Have you ever had mental health issues related to diabetes?

If you have ever had mental health issues relating to diabetes, what were they?

• Depression

Votes: 87 86.1%
  • Stress

Votes: 63 62.4%
  • Anxiety

Votes: 65 64.4%
  • Diabetes Distress

Votes: 28 27.7%
  • Diabetes Burnout

Votes: 29 28.7%
  • Other

Votes: 18 17.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Have you ever had mental health issues related to diabet

This is an extremely biased poll. What about a box for "None of the above".

Rayh78

I've been type 1 for 27 years and 3 years ago overdosed on insulin was later diagnosed with depression and slight personality disorder which they claimed was me wanting not to be diabetic so rejecting the fact I was eating everything and anything
My Hba1C was 14.9 but is slowly coming down on Monday it was 9.2 would be nice to talk to other diabetics about it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).

I'm relatively new T2 diabetic, never been sick before, weight was perfect, BP was perfect, you get the picture. I went through a relationship problem that crushed my very purpose in life I was devastated and my mood, outlook was dangerously low if you get my meaning. Went for counselling and was told it was a form of grief, it went on for five long years I just couldn't see a way back, I felt cursed. Then, the second express train of bad news came from left of field and hit me, when I was diagnosed with T2. I discussed T2 news with the consultant I was seeing for my mood and, by chance, he'd been researching the links between diabetes and depression and other mental illnesses. He is convinced that severe emotional trauma is a trigger to bringing on the onset of diabetes. So I did my own research and there was plenty of others, when I looked on the web, that supported the link between the two conditions. Had I not gone through that dark dark period, I more than probably would have escaped the T2, but now the T2 seems to be driving the continuation of poor mood. Any thoughts on what I've said?

D

Deleted member 45091

Yep recon got just about all of em ha ha, I just plod along take each day as it comes, 32 now had it since I was 10 would of thought being in any job for 20 odd years I would be good at it by now. Not saying diabetes is worse but with some physical disabilities you know where you are everyday with it and adapt, but for me people tell me I look fit as a fiddle but on the inside feel like ****. Everday is different, from feeling hungry/hypo when sugars are normal or high, swings in levels eating similar or same foods, think diabetes is a mind field some people click lucky some have great control but some try everything and still struggle, so I can see why people get mental issues...I get fed up angry sad every emotion possible, what keeps me going is I like a pint once a week maybe 2. Still check sugars and eat regular and my sugars can go up into 20s, but I know its not good but it keeps me sane. If It shaves a few years of my life so be it. But a few beers with family and friends having a laugh gives me that time out I need, obviously I cant have a day off not injecting testing eating what I want but its the next best thing. And hopefully that's the plan today.. well the sun is out after all :thumbup:

H

Hooked

What on earth is "Diabetes Distress" and "Diabetes Burnout"? I've never heard of those. :?

Squire Fulwood said:
This is an extremely biased poll. What about a box for "None of the above".

I agree. Though not knowing what some of the options actually are, I don't know if I've suffered from them. :lol:

dizzyrj

I am suffering from depression, it's partly due to my diabetes and both my mum and stepdad causing me grief and constantly on my back about everything

Then the depression is causing burnout, my A1c level is way higher than before I was diagnosed. I have only started to get back on track but its still a long way off.

I AM BROKEN :/

ikklewabbit

Hello

I was diagnosed with type 2 on Friday and although I always knew it was in the post, this weekend has been very hard for me and reading other posts answers why I could be behaving the way I am. Stress, anxiety, no patience with my little boy at all which is so unlike me too are all reactions. Does it get better? I do hope so.

2Fat2Spurious

Funny thing. But I was actually quite relieved. I'd been getting up in the night to pee, having blurred vision and mid-afternoon energy collapses (It was all I could do to keep awake - literally). When I went to my Dr and said "I think I have diabetes", he tested me and was - I think - surprised to find out that I did.

Do I think on it as a bad thing? - Well, yes. But I am glad I got diagnosed and got it at an early stage. At this point if I exercise a little, don't eat **** I probably shouldn't have eaten in the first place I probably won't have any major complications.

Some people get cancer at my age. Some people get AIDS. Christ had been dead for several years, Frank Williams was in a wheelchair. So I think I can handle laying off the carbs and peddling an exercise bike, all of which bring their own rewards regardless of diabetes. It could be a lot worse.

Still not nice, though.

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Since reading about diabetes burnout today I now realise I should have selected that too.

I had my 20yr anniversary of having type1 a few days ago and I'd say the first 1 1/2 - 2yrs were ok but the last 18 I've definitely had diabetes burnout without a doubt. I'd never heard the term before now. I didn't realise it was common enough for there to be a term for it... I just thought I was a bad diabetic!! Very interesting!

EFL 43

I have no idea whether this is because of my diabetes, in the days before I was diagnosed whenever I woke up I could see something floating for a few seconds. There was such variety in what I would see I wasn't afraid and am now really curious to see what the next thing will be. I have experienced this for months now and it happens less and less. I googled this and while is can be a symptom of something else and it isn't unusual as others seem to have same experiences. :wave:

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Having diabetes and episodes of bad sugar control affects my ocd for the worse.

markcunn2

I get periods where I get very depressed and low. Last period of depression saw me really grumpy and with a need to hit walls to get my frustration out. Saw my GP who was very understanding and gave me a course of anti depressants and referred me to anger management. Now depression free and weaned myself off the anti depressants slowly. GP very impressed with me knowing when I was not in need of them and stopping them sensibly.

I do feel for others who go through periods of depression, it is not nice. I have never been that depressed that I considered killing myself though.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.

Yes! Some of the posts on here make me question the sanity of others.

L

Luna21

equipoise said:
How on earth can you have a poll with the question 'have you ever had...?' when there is no option for 'no'?? This is absurd.
'If you have ever had mental health issues relating to diabetes, what were they?', perhaps?

I agree. The wording of this poll is wrong. What about the people who haven't had any depressive condition due to diabetes or other health issues?

Spirit of Eden

Yes, I miss the person I used to be.

My inner torment is that Diabetes should be just a case of working out the numbers and sticking the needle in, but it isn't. It's like having to learn to become a new person, leaving the old one behind and exploring the new one. All of that takes a lot of mental "horse power" which most of us struggle with.

It's not very different I suspect from somebody who has an accident and loses a limb or any life changing event.

I am currently conducting MSc research that is looking at diabetes and psychology- I am a T1 diabetic (and have been for the past 16 years) and have struggled with anxiety, depression and poor self-esteem. I personally don't think there is enough psychological support for individuals with diabetes, and am therefore looking for participants with diabetes (any type) over 18, who would be willing to spend a few minutes to complete my online survey for me. The link is www.surveymonkey.com/s/important-diabetes-survey, and could seriously help raise awareness of psychological issues faced by individuals with diabetes every day.

Thank you!

Harriet Bridges
MSc Psychology, Northumbria University

pickledpepper2

On reflection on my original post on this thread.

Just what do we mean by 'mental health issues' here?

Sure, when I was first diagnosed the news that I had a condition for life and the early symptoms had me feeling seriously down, but is this not simply natural under the circs?

duranton1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1

I have been a type 1 diabetic for over 46 years. Syringes, insulins etc are far better now than ever. When I was diagnosed I was given no information whatsoever I found out myself from medical books which gave all horrible side effect which terrified me. I just had to get On with it as I have done ever since. Now aged 67 I am finding myself resenting the disease as it completely
infringes on life generally. I do have periods of depression which can be cripling, but again I handle it muself as I know pills will not "cure" the prnlem. I deal with hypos by drinking Lucozade, it acts instantly it makes contact with the inside of the mouth. It is glucose and not raw sugar which needs the body to convert to glucose so no "hung over" feeling. You HAVE TO BE STRONG AND INDEPENDANT WITH DIABETES, you cannot rely on anyone else. It is the only way to live a normal full life, which I always have plus travelled the world several times. Newly diagnosed diabetics are given more information than I ever was or indeed now get from my diabetes physician.

thebassist84

Harriot, I have filled out your survey. I think its fantastic that research is being carried out on diabetes psychology. The key to keeping it under control is to be in control of yourself. Stress affects my readings as much as anything and its imperative to remain calm. Anything which could help would be welcome. Personally suffered from anxiety and depression, once, but badly! Pills didn't work, alcohol made it worse! Cannabis actually helped but its not a cure. I was not offered counseling! In the end I found myself and began changing all aspects of my life. Made an effort to do the things I enjoy and not worry about what other people think. If you do you are their slave!!!!!