Food Labelling

StephenM

One of the main items on the news this morning was food labelling – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22959239 . What I find bemusing is there is still an obsession with sugars and no mention of carbohydrates! Ultimately all carbohydrates are converted to sugars. This is why a large portion of (sugar free) chips could send your BG soaring! Considering they talk about a Diabetes Epidemic you would have thought they would have got it right! Can nobody in government and associated committees think in joined up? :(

StephenM

I see there are now lots of comments on the BBC website. Sadly many have gone off at a tangent. The fact that many supermarkets highlight the sugar content on the fromnt of things like sandwiches really bugs me when I am looking for the carb content. If I am grabbing lunch "on the go" I look for 30 - 35 gms CHO - some of the sandwiches come out at 60 - 70 once you get out the magnifying glasss to read the small print!

CathyP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree carbs would be better for diabetics rather than sugars but I don't believe the food labelling system was ever designed to help diabetics. I think it was designed to reduce the obesity problem which in turn may reduce the occurence of diabetes. I just wish it was compulsory rather than voluntary and that all items had to show not only the information per portion but also per 100 grammes so that it would be easier to compare "like" products

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too was dismayed when I saw the news item. It not only does not give the carb content it pushes someones idea of healthy eating which may not be correct.

For example. The fat traffic light goes red when in some foods fat is a good thing in my opinion. I have been doing some experiments since I accidentally found that fat mixed with flour can lower the GI of a food sufficiently for it not to spike me.

I think the whole thing is a giant step backwards and I seem to remember saying something similar on here once before.

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So annoying, Sainsburys is one place that gets my goat, just today I picked something up to read the carb content, 'sugars' on the frint of the packet drove me to distraction, had to get the magnifying g glass out to read 'carbohydrate' on the underside

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App