keep it away from ice

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Thanks, Faith* but they don't deliver to Asia :(

Faith*

Dislikes
alex_dgarcia said:
Thanks, Faith* but they don't deliver to Asia :(

Oh no, sorry I didn't realise lol

Biker Jimbo

I use a small metal vacuum flask when I am hiking. This does work it keeps what is inside cool and also protected from knocks which might damage the insulin pens. No messing about with wetting the gel of frio bags or worrying about keeping them damp. Just my suggestion. Jim

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
Biker Jimbo said:
I use a small metal vacuum flask when I am hiking. This does work it keeps what is inside cool and also protected from knocks which might damage the insulin pens. No messing about with wetting the gel of frio bags or worrying about keeping them damp. Just my suggestion. Jim

Thanks, Jim. This one's really helpful. :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi All .

I have just returned from a lovely holiday in france/belgium .
Used a large frio wallet for my pens/insulin cartridges [eyedrops too] .
It worked 'perfectly' kept them all really cool and the frio wallet remained damp very well also :thumbup:

You can buy these VAT free - as a Diabetic too .

There is a company that will post these out .
Will 'dig out the info' and pop back with it for alex ...

Anna.

karen9975

i travelled to turkey last week ,was my first time away being type one,i was so worried about traveling with med but i couldnt find a suitable case that looked pretty ,they were all plaine and so not me,so my friend came up with the idea of using an insulated bottle bag and gel packs,im happy to report i found the perfect bottle bag and my insulin stayed perfectly in temp during my flight out and back home,the company i used to buy the bottle bag have asked me to write a review for them as its the first time one of their products has been used in this way

alex_dgarcia

Dislikes
anna29 said:
Hi All .

It worked 'perfectly' kept them all really cool and the frio wallet remained damp very well also :thumbup:

Here you go its - 0800 731 6959 .(Monday to Friday 8.30am till 5.30pm)
Or http://www.medicalshop.co.uk

They have a great range of travel products plus allow you to buy VAT free as a diabetic too :thumbup:
They are a service provided by Owen Mumford Ltd .

Anna.

Thanks, Anna! :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
alex_dgarcia said:
anna29 said:
Hi All .

Here you go its - 0800 731 6959 .(Monday to Friday 8.30am till 5.30pm)
Or http://www.medicalshop.co.uk

They have a great range of travel products plus allow you to buy VAT free as a diabetic too :thumbup:
They are a service provided by Owen Mumford Ltd .

Anna.

Thanks, Anna! :)

alex dgarcia - Have dug out details for you to obtain a Frio Wallet .
Edited them in above for you .

Anna .