any suggestions as an alternative to rice

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,

I have been getting to grips with my diet, and whilst I can find a reasonable way to have a healthy curry or chilli :D , I am struggling to find an alternative to basmati rice as a side dish, I also like to ration my self to the occassional chapatti or tortilla

Has anyone any ideas, or is there a reasonably low carb rice out there.

Thanks in advance,

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i know some people grate cauliflower and use that. hope this helps :)

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
victoria84 said:
i know some people grate cauliflower and use that. hope this helps :)

Thanks never thought about that....might be an idea

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As mentioned above cauliflower is a good substitute for rice.

I like to put cauliflower in my food processor to chop it up and then I fry it (I tend to use frozen cauliflower, put it in hot water till it is softer, then squeeze the water out and then put it in the food processor).

I also sometimes use white cabbage either good processes or just cut up. This is nice with curry.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch13 said:
As mentioned above cauliflower is a good substitute for rice.

I like to put cauliflower in my food processor to chop it up and then I fry it (I tend to use frozen cauliflower, put it in hot water till it is softer, then squeeze the water out and then put it in the food processor).

I also sometimes use white cabbage either good processes or just cut up. This is nice with curry.

Thanks, do you fry the cabbage or steam it? cheers

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I fry it or boil it. Boiling either in water or if I am feeling lazy I through it in whatever sauce I plan to have it with and cook it that way.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Patch13 said:
I fry it or boil it. Boiling either in water or if I am feeling lazy I through it in whatever sauce I plan to have it with and cook it that way.

Thanks, this is a dangerous time of the day to be thinking of a curry :lol: meal planning for tomorrow

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Grate the cauliflower or finely chop, put it in a microwaveable dis, cover it with cling film ( don't add any water ) and microwave on high for 2.5 mins. Simple and quick, I use it as an alternative to rice and use it with anything that has a sauce

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Picci said:
Grate the cauliflower or finely chop, put it in a microwaveable dis, cover it with cling film ( don't add any water ) and microwave on high for 2.5 mins. Simple and quick, I use it as an alternative to rice and use it with anything that has a sauce

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

thanks.That sounds a quick and easy way, will definitely give that ago, had some great tips on here, really appreciate it.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw in Hollands&Barrett low carb rice. I think its something similar to zero noodles just in shape of rice.

Reactions: 2 people

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
deb60 said:
I use either stir fry vegetables or beansprouts.

thanks, picked up some bean sprouts on Saturday and put them back for some reason, might give them a try.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Basmati rice is actually the best type of rice a diabetic can eat as the human body has difficulty breaking it down to glucose, that said I would not advise any diabetic to eat a plateful of the stuff.

I just cut down the portion size so instead of covering a plate with rice and then putting a curry on top of that I just have two spoonfuls of basmati rice with a curry now or any other meal I eat rice with, if thats not enough to fill you up then make vegetable curry as a side dish, a cauliflower bhaji or similar.

I know a lot of people eat cauliflower as a substitute for rice but I dont see the point of pretending one food is something else its a bit like vegetarians that make vegetarian meals to look and taste like meat, it fools no one. Better to reduce the portions of carbs and test your bg levels before and 2 hours after eating to determine the portion size that you can eat rather than trying to kid yourself by eating something else, and there are many better ways of eating cauliflower than plain shredded and boiled. :thumbup:

Eat smaller portions and enjoy almost everything :thumbup:

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting comments and thanks for the input, I am newly diagnosed T2 and my priority is to get BG reading down, I am not sure I have a stable enough level to begin experimenting, but I would like to eventually get back to a normal mix of foods,

Thanks

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hi all, Someone put a post reply on one of my questions about diet and they said brown rice had zero carbs, is that ok?

Kind regards all,

Q..

A

Anonymous

mch1966 said:
Hi,

I have been getting to grips with my diet, and whilst I can find a reasonable way to have a healthy curry or chilli :D , I am struggling to find an alternative to basmati rice as a side dish, I also like to ration my self to the occassional chapatti or tortilla

Has anyone any ideas, or is there a reasonably low carb rice out there.

Thanks in advance,

A lot of Indians eat 'roti', sort of chapattis instead of rice (not that the stats for diabetes in India help!). So you could make your own ... just plain flour (possibly gram flour or any other?), water and a pinch of salt if you want, and maybe some caraway seeds. You can control the size & thickness.