mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
gezzathorpe said:
mch1966 said:
Hi,

I have been getting to grips with my diet, and whilst I can find a reasonable way to have a healthy curry or chilli :D , I am struggling to find an alternative to basmati rice as a side dish, I also like to ration my self to the occassional chapatti or tortilla

Has anyone any ideas, or is there a reasonably low carb rice out there.

Thanks in advance,

A lot of Indians eat 'roti', sort of chapattis instead of rice (not that the stats for diabetes in India help!). So you could make your own ... just plain flour (possibly gram flour or any other?), water and a pinch of salt if you want, and maybe some caraway seeds. You can control the size & thickness.

thanks for the idea, it seems that the gram flour is still quite high though

K

Kat100

I am with Sid bonkers on this one with rice which I eat a small portion of...I find its fine....I am t2 ....
It does say this rice is the best and I have lost 2 stones in 6 months.....opps I am a veggie as well....but wouldn't want o eat anything that looked or tasted like meat....each to their own choices but I love rice and curry....:) best wishes to all

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
gezzathorpe said:
Quinoa (pronounced "KEEN-wah"), a South American seed that serves as a tasty and healthful stand-in for rice or couscous. One cup of cooked quinoa has 15% fewer carbohydrates and 60% more protein than a comparable amount of brown rice; it also has 25% more fiber, which can help lower blood cholesterol.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20307281_9,00.html