Shirataki Noodles

spinningwoman

I use courgette noodles a lot in stir fry. I make them with a 'spiralizer' gadget that is intended to make spiral cut carrots etc for salads - they tend to come out in summer from advertising firms like JML etc. I bought mine in a charity shop for £2 having heard that they made good 'noodles' and despite the knocking I get from my husband about my kitchen gadgets, I wouldn't part with it for anything. The way it works is that you put a slicing or a grating blade in and then the carrot or courgette or whatever gets turned and fed onto the blades to form wither a long spiral slice or long spiralled strands from the grater, which are ideal for noodles. You don't pre-cook the courgette noodles; just put them raw into the stir fry and cook for a few minutes until they soften. Honestly, I don't believe anyone would guess they weren't ordinary noodles once cooked in sauce etc.

Mine looks very similar to this one on amazon. co. uk - the 'Lurch Spirali' but I notice they also do a vertical one which might be easier to operate without it skidding off the counter!

LittleWolf

I'm a Japanese culture nut and know
my noodles ;3

Have you tried buckwheat or mung bean noodles? Neither of those spike me and mung bean vermicelli (NOT the rice one, known by various names) are dirt cheap.

Seriously dirt cheap. Under £1 for packets and packets and packets of them. They look really cool too. Try any Asian supermarket or Amazon x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Great news! Ocado has started stocking "Eat Water" konjac noodles, pasta and rice. No more special trips to Holland & Barrett, only to find they're out of stock. Ordered six last week on a 3 for the price of 2 offer.

A

Anonymous

hornplayer said:
Had a look at the entry on wiki, - must say, the picture totally put me off!

:lol: I tried courgette pasta the other evening
http://fitterlondon.co.uk/food/courgette-spaghetti-carbonara-low-carb-high-taste/
Obviously any suitable veg. would do. WIKI suggests "Alternatively, the noodles can be drained and dry roasted. This gets rid of the bitterness. It also makes the noodles have a more pasta like consistency. Dry roasting is done by placing noodles in a non-stick skillet on high for a minute or until you hear a slight squeaking noise when moving them around. After that they are ready to be added to soup stock or have a sauce added to them."

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
What sort of sauces are people adding to the noodles. I've no tried them yet, but was planning on doing a stir fry with veggies.

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
Available in Holland & Barratt. Hubby likened them to eating elastic bands. I won't be buying them again.