I'm loving "think like a pancreas".

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hale, you are a master of understatement!!:smile:

Hope you are alright today Mr Happy. That must have been quite a scare.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mr Happy

Rhe good new was that the ambulance driver was HOT!

It reinforced a bit of the general annoyance many of us feel with regards to medical professionals advice. I got a hammering from the paramedic despite being on my way out knowing I needed sugar. I had done my gym session and took 4 glucotabs and a banana and went to the sauna to stretch my somewhat tired legs. Did about ten lengths in pool and started feeling ropey, sat down for 5 and was attempting to head back to the changing room. Woke about 40 mins later with a crowd of medical staff. They waited til my bloods hit 15 before they released me - 2 bottles of powerade, 2 hypo stop tubes and a protein flapjack. Suffice to say I was 31.2 by the time I got home.

But indeed, a reminder on how tricky managing excercise is...

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr Happy said:
Rhe good new was that the ambulance driver was HOT!

It reinforced a bit of the general annoyance many of us feel with regards to medical professionals advice. I got a hammering from the paramedic despite being on my way out knowing I needed sugar. I had done my gym session and took 4 glucotabs and a banana and went to the sauna to stretch my somewhat tired legs. Did about ten lengths in pool and started feeling ropey, sat down for 5 and was attempting to head back to the changing room. Woke about 40 mins later with a crowd of medical staff. They waited til my bloods hit 15 before they released me - 2 bottles of powerade, 2 hypo stop tubes and a protein flapjack. Suffice to say I was 31.2 by the time I got home.

But indeed, a reminder on how tricky managing excercise is...

Why did they make you go to 15?!? Of course you're going to skyrocket later!

Mr Happy

Lord only knows, perhaps they thought either the insulin was still going strong or the excercise may continue to drop me. Having said that, if that was their concern I'm not sure why they didn't just admit me.

Had a massive crash around 7 today as well. Either I have a weird infection or a bad batch of insulin. 28.1 at 4pm had 14 units and some biscuits, crashed below 2 at 7pm with no hypo signs :-(

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mr Happy said:
Had a massive crash around 7 today as well. Either I have a weird infection or a bad batch of insulin. 28.1 at 4pm had 14 units and some biscuits, crashed below 2 at 7pm with no hypo signs :-(

14 units would drop my BG by 28 - 42! Even with biscuits it's no wonder it plummeted! I know everyone it different but still.

I don't get hypo signs, but thankfully my hypos are rare (I thank the honeymoon period) been at 2.6 twice with no idea! I test regularly to be sure I'm safe

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly
Re: I'm loving

Blimey Mr Happy - what an experience, as mentioned just shows how complicated diabetes and exercise can get. As long as your ok now though. I had a similar experience years ago in A+E where I'd had a fit in the night due to a bad hypo, got admitted but they pumped me full of dextrose that my sugars went over 20 so then they wouldn't release me to manage at home until I was below 10mmol. I kept telling them I can manage it myself but they insisted! Was so annoying and embarrassing.

Hope your ok now and have got over the shock of it all

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Mr Happy, sounds like you could benefit from the discussed book, Think Like a Pancreas. Have you got a copy?

Mr Happy

I'm about to download a copy onto the old tablet pc - been having trouble with the excercise for a couple of months as obviously you're not meant to start at 12+, but excercise crashes me. Obviously dextrose can be applied but I burn through it straight away and eating whilst exercising isn't much fun.

Last nights crash did really confuse though, I put the gym one down to several factors and just lived with it. Last nights should not have happened like that though so I've replaced all my insulin, changed sites and sent a jar of wee to the doctors to check for infection... I'm sure time will tell.

Thanks for the advice and concern guys!

iHs

Hot weather will also make bg levels fall so combine exercise into it all and hypo we will.

I've turned my basal on my pump down to 50% today and will just use the bolus to sort me out according to what my bg levels pan out. Yesterday..... was on the low side all day long even with the pump turned off for 2hrs....

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

iHs said:
Hot weather will also make bg levels fall so combine exercise into it all and hypo we will.

I've turned my basal on my pump down to 50% today and will just use the bolus to sort me out according to what my bg levels pan out. Yesterday..... was on the low side all day long even with the pump turned off for 2hrs....

So true - I only use half my insulin ratio in the hot weather .
Think its because our bodies absorb insulin faster in the hot/warmer weather :idea:

Hope this helps .
Anna .

Faith*

Dislikes
Arrogant/unhelpful people. Spiders/bugs basically anything with 6-8 legs. Creeps me out.
Hate mud unless I'm camping oddly

noblehead said:
Faith* said:
I need to re-read it I think, since the first time I've learned loads but like you said SamJB I think my basals are changing again as I've slowly started to creep up over night! Such a pain. I'll tell you what's interesting though. No matter what I do in the afternoon's I will always hypo about 4-5pm. I've decreased basals, changed bolus ratio's and without fail every day I will hypo! The body is a fascinating mechanism! That or mine is weird!

I tend to run in the mornings but find if I drop may basal I'll go really high 2 hours later so I mostly eat breakfast, do half the amount of bolus and then go to the gym about 40 minutes later and I'm usually ok. Weight training is a bit of a problem that I'm still working on though, I believe it can raise your sugars and it sometimes does in my case but then also it can do nothing at all and I need the full bolus for breakfast.

Possibility your afternoon hypo's are caused by the exercise you do in the morning, exercise has the tenancy to lower bg several hours after due to the body replacing its glycogen stores, if the hypo's are a common occurrence then have a carby snack say 2-3pm.

Your going to laugh... I've not been to the gym for 2 days and no afternoon hypo, so your absolutely spot on. It must be the morning exercise causing the late afternoon hypo! Thanks so much for pointing it out :D

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Oh absolutely, yes. It spells out a lot about dosing and exercise, but goes into detail on dosing for stress, illness, different GI food, injection timing etc. Anything you can think of and more is in there. Very worthwhile buying it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Faith* said:
Your going to laugh... I've not been to the gym for 2 days and no afternoon hypo, so your absolutely spot on. It must be the morning exercise causing the late afternoon hypo!

Pleased you got sorted Faith :thumbup: