A Simple Request

Neil Walters

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not being Grumpy
Could the mods please create a whole new forum where we could discuss kitchens and any post with the word kitchen in it, could be sent straight there without passing go and particularly my screen - aaaaaarrrrrrrhhhhhh!

Diagnosed Type II 1998 1 x 80 mg Gliclazide, 4 x 500mg Metformin and 1 x 100mg Sitagliptin - HbA1c - 48 mmol/mol

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This morning was particularly bad.

My only question is why is it always kitchens?!?

A

Anonymous

hale710 said:
This morning was particularly bad.

My only question is why is it always kitchens?!?

Nothing to do with food and diet discussions, I'm sure. :eh: :eh: Mind you, I would have expected bathrooms as well due to diabetic chocolate etc. :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wonder what attracts them to this forum, never see it anywhere else on other forums diabetes related or not :?

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
This bombardment is really ticking me off too !

How about we mount a campaign to ring 01616 694785 in a rota , say each of us to devote 10 minutes constantly dialling that number and overload their switchboard. ?

I called at 0630 this am and got the usual queueing message.

Or perhaps we could get a special discount for diabetics ! haha !

Roy

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The forum uses public domain software called phpBB from http://www.phpbb.com

Anyone who has ever used this type of software knows it attracts hackers. They are mostly automated posts or spambots.

There are even websites dedicated to hacking phpBB:

Tutorial on How to Hack A phpBB Forum Site
http://haxorslodge.blogspot.co.uk/2011/ ... forum.html

The reason why it is always kitchens is because it is probably just one hacker using this forum to test his skills at getting around the various defences. A common reason for posting links however is that a website indexed on google gets an improved ranking with the number of other websites that link to it. If many sites link to a particular one, Google thinks it is 'more important'. A good way of improving the ranking of your web site is to spam forums like this, of which there are tens of thousands, with links to your site. It's the web equivalent of fly posting. They don't expect you, the reader, to visit the site but they hope that google's indexing robots will pick it up.

EDIT.

Having done a bit of googling, I tend to think it is the latter now as the same or similar adverts appear on other phpBB forums, this one for hacks into nintendo games:

http://nintendohack.phpbbnow.com/viewto ... 9e492a926f

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all

Just wanted to say that the spams are annoying and frustrating. But........ I had a thought, maybe this person grew up in such poverty that they have a 'thing' about brand new shiny kitchens.

A lovely lady I used to work with said her husband kept buying shoes all the time, he didn't need them, its just that when he was growing up he had to make do with shabby old cast offs and so its a psychological problem. Kitchen lover could have the same problem :roll: or more !!!!!

I'm sure Admin are trying their best to sort this problem out.

All the best RRB

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Robinredbreast said:
Just wanted to say that the spams are annoying and frustrating. But........ I had a thought, maybe this person grew up in such poverty that they have a 'thing' about brand new shiny kitchens.

LOL. I can visualise the new adverts:

Teased?
Taunted?
Deprived as a child?

Now you too can enjoy a touch of luxury.

Because you deserve it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Yorksman said:
Robinredbreast said:

LOL. I can visualise the new adverts:

Teased?
Taunted?
Deprived as a child?

Now you too can enjoy a touch of luxury.

Because you deserve it.

I like that Yorksman :thumbup: but don't forget ' Because you're worth it' with a violin playing in the background + Morecombe and Wise on the spoons and saucepan lids. just to add to the ambience :lol: :lol: :lol:
RRB :)

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
It's really testing my patience too. Since we use a heavily modified version of PhPBB it's not as easy as it could be to find ways around this spam. I've tried most things I can think of and it's beginning to get to the point where I'm starting to look at more extreme prevention methods.

So far I have:

-Banned all of the responsible IP addresses (and, in some cases, just the beginning two octets followed by 2 wildcards)
-Excluded all the 'disposable' e-mail services from EVER registering here
-Upgraded the CAPTCHA form to a more advanced one
-Added a new profile field that prevents spam robots from registering
-Disqualified people from registering from the timezone 'UTC -12' as it's an uninhabited timezone
-Added a list of number variations to the word censor to prevent them from posting their phone number

I'm very much at a loss here, as I'm struggling to find a suitable spam prevention suite. The only one I did manage to find was very out of date and would have caused problems with the forum's functionality.

Still working on it though, folks.