Need to lose 80kg, starting tomorrow!

mrsgreensmith

hale710 said:
mrsgreensmith said:
Disaster struck yesterday, I woke in the middle of the night with huge tonsils, so huge I am unable to eat anything solid at the moment, so I'm stuck to soup and frozen lollipops which certainly are not low carb!

On the positive side I have lost 2.6kgs and that's in just 5 days!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

This I can sympathise with! Mine are so large in the first place that they cover about half my throat. In getting them removed in July (about 20 years Late!)

I go for sugar free jelly, still has some carb but not much. It's gentle on the throat. I prefer to avoid soup as I like cold things on my throat.

Try freezing ice cube trays with weak diluting juice - almost no carb so better than frozen Lollys!

If there is infection watch you BG closely and be aware of ketones. Lots of fluids. You may need to up your insulin slightly as your BG could rise.

Dont worry about the diet while you're ill, concentrate on getting better and go back to the diet afterwards. I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the sympathy.. Feeling very sorry for myself. I also have enlarged tonsils even without them being infected, suffered at least once a month with tonsillitis when I was a kid but seemed to grow out of it. They have tried to persuade me to have them out but I'm a wimp and always refuse.

The 2.6kg loss has spurred me on though and to be honest the soup didn't really help as they made my tonsils feel worse and didn't even nearly fill me just made me more hungry. Think I might make up some sugar free jelly, I have some in the cupboard and I've got some double cream too which should help.

I've got a challenging weekend because its my mums birthday tonight and she wants to go out for a curry, plus the whole family is out for Father's Day for a meal at a pub, any low carb meal suggestions? For the pub meal I was thinking all day breakfast and tell them to hold the chips, this is presuming I can eat by then! Have no clue what would be low carb, if anything from the Indian restaurant.

Cass x

jahmoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Horrible People
Good luck with the weight loss, myself is in a pickle and its not easy going.

Pub food is not good for you full stop, processed and the way it's cooked does not help, so go for something healthy looking, all breakfast is too fatty! Indian food is just as bad, the sauce is full of sugars, so something dry, I would ask if they fancied, Thai food, as some things on can be ok. It's difficult when eating out.

The best food is freshly prepared food.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In afraid you've strayed out of my comfort zone with that, I don't eat Indians at all (can't stand the flavours!) and I don't low carb except for snacks between meals. All day breakfast could be good, watch for the sugar in the beans though and obviously it's all friend which isn't ideal. Perhaps there will be some form of salad on the menu?

Lots of cold fluid right now is best. Hot just aggravates! I'm trying to find a sugar free throat sweet that doesn't taste gross but I've failed so far

I have had to BEG for my tonsils out. Every time I'm stressed my tonsils swell, if I'm having a bad day they swell, if I get a cold they swell! It's useless. They've only agreed since my T1 diagnosis as constant illness will cause havoc with my BG. If I haven't grown out of it at 23 I doubt I'm ever going to!

Type2_2000

Hi. Sorry to hear you're feeling poorly. I've had to deal with a Indian Restaurant food and I went for a Tandoori Chicken Tikka (the grilled/baked stuff not in sauce) and a nice big salad. Also be careful of the chutneys and side sauces as they can be loaded with sugar.

antmos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with Type2_2000. I usually have a curry I like, such as Chicken Tikka, without any rice or sides and ask for a side salad to have with it. Beware of added sugars and fruits in the curry. As to the pub, I find a lot of pubs these days have a salad on the menu. Go for that. Or something like a steak with a salad on the side. There are almost always some form of lower carb choices. If you get a chance but a book by Dr Bernstein. He explains all about low carb and the effects of carbs on diabetics. He is a bit stricter than Atkins though so you may want to stick with that for the moment :lolno:

You are doing really well! Keep it up and keep us all posted.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
For a curry (of which I am a big fan) I now limit myself to Sag Paneer "spinach and cheese". It means I can still join people for the meal but I don't blow the carb budget - and I love spinach. :D

Finzi

Cass - for the Indian, anything that is tikka or tandoori (ie cooked in the grill, dry - not chicken tikka masala) is absolutely fine - more or less zero carb. I love sizzling tandoori king prawns, with chicken tikka as a starter. Some people swear by daal (lentils) but unfortunately I find they tend to spike me. The things you must avoid are rice and naan/chapatti. I do treat myself to one popadum, they've got about 7g carb (depends on size). Definitely no mango chutney and no Indian sweets.

In the pub, I would agree the all day breakfast might be a good choice but remember that baked beans are very high carb. An alternative might be steak and salad, or a burger and salad avoiding the bun.

For your throat, I would use sugar free squash and water frozen in ice cubes or lolly moulds. Or try freezing full fat Greek yoghurt. And sugar free jelly and cream is a great idea. Just drink , drink and drink.

Well done on your weight loss so far - that's brilliant!

Type 2 on Metformin, diagnosed Jan 2013, ultra low carber, Hba1C at diagnosis 8% (11mmol), now between 4.5 and 5.5 mmol. 20kg lost so far :)

Buckley1

I too have just joined this forum. I'm dying to know how you got on with your meals out at the weekend as this is my favourite pass time i.e eating out. I have just started the Newcastle Diet (have you had a look at this). I have read lots of good posts on the forum about this research by Newcastle University so am giving it my best shot. One week on and have lost 6lb (sorry I am old school and don't do KG's) the most I have ever lost in one week. I am planning to stick with it for the next 8 weeks as I have 2 1/2 stone to lose. Some of the research says you can reverse your diabetes ... how good would that be! We shall see My blood readings are well down in just one week so I live in hope. Being diagnosed with Diabetes which doesn't run in my family was a big shock (but not quite as big as the heart attack I had 2 years earlier). I bought a treadmill and started walking regularly. This unfortunately has not made any difference to the weight I have put on since the birth of my son 10 years ago nor to the diabetes developing, hence it must be down to my diet. Like you, this time last week I was soooo excited and enthusiastic at starting on the Newcastle Diet and am delighted with the results so far. Still - "one swallow doesn't make a summer" and one week doesn't make a diet! So on to week 2 (only 6 to go) - I wish you the best of luck and look forward to hearing how you are getting on diet buddy! :D

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Cass,

I would suggest that you get on the DAFNE course quick as, it sounds to me like your doing too much insulin. Did you know insulin can be turned into fat if you inject more than you need?

Also Beans are not high in carbs at all, this is a comman misconception. All beans peas sweetcorn nuts and cherrys(!) shouldnt be counted when looking at carbohydrate as they are extremely low GI. This is taught on DAFNE.

Good snack food would be low carb low fat things like chicken breast, salad, sugar free jelly, nuts, cherrys, Tuna, eggs (boiled), lactose free yougarts etc :D

Your doing well, just keep it up.

EDIT: Very well done in spotting my mistake! Forgot to meantion the of which sugars rule. when looking at carbs on anything you look at the carb value NOT the of which sugars one, APART from baked beans. Thanks :D

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Engineer88 said:
Hi Cass,

I would suggest that you get on the DAFNE course quick as, it sounds to me like your doing too much insulin. Did you know insulin can be turned into fat if you inject more than you need?

Also Beans are not high in carbs at all, this is a comman misconception. All beans peas sweetcorn nuts and cherrys(!) shouldnt be counted when looking at carbohydrate as they are extremely low GI. This is taught on DAFNE.

Good snack food would be low carb low fat things like chicken breast, salad, sugar free jelly, nuts, cherrys, Tuna, eggs (boiled), lactose free yougarts etc :D

Your doing well, just keep it up.

Beans themselves are low GI, sadly the sauce they're in is not (when it is tinned baked beans). This is one of the very rare occasions where I look at the "of which sugars" section, as recommended by my dietician. Most sauces have loads of sugar piled in.

If you're a fab of baked beans though its easy to make a tastey alternative with low sugar and low salt at home!

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done Cass!

The thing with all of these things is to just start it! There will be days (some time ahead) when you just want to throw in the towel, when you think that you'll never make that goal.

BUT, if you have started on those days just look back and see how far you have come! That will cheer you up and give you the determination not to fall too far off the wagon! Remember though, it is ok to have a few treats every now and then, special days like birthdays, Christmas etc are days when I always have a bit more than I maybe should, eat chocolate and have a couple of glasses of vino more than usual!

You have to live int he real world. Taking this step of changing your diet is the first thing. Being real about it is the second, keeping going is the difficult bit, but you can do it!

(this from someone who is really, really bad at sticking to anything for more than a week or so!) :D

mrsgreensmith

suffolkscouser said:
Well done Cass!

The thing with all of these things is to just start it! There will be days (some time ahead) when you just want to throw in the towel, when you think that you'll never make that goal.

BUT, if you have started on those days just look back and see how far you have come! That will cheer you up and give you the determination not to fall too far off the wagon! Remember though, it is ok to have a few treats every now and then, special days like birthdays, Christmas etc are days when I always have a bit more than I maybe should, eat chocolate and have a couple of glasses of vino more than usual!

You have to live int he real world. Taking this step of changing your diet is the first thing. Being real about it is the second, keeping going is the difficult bit, but you can do it!

(this from someone who is really, really bad at sticking to anything for more than a week or so!) :D

I really like your advice, thanks for that!

Just a little update, been really ill with tonsillitis and ear infection and have pretty much been comatose since my last post. Didn't go out for any meals so that solved that problem! Still not feeling right, have this really spaced out and odd sensation like a thick fog in my brain that won't shift, went to the docs with this yesterday who said it is depersonalisation but I've looked it up and I'm not convinced, it goes on about anxiety etc which I appreciate is a problem for some but has never been an issue for me in the slightest! He did say he would expect it to take several weeks to resolve.. Omg, can't live like this for several weeks, it's already ruining my life! I am hoping that it will disappear along with the infection bugging my ears and throat.

Diet wise just been drinking plenty and unfortunately diet went out the window when I just got so hungry because I couldn't eat anything and caved in to some Ben and jerrys ice cream. I'm just going to concentrate on getting better and then I will be right back on it. Although definitely don't think I will have put any one though, most probably lost because I've not eaten much. Blood sugars are a bitup and down but I think that's to be expected.

Thanks for all your words of wisdom and support guys, I will keep you updated,

Cass x

debzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I havnt posted before but have been looking on the board for a long time. I have got 6 stone to lose and am type 1 diabetic. I have been reading your posts which have given me a boost in my low times with this diet. I have lost 10 pounds so far in 4 weeks and it is weighing day today. I will post later to let you know what my loss is today hopefully.
Debzy.

missy789

Hi, well your not alone mate! I need to lose a fair bit myself so we'll be in this together. I had a stroke about 7 wks ago and have since lost 9kgs so it can be done. The best way to do it is a high protein, low carb diet. I'm a veggie so it's slightly harder for me but I eat alot of eggs, cheese and long release carbs such as beans peas and lentils. They keep your BG steady while still giving you a feeling of being full and satified. Are you on insulin or insulin resistant? It can be alot harder to lose weight if you are but dont give up hope. Cut down on things like bread, potatoes, rice and pasta and increase your protein and veg, salads etc. Eat protein if you feel hungry or have a large plate of salad, that will fill you up without many calories. Dont worry if you have a bad day, we all get them, just go back to the "diet" the next day and aiming that high for weight loss can be disheartening esp if you plateau out for a while. It's just your body's way of adjusting to the new you, it happens to us all and dont starve yourself either, your body will go into starvation mode and actually stops you losing weight! Eat regularly, at least 6 small meals a day rather than 3 large ones. and like I say more protein than carbs and plenty of veg/salad, reduce your salt intake which might help too but if you like dressings use them, dont think you cant have them, you can just dont overdo it. If I can do it anyone can, keep us informed of your progress x

BarbaraMc

Just to add my two-pennoth - when eating out, I usually ask for a Caesar salad with poached salmon, but you can have it with Chicken or Prawns (I don't eat prawns since I heard what they're fed on). Obviously, no croutons.
If I go for an Indian meal, Chicken Shaslik (spellings vary) is Tandoori, cooked on a sizzler, you still need to avoid rice and breads, but it comes on skewers with onions and peppers. Delish!
Now, I need to take the advice about beans etc, I tend to like fresh peas and broad beans, straight from the pod, can't think that's good.
Hope you're feeling better, Cass

debzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I went for my weigh in yesterday and have lost another 6 pounds so have now lost 1 stone 2 pounds in 5 weeks. The dietition was very pleased as I cannot excersise due to being in a wheelchair because I have m.s. to add to my list of health problems. I have now got just under 5 stone left to loose so am feeling quite good today. Hope everybody else is doing well with their weight loss.
Debzy.

PatTM

Good luck with the weight loss programme - and thank you! You've just motivated me to start today... instead of tomorrow, or next week. I also want to lose a of of weight, but am doing it in 'jumps' of about 10-15kg at a time, with a self-inflicted 'plateau' between each stage to see if I can maintain healthy eating. In the past I've lost a lot of weight at a time, but been unable to stop a sudden increase as soon as I stop the plan. This time it has to be for keeps. So, all success to you - keep us informed!

mrsgreensmith

Well starting to feel a little better today actually, tonsils are reducing in size and no headache today, still have a strange light headed/spaced out feeling. I will be weighing in as usual tomorrow even though I've not really been following the diet because of being ill. Back on it as of now as I can now swallow not too badly. I managed chicken with lime and coriander last night with a heap of veg and it was delicious, really enjoyed it although would have been nicer with a little serving of rice, I've heard about cauliflower rice, would anyone kindly tell me exactly how I do it? Is it any good?

BarbaraMc said:
Just to add my two-pennoth - when eating out, I usually ask for a Caesar salad with poached salmon, but you can have it with Chicken or Prawns (I don't eat prawns since I heard what they're fed on). Obviously, no croutons.
If I go for an Indian meal, Chicken Shaslik (spellings vary) is Tandoori, cooked on a sizzler, you still need to avoid rice and breads, but it comes on skewers with onions and peppers. Delish!
Now, I need to take the advice about beans etc, I tend to like fresh peas and broad beans, straight from the pod, can't think that's good.
Hope you're feeling better, Cass
I am intrigued, what are prawns fed on?

I am glad there are so many of you inspired by my posts, just wish I hadn't been ill for the past week.. Never mind I am back at it now and hoping I've at least managed to maintain my weight even if I've not lost, I shall let you all know tomorrow.

On a brighter note, not sure how many of you like big brother but I've got tickets to go to the live eviction tomorrow night so I'm looking forward to that :)

Onwards and upwards,
Cass x

mrsgreensmith

debzy said:
I went for my weigh in yesterday and have lost another 6 pounds so have now lost 1 stone 2 pounds in 5 weeks. The dietition was very pleased as I cannot excersise due to being in a wheelchair because I have m.s. to add to my list of health problems. I have now got just under 5 stone left to loose so am feeling quite good today. Hope everybody else is doing well with their weight loss.
Debzy.

Well done, that's fantastic! Keep at it hun! We can do this :)

Cass xxx