Whats everyones worst fall off the wagon?

A

Anonymous

equipoise said:
[quote="

Apologies for that ... I sometimes get my knickers in a twist when replying with quotes, :oops:

No need to apologise for agreeing with me! :D In saying that all diabetics are on a restricted diet I simply meant that we all in some way or another restrict what we eat -- and that goes for Sid with his reduced portion size as well. And as we are all in some sense restricting our diet, so we all need a bit of encouragement to do so. And I would think that that means encouraging people not to feel bad about an occasional treat, but also encouraging them to do it within the context of careful control, and making sure they know what they are doing. I have not said 'low carb' at any point. :roll:[/quote]

Understand. To the extent that I have reduced my portion sizes to about 250g carbs per day but eating whatever I fancy, then I am restricting my diet I suppose in terms of overall food intake as opposed to avoiding certain things.

kellibabi

Well, I fell off the wagon yesterday -

Hen night on Saturday ( I behaved myself ) - ZERO sleep & 3 trains back to Essex from Coventry.
I was shattered so had a bag of Revels to perk/cheer myself up before a nice long bath & a comfy pair of pj's.

I will NOT apologise lol! 8)

Ladybirdy75

I am envious. I WANT REVELS!!!! But i have lost another half a pound (woo hoo) this weeks making it 14.5 lbs so i guess abstinence pays off sometimes
;-)

kellibabi -no, don't dare apologise ha ha

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh dear,just fell off the wagon completely. Low this am,ha bacon sandwich(1 slice bread) hour later I was 12,gave 1 unit,then at 8am was 14,gave 2 units via pump. Had to go shopping in Asda,slipped up big style,had nearly a box of chocolate caramel shortbread,stupidly didn't even enjoy it that much. Feeling rubbish & numbers are upto 17 :(, just changing cannula & going for a good walk with the dogs

Spiritus70

Type of diabetes
Type 1
About five years ago I was given a box of marzipan fruits. As these were a gift & my favourite treat pre- diabetes I succumbed & scoffed the lot. After vomiting for England & feeling sick for what seemed like hours & hours, common sense & will power now prevail every time. I guess some of us have to learn the hard way.

khristina.b

What happened to dose adjustment for normal eating? eating fish and chips and the likes and adjusting your insulin dose accordingly does not mean you have fallen off the wagon. Surely the management of diabetes these days, allows us to follow a near normal diet without us feeling guilty. Hence the DAFNE.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I just posted something similar khristina, but deleted when I realised it was in the low carb section lol

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm not convinced by DAFNE. If it worked then more than 6% of type 1s would be achieving an HbA1c of 6.5% (see the results of the national diabetes audit). It didn't work for me and I couldn't find any published results that suggest it does for the type 1 population by-and-large.

My fall off the waggon involved going out and consuming a few pints of beer, curry, rice, naan bread and a pudding. Very few diabetics would be able to dose correctly for that and if they did, I'd suggest it was by luck.

Edit: corrected spelling mistakes.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Agree sam, with having beer, takeaway etc. I am fortunate that dafne does work for me and am able to achieve hba1c in the low 6s. I can get away with eating pretty much what I want as long as I can calculate the total carbs of everything I eat. Even takeaways if I weigh and calculate referencing the carbs and cals book. I do have the occasional meal out with a few beers and although higher than my norm usually below ten. Dafne will work but throw alchohol into the mix added with guessing carbs probably not in the long term, which is why we have to be very careful when consuming alchohol.
Admittidly, alot easier with the pump allowing extended.boluses for high fast meals (on the odd occasion) , but the best of it is bolusing accurately within 0.1.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's great that it works for you Brett and I take my hat off to you as I failed with it. I don't think it's the best strategy though, as suggested by the national diabetes audit. I think low carbing is. Saying that though, the best strategy is what ever works for the individual, whether that's DAFNE or anything else.

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, I do think that the individual has to be happy more than anything. From there get the best control you can with what your happy with. I also take my hat off to you cause I know I could not low carb and know it takes alot of will power and determination. I suppose thats how I made dafne work cause I knew ir had too, did take a while though to get consistency.

LittleWolf

DAFNE is not an option for T2s :(

Horrible arguments over what we eat with my T1 partner. Says I'm too skinny, tries to load me with the carby fast food he loves (and I secretly want from time to time) He understands having no insulin but large amounts w/resistance makes no sense to him.

It's been an enlightening experience checking out the carb content of foods I wouldn't previously have thought of as 'sugary'