Stress at work

sarah1282

Hello everyone. Im looking for advice as I feel trapped at the moment. There was an incident last week at work with the office bully and me standing up for myself. After finally telling this woman to back of which lasted a good 30 minutes I had a hypo. Had another when I got home and the next day just the thought of going back into work gave me a hypo. Saw my dr Who has signed me of for a week and he told me stress can trigger hpyos (is this true) my dilema is what do I do about my job. This woman has been there for 17 years and management are for some reason scared to do anything about her. I cannot stay in the same office as her but then think why let her win. What would any of you do in my situation?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
sarah1282 said:
Hello everyone. Im looking for advice as I feel trapped at the moment. There was an incident last week at work with the office bully and me standing up for myself. After finally telling this woman to back of which lasted a good 30 minutes I had a hypo. Had another when I got home and the next day just the thought of going back into work gave me a hypo. Saw my dr Who has signed me of for a week and he told me stress can trigger hpyos (is this true) my dilema is what do I do about my job. This woman has been there for 17 years and management are for some reason scared to do anything about her. I cannot stay in the same office as her but then think why let her win. What would any of you do in my situation?

I'm afraid I really don't know what to do about the woman. We all know you SHOULD walk back in as if nothing happened, but that's fat easier said than done.

Stress doesn't trigger hypos on me, but it does mean a drop on BG usually. If I'm going into a long meeting I usually have a bite of something before hand to get me through

When you're going back be sure to keep a closer eye on your BG and try to prevent the hypos rather than having to treat them :)

Good luck. It's a tough situation and I feel for you!

Diddly

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, can't really offer any advise.Just wanted to say well done and good for you for sticking up for yourself. All the best. Pete

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
sarah1282 said:

Gp might be right but most find their bg sky rockets when they are extremely stressed. As for the lady in question, if your not in a Trade Union then the best place to ask for advice on this matter is the Citizens Advice Bureau, waiting times for an appointment can be long so I'd ring straight away if you intend to use them.

mandydowns

Hi

Stress sends my BG throught the ceiling - having a really stressful period at work and reading was 18 this morning before breakfast. Will monitor and contact GP if things dont improve.

Bless you for standing up to a bully - I hope that you resolve this soon as I know how hard it can be to assert yourself. :clap:

Elc1112

You've done the right thing by standing up to this person. You're in a work environment, not a playground. This person needs to get over themselves and get on with it.

Without knowing exactly what they have done it is difficult to say what you should do next. You can report it to your employer. Again, without knowing what they done, it is hard to say what they will do. It is still worth reporting it so that it is documented. It will help if you ever need to take things further.

If you don't feel that your concerns are being taken seriously then escalate it. Your company should have a grievance procedure. As others have said, you could also seek advice from the CBA.

As a last resort, you have the option if leaving/moving to a new organisation. If you do go down this route make it clear in your exit interview why you are leaving.

Whatever you chose to do, make sure you can back your claims up with real, hard evidence. Your employer will find it much harder to ignore your concerns if you can back everything up.

Hope things improve soon!

Em

elaine77

What I would do is go back to work and keep a detailed diary of every single thing the bully does and says to you... Dates..times..etc.... Once uve got a very good size record of the bullying I would take it to the big boss and show it to them and tell them that you don't care how long this bully has worked there, either they take action against the bully or u will take action against them.

If the bully ever bully's u for anything to do with your diabetes then make sure u record that too as diabetes is now classified as a disability and therefore bullying you for it is disability discrimination and a good case for a tribunal which your employers will be aware of......

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
elaine77 said:
What I would do is go back to work and keep a detailed diary of every single thing the bully does and says to you... Dates..times..etc.... Once uve got a very good size record of the bullying I would take it to the big boss and show it to them and tell them that you don't care how long this bully has worked there, either they take action against the bully or u will take action against them.

If the bully ever bully's u for anything to do with your diabetes then make sure u record that too as diabetes is now classified as a disability and therefore bullying you for it is disability discrimination and a good case for a tribunal which your employers will be aware of......

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 23 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Keeping a diary is a good idea. It can back you up if you decide to take things further

sarah1282

Thank you all so much. Im gonna be strong go back to work and the diary idea is brilliant cant believe ive never thought of that. The support on here is seriously great xxx