Changing meter to iBGStar

steveamos1234

Had my yearly checkup today and everything is looking good. HBA1C of 43 (just over 6 in old money).

My GP is great and asked what meter I used. I'm currently using the Bayer Breeze 2, which works well but my only complaint is the size as it's too big to keep in my pocket when out for the evening. She suggested I try the iBGStar, which connects to an IPhone and is much smaller.

A couple of question though to those of you using it:

1. I assume it doesn't need to be connected to the IPhone to work?

2. What's it like when used with an adapter on an IPhone 5? Do they have any plans to support the iphone 5 natively. Don't like the idea of the adapter, but I guess it would be ok.

3. What's the accuracy like? I searched the forum and there seem to be various posts about accuracy not being great.

4. I checked out the Sanofi website for more info and one of their video states you need to discard the first blood sample, i.e. finger prick, squeeze finger for sample, clean, then sample again? This seems way too complicated and something I've never done before with any meter. Is this really needed?

Thanks for all the help!

H

Hooked

I'm interested to learn more about this monitor as well. Or if there is an android equivalent to it. First heard of it yesterday and it sounds very handy; but not seen it in person.

steveamos1234

OK, I'm impatient. Decided to go and buy one from Boots.

If anyone is local to Cheltenham you can get a bargain. They are currently on offer at £24, but as the strips are date coded they had reduced the ones on the shelf by 50%. So paid £12. :mrgreen: I guess I could also get the VAT back, but they didn't seem to know how I would do that? Not really important for another couple of pound.

Anyway, first impressions are very good. This has to be the smallest meter I have ever seen. It's tiny! Results compared to my Breeze 2 seem to be 10% higher based on a couple of tests.

Works well without the Iphone and yet to try it with the phone as I need to get an adapter for my Iphone 5.

Even comes with a micro USB charger and cable, so no worrying about the battery going flat.

GP has changed my prescription, so let's hope it proves to be reliable!

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
You can get them from apple - £25

I necessary but irritating rip off and beware the cheap copies do not work with the iBGStar

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I forgot I have been using mine for a little over two months now and absolutely love it apart from the adaptor bit

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I liked the idea of this and got it last year but gave up on it for one key reason; if you use it outside I found the display on the monitor is not good enough; even with a small amount of sun you can't read what the thing says rendering it useless. If you attach it to your iPhone that will correct that but sometimes that's not practical.

I now use the Freestyle Lite which has an insulin to carb calculator which is very useful; a real asset, although possibly it tests a bit low?

Best

Dillinger

H

Hooked

steveamos1234 said:
OK, I'm impatient. Decided to go and buy one from Boots.

If anyone is local to Cheltenham you can get a bargain. They are currently on offer at £24, but as the strips are date coded they had reduced the ones on the shelf by 50%. So paid £12. :mrgreen: I guess I could also get the VAT back, but they didn't seem to know how I would do that? Not really important for another couple of pound.

Anyway, first impressions are very good. This has to be the smallest meter I have ever seen. It's tiny! Results compared to my Breeze 2 seem to be 10% higher based on a couple of tests.

Works well without the Iphone and yet to try it with the phone as I need to get an adapter for my Iphone 5.

Even comes with a micro USB charger and cable, so no worrying about the battery going flat.

GP has changed my prescription, so let's hope it proves to be reliable!

Lol, and I thought I was impatient. :wink:
I see it's on offer on the Boots website as well, but you got a real bargain there. I didn't know it needed a special adaptor to attach it to the iphone 5, which sounds like a bit of a pain, though I read here they are developing a new one that will hopefully work on an iOS6 system.
http://www.bgstar.com/web/news/iphone5_ios6_updated_

Keep us posted on what you think of it.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I am happy to report that the app is compatible with the iPhone 5 although the only adaptor that I can get to work is the genuine Apple product.

I think it is excellent and will not be changing anytime soon.

QasimH

I switched to the meter last year and honestly it is one of the best monitoring systems you can get... Currently half price at boots :) you may get it cheaper if you can get the VAT waived... The adaptor can be purchased for £18 if your using one of the latest apple products with the lightning port.

The ibgstar app could be better but overall it is worth every penny. It helps my diabetic practitioner get a greater insight in to my blood glucose control.

Any further questions please feel free to ask :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

H

Hooked

What does the adaptor look like? I've tried searching for it online, but can't find it.

H

Hooked

What does the adaptor look like? I've tried searching for it online, but can't find it.

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
You will find it in the Apple store I do not think you can get them anywhere else

H

Hooked

Neil Walters said:
You will find it in the Apple store I do not think you can get them anywhere else

Yes, that's the first place I tried doing a search on it and it turned up nothing. :***: Perhaps I'm spelling the name incorrectly. What does your adaptor look like - is it a lead?

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
I bought a cheap on on eBay for £1.50 and surprise surprise it would not work so I went to Apple for the real thing