Channel 4, Dispatches 10th June.

K

Kat100

Connie I echo what you say there are many causes of type 1 and type 2
The media forgets that type 2 can put on weight when problems arise a d the body does not work well....It old be helpful if the health profession picked up on type 1 and 2 when people become unwell.....the diagnosis can be slow to be picked up....so little awareness in the world of health providers at times

marie-frances

The 3 drugs mentioned in the program were Byetta.Sitagliptin and Victoza
I commenced Byetta in 2009
Quite effective with HBA1C of 7.Felt so well on it that I started forgetting to take the evening dose
Saw the consultant in January 2013.He decided it would be easier to take Sitagliptin.One tablet a day any time and just as effective he said.
Straight away this tablet appeared to act as an appetite stimulant in my case.My weight went up by 10 kilos in 4 months.with mood swings ,craving carbohydrates and HBA1C went up to 9 when I had a review in April
Consultant agreed Sitagliptine was not effective and I was started on Victoza
Not able to check blood sugars regularly as the GP's practice withdrew all testing strips in the new year except for diabetics on insulin who drive.
Despite being on 2 new drugs :Sitagliptine and now Victoza GP said I could not have any more strips as patient's own testing is not accurate or misleading
GP said twice a year HBA1C was enough and that by now I should know all about hypos.
I have been type 2 for over 25 years.I am also on metformin 1GM twice a day and Glicazide 80mg twice a day
I did not have any hypos with Sitaglitine but with Victoza I did not know what to expect
Last week I went on a ramblers' holiday.A walk was harder and much longer than planned
Despite having had a big breakfast I nearly fainted.An other rambler who is NIDD but is able to get strips checked my BS which was 2.7
I only felt increased tiredness and near collapse which I linked to the effect of the walk and therefore did not realise I was having a hypo.I could not remember I was carrying dried apricot either and digestive biscuits.I was too shocked
I am not due for a review until October.If I call the diabetic nurse she tells me: persevere

Now I am scared to go on long walks as I cannot test and probably would overeat so as to keep a high blood sugar
The program on Channel 4 has got me over anxious because of the incidence of pancreatitis and pancreatic cancer
I have seen 2 acquaintances die of pancreatic cancer and you would not wish it on your worst enemy
The Times newspaper had an article on Monday called:Safety fears over diabetes drugs linked to cancer and noted that manufacturers have been unwilling to share their data over the 3 drugs mentioned.What is there to hide?
Other newspapers also carried articles about the drugs and this is making me very unsettled

Has anyone used these 3 drugs?

In France a diabetic drug called Mediator had to be withdrawn because of multiple side effects and compensation claims are on going
An other diabetic drug in the UK was also withdrawn which I had been taking
Is there a doctor reading this ?