Is itchy skin related to diabetes?

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
:roll: . . . . . .also I've noticed lately that I can go days without itching but it suddenly flares up when I eat something too sweet like bar of choc or cream cake or several biscuits. . . .sometimes my resolve melts away especially if I'm feeling down. :oops: Somewhere at the back of my mind I've just remembered that when a person has a blood disorder it can cause itching but not sure which disorder it was. . . . . . any connection do you think?. . . . . .perhaps someone with bit more knowledge will look it up and let us all know! :wave:

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have recently been diagnosed with a skin condition called urtichia (can't spell it) my whole body literally comes up in a blotchy rash and I kind of look like mister blobby with all the pink blotches.
It can be caused by stress, diet medication.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jimbo3537

Most of my itching is around my lower legs and ankles, My GP prescribed Doublebase Gel which is in a Pumppack and supplied by Dermal Laboratories UK, It stops the itching and also has a cooling effect on the skin, I Have type 2 and taking Metaformin tablets 500mg 4 a day

Reactions: Quirkybee

pc01827

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
trevorfather said:
my daughter has very dry skin, flaky and painful. she complains it hurts to bathe sometimes .... just one of her many issues with diabetes.....
creams lotions and potions don't seem to help much.

Hi Try giving her Vitimin D typicaly hi doseage in y case if it says take 1 tablet i would give my daughter 2, first try her on 1 tablet first.
Hope it works :)

darcy5211

Thanks, this has really helped me...I was covered head to toe, sent to AE , they said it was anaphylactic, as I suffer with this and have to carry Epipens, they just pumped me full of about 5 different meds, for about 7 hours before it started to slow down...then sent me home, no mention of diabetes!!!! I now know what it is...My levels go from 7.1 to 11.2...I cant eat so thought this was the problem...I need to get some more help from Consultant at diabetes clinic...but not very confidant. Can I go somewhere else?

LittleWolf

I've been diagnosed with psoriasis, many kinds of eczema, tinea versicolor, two kinds of urticaria (allergic-contact and pressure/dermatographia) etc. skin itches like mad alot of the time, especially my lower legs at night. Not officially considered diabetic so can't say, though I believe high sugar levels make you more susceptible to fungal infections like tinea and thrush which can be really itchy and it can cause generally dry skin?

Try E45 cream. I also use hydrocortisone, eumovate and you can put Oilatum in your bath. Actually I think you can use aqueous cream as soap in the tub too. Nizoral shampoo is always a good one to have on hand.

A

Anonymous

LittleWolf said:
I've been diagnosed with psoriasis, many kinds of eczema, tinea versicolor, two kinds of urticaria (allergic-contact and pressure/dermatographia) etc. skin itches like mad alot of the time, especially my lower legs at night. Not officially considered diabetic so can't say, though I believe high sugar levels make you more susceptible to fungal infections like tinea and thrush which can be really itchy and it can cause generally dry skin?

Try E45 cream. I also use hydrocortisone, eumovate and you can put Oilatum in your bath. Actually I think you can use aqueous cream as soap in the tub too. Nizoral shampoo is always a good one to have on hand.

My GP prescribed antihistamines which I now get regularly. I have to take one a day which works The itching started about 3-4 years ago even though my bGs are OK. My GP did not think that it was related to diabetes at the time. I will find out soon whether my GPs view has changed or not. I have another wild and whacky theory, but don't wish to come across as a hypochondriac so I'll wait till I've checked it out.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Itchy skin can be caused by food intolerances. I know a few people who were tested and after giving up the culprits for 6 weeks and reintroducing them gradually rid themselves of skin problems

Adam63

I have had very low level psoriasis for many years. It primarily appeared on my lower legs
and forearms. After I was diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago, this condition has gotten
much worse, spreading to my fingers and feet. Psoriasis on the feet is very annoying as the
itching often disturbs my sleeping, and consequently I wake up tired and struggle through
my working day.

I have no doubt this condition has been exacerbated though my higher blood glucose levels.

Little can be done for this except topical creams and antihistamines.

Disgruntled

I was diagnosed in jan this year type 2. after 2 weeks of bgs up & down. I started on a low carb low fat diet. my bgs are between 5s & 6s everyday. my blood pressure is perfect. cholestrol is ok too. weight is down by 45lbs.
I started with a rash on my chest, it was very itchy and scaley and raised and red. I now have it on arms, head, face, chest and feet. I tried all the creams, betnovate, eumovate, E45 and a few others I can't remember the names of. I even tried a hibi scrub and a shampoo too. in the end my partner suggested I try Johnsons baby shampoo. So I gave it a try.
The lumps on my head are almost gone, still itches a lot but at least the very sore lumps are gone.
I also used it on my chest, this also has improved greatly. I've since got some Johnsons baby naturals cream which I rub on my arms, it isn't helping as far as getting rid of the rash but at least my arms aren't itching.
I use Johnsons baby wipes on my feet before rubbing in the baby cream again the rash is still there but no more itching.

As for bg's causing the problem I can not see how this would be as my levels are pretty low and steady too.
I also have to say that the rashes are all different. my feet look as if I have very pale freckles but millions of them.
my arms are scaley and freckles are changing. my face is very slightly scaley. and my head was big sore lumps.

My GP say's it's the diabetes, I have to agree as I never had them before. but as far as bg's causing it I don't think so.

CarlG

Although not itchy, I have disgusting "rash" on my legs; sometimes on my left, then over a while it changes to the right. My GP says it's due to elevated iron deposits that follows the bloodstream to the surface, and then is left there causing discoloration. I thought having diabetes was bad, but now I'm rusting to death? :D This however, it probably not related to my diabetes (under control for now).

Slightly more related to my diabetes was Vitamin D deficiency, quite severe one according to my GP. I started a pill cure which was said to have itchy skin as a side effect. This didn't start until a week or two after I was done with the cure (lasting several months). As a computer geek - no activities and basically no outside stuff, and I prefer darkness as my eyes don't like light very much at all. Explains the Vitamin D deficiency, and why I ended up diabetic in the end. So even if not directly related, indirectly you can say that diabetes and vitamin D deficiency is tied together, and if you end up on a pill cure, that may also be a strong cause for itchy skin.

It lasted a couple of weeks and I scratched myself to bleeding a lot, couldn't sleep, and all that fun stuff. But since then, I haven't had any skin issues at all. Also, since my BG levels were at the time well controlled, I had no reason to "blame" the diabetes for it.

Hobbit62

Hello all
I have Type 2 which I so far have been able to manage with diet and exercise - I have found on occasions that I suffer with terrible itchy skin on legs arms and torso - thank goodness I logged on today, I thought I was the only one - it drives me mad when it happens, I have found taking Piriton alergy meds helps, but was going to bring it up on my next check up in July. I also take Ramipril to control my BP - does anyone who takes this have hair loss problems? since being prescribed it my hair brush is full every time I use it. - Love to all

Reactions: Quirkybee
A

Anonymous

Hobbit62 said:
Hello all
I have Type 2 which I so far have been able to manage with diet and exercise - I have found on occasions that I suffer with terrible itchy skin on legs arms and torso - thank goodness I logged on today, I thought I was the only one - it drives me mad when it happens, I have found taking Piriton alergy meds helps, but was going to bring it up on my next check up in July. I also take Ramipril to control my BP - does anyone who takes this have hair loss problems? since being prescribed it my hair brush is full every time I use it. - Love to all

I'm on Ramipril only and have suffered from horrendous itchy skin which seems to crop up randomly, anywhere on my body. I have been prescribed Cetrizine Hydrochloride (antihistamine) for about 2 years and this staves it off for 24-48 hours or so. My GP was not convinced before that it is due to diabetes (I have good bG control ... I think!). I will be speaking about it again on Tuesday when I collect my latest blood tests. I'll let you know the outcome. Remind me if I forget.

Ricky

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I control on diet and exercise , no meds but my itching is the soles and sides of my feet, particularly in the evening. I have been diagnosed with psoriasis - never had that in my life before so I am not convinced!!! I also have the peeling skin on my fingers and the palm of 1 hand. I keep my hands and feet moisturised at all times, even keeping moisturiser by my bedside for when I wake at night. I know when it was a lot worse than it is now the inside of a banana skin taped on the feet and held in place with socks worked wonders!!

Lipgloss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have recently been diagnosed with a skin condition called urtichia (can't spell it) my whole body literally comes up in a blotchy rash and I kind of look like mister blobby with all the pink blotches.

Me too,my doctor ran a battery of tests,turned out my zinc count was low so am now taking supplements and its much better

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Urticaria - yep I get this with SEEDS !!!
Pumpkin,flax,sunflower etc seeds - covered in raised hive like welts
that 'itch like crazy' too .
They spread rapidy within 2 hours of time .
Get wheezy with these also which concerned my GP .
Doctor said have to avoid seeds to prevent the flare ups .

Shame as I actually love these seeds added into my yogurt or simply as a
quick nibble on their own .

princess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty of any kind, violence, bitchiness, fighting,
Hi, if you Google this it will explain it very well. My GP is amazing but it has still taken many years to get this sorted. After ngt after ngt on occasions, I found rather than scratching, a body or nail brush was really effective then cold water or ice packs as skin needs to be cooled. I was prescribed Atarax tablets. It's. Nerve ending problem, they're getting the wrong signal!.its hellish as it's neither an itch or a pain but a mix of the two and so so difficult to deal with, I've been in tears with it on more. Occasions than I are to remember. With even more nerve damage now I was prescribed Gabapentin as the pain now in my eyes and head but... It also helps to control the itching !! After doing more research I found that in America they have now started prescribing gabapentin for the itching. Its worth mentioning to your doc, it works and we have enough to cope with already, this can sometimes be one thing too many . Good luck :-D

princess

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty of any kind, violence, bitchiness, fighting,
Sorry about the errors in there lol my pad is behaving strangely when typing ! Lol nothing to do with the typist of course :O

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I get really bad itching on my feet, legs below the knee and forearms. It's only in the last few months i've associated it with bg. I scratch until it bleeds and then end up with what looks like nettle rash, sometimes it can take up to a month to go away. I am really glad I don't have it every day as my bg is high most days. :oops:
oh my dear.

cferry88

Go to ur doctor and get them to check ur liver count. I had really itchy skin and I had to go to the hospital. Liver count was too high down to gym supplements I was taking