Mayple syrup with sucralose. Yay or nay?

pickledpepper2

Got a few bottles of Mayple syrup with sucralose from a Canadian relative (they are lower carb).

Does anyone know of any reasons why i shouldn't use them?

Opinions appreciated.

pickledpepper2

Had a quick sift though previous posts containing the word 'sucralose' and am under the impression that sucralose is a better alternative than aspartame (though I know avoiding artificial sweeteners is probably the best policy overall).

Geocacher

What a fantastic treat!

Sucralose is heat stable so you could even use your maple syrup for cooking and baking -- sucralose is the same sweetener sold in the UK under the brand name of 'Splenda'.

I wish I could get some of that for my morning oatbran porridge... yum.

pickledpepper2

Geocacher said:
What a fantastic treat!

Sucralose is heat stable so you could even use your maple syrup for cooking and baking -- sucralose is the same sweetener sold in the UK under the brand name of 'Splenda'.

I wish I could get some of that for my morning oatbran porridge... yum.

Going to get experimental in the kitchen tomorrow!

Would love to try homemade granola bars.

Any tried and tested recipes will be appreciated!

K

Kat100

Only an idea....have you tried sweet freedom to bake with...it's great for our diet . Sold on line or in wait rose or morrisons.....

Geocacher

Sweet Freedom is a liquid version of fruit sugar -- fructose.

It's not as good as the label suggests, fructose is used a bit more slowly by the body but it's still a sugar and not the best thing to use regularly or in quantity. My understanding is that you should treat it like any other sugar in terms of how it fits into your diet and that it can make insulin resistance worse.

K

Kat100

Just as a point of interest.....making 16 flapjacks with sweet freedom ( not all for me) I was informed by my dietetient that each flap jack was less than a rich tea biscuit? I don't know how to do the maths....still new and making changes slowly.....now I,m confused....any thoughts on using xylitol in baking I have just tried it...am I on track here? .......thank you :)

K

Kat100

So I can use maple syrup? I was informed no along with honey as a no....all this new information can really be hard to take in thank you for your help

Geocacher

Maple syrup with sucralose is a not real maple syrup, it's a sucralose sweetened syrup that is maple flavoured. It's a product available in America and Canada but not in the UK, at least not that I've found.

Sucralose and aspartame are two of the best artificial sweetners as far as having a clean sweet flavour with little aftertaste. Sucralose can be used in cooking, aspartame breaks down in cooking and is best added once foods have cooled below the boiling point or for use in cold drinks and cold desserts.

Flapjacks could be made with sucralose (Splenda or the store brand equivalent) but I would add a tablespoon or two of applesauce to give a similar texture to what you would have using a fructose based product.