Fruit

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I would like to know if there is such a thing as a bad fruit for a T2, I enjoy apples, pears, grapes, pineapple etc, would any of these pose a risk if eaten as a snack, thanks

Elc1112

Some fruits - pineapples, for example - contain more sugar than others. They are not necessarily bad for diabetics but you should watch your sugar levels after eating them.

Em

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

LittleWolf

Grapes! Anything without much fiber in it :/ Started another thread on the effects of fructose on BG last week. Fruit juice does worse things to me than Lucozade @_@ Not sure about the others but grapes and juice especially without pulp... Oh dear.

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Elc1112 said:
Some fruits - pineapples, for example - contain more sugar than others. They are not necessarily bad for diabetics but you should watch your sugar levels after eating them.

Em

Thanks Em

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LittleWolf said:
Grapes! Anything without much fiber in it :/ Started another thread on the effects of fructose on BG last week. Fruit juice does worse things to me than Lucozade @_@ Not sure about the others but grapes and juice especially without pulp... Oh dear.

thanks for the advice on the grapes, might be better to take them in a processed way then, like wine :D

LittleWolf

Alcohol does lower blood sugar in the short term but I'm confused as to what it does long term.

I had a glass of white wine with a meal of lamb and a few new potatoes and had a low 2 hour reading of 6.5... Then ate half a bag of prawn crackers and shot up to 19.4 Still unsure if it was just the crackers because I've woken up at 19 after having drunk cider the night before. Just be careful. Might produce an initial low then a rebound high. Keep testing xx

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ripe pineapple will raise sugar levels quite a lot. I love peaches and nectarines but these are off my list now.I buy slightly unripe apricots and stew them adding a few sweetners and they are fine and contain a lot of fibre.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat a banana and drink orange juice for breakfast, eat tomatoes and an apple for lunch most days. Sugars tend to be under 6 2 hours post fruit. I don't eat many grapes anymore, or pineapples, mango etc.
I have always eaten quite a bit of fruit so I don't know if this is my body just used to it, or actually the fruit I eat isn't so sugary as maybe some people say! :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As a type 1 no fruit really is off limits, however as a type 2 you may have to stick with berries...... such as strawberries and blueberries which tend to be low (ish) in carbs, only way of knowing is by testing your bg after eating.

eaglet

Dislikes
Politics and things I won't go in to in a public forum
Hi,
I'm also type 2 and read that water melon isn't good but when I ask why no answer! Surely they are mostly water??
Any ideas??
Cheers :?: :?:

hornplayer

I'm guessing that maybe the bits that aren't water are a sugar? - just a guess. I love watermelon. :(

Miss fruit. Got 3 apple trees, a cherry tree and an enormous Victoria plum tree in the garden. I'm depressed already!

mch1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
eaglet said:
Hi,
I'm also type 2 and read that water melon isn't good but when I ask why no answer! Surely they are mostly water??
Any ideas??
Cheers :?: :?:

It might be the weight to volume ratio as water melon is 8gms carbs per 100gms, I would not of thought it to be the worst, but there again could I stop at a 100gms, I doubt it :oops: