Statins, and why take 'em?

Geocacher

I'm afraid that Dr. John Briffa isn't considered a credible source of information... neither are the infamous Dr. Oz or Dr. Mercola.

Ladybirdy75

Thanks for the advice. I'm definitely going to "inform" my GP that i'm taking a statin holiday. My last cholesterol check was 3.8 so it will be interesting to see what happens, especially with the daily exercise and extremely healthy eating plan i'm on. They've also just taken blood to test for Systemic Lupus Ery....... something (never can remember that bit!) as that too can affect joints and tendons, i tested "weakly positive" last year whatever that means. I guess the actual disgnosis is just a name, it's all about health, fitness and good management but I'm defo ditching the statins for a while. Onwards and upwards eh ?! ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Disgruntled

My partner has been on statins for over a year now. he had a stroke. he was on simvostatin 40mgs. He wasn't doing so well on them so they dropped the dose to 20mgs. he was having terrible pains, couldn't sleep at night, even though he was exhausted. loss of appetite. a whole range of things wrong with him.
one gp took him off the statins for 2 weeks and did blood tests. he went back as directed after the 2 weeks. to be told I don't know why you had the blood tests, but everythings fine apart from your liver, signs of high sugar( he's not diabetic)

the doctor then prescribes him a different statin 40mgs. now given he was taken off 20mgs because of the side effects why put him on a stronger statin and double the dose?
Needless to say he isn't taking them. bless him he has enough problems with the effects of the stroke without doing himself more harm with statins.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Geocacher said:
I'm afraid that Dr. John Briffa isn't considered a credible source of information... neither are the infamous Dr. Oz or Dr. Mercola.

[Citation Required]

I trust Dr. Briffa far more than any doctor making his decisions based upon flawed pharmacological studies that have been made by the pharm companies themselves and the guidance levels set for Cholesterol having been set by people with a conflict of interest being that they are paid by or do research for the pharma companies pushing statins.

Number Needed To Treat is what this should be going on not reduction in relative risk which is a flawed way of measuring the effects of a drug.

http://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2012 ... ndrum.html
Statins for primary prevention have a stratospherically higher NNT. Sixty people would have to take a statin for five years for one to avoid a heart attack; 60 is the NNT for avoiding this outcome. And 268 people without heart disease would need to take a statin for five years for one person to be saved from a stroke; 268 is therefore the NNT for avoiding this outcome, explains Dr. David Newman of Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York, who maintains an NNT database at thennt.com.

You can gauge your risk of having a heart attack in the next 10 years by visiting hp2010.nhlbihin.net/atpiii/calculator.asp.

The National Cholesterol Education Program calculator cited above can also be used to show why lowering cholesterol, as statins indisputably do, fails to make much difference in whether or not you will develop cardiovascular disease. After you’ve typed in your actual cholesterol, blood pressure, and other data, notice what happens if you change the cholesterol: In many cases, it alters the risk of a heart attack by little or nothing. A 55-year-old non-smoking woman with total cholesterol of 240 (high enough to make most physicians prescribe a statin), HDL (good cholesterol) of 50 (which is quite low), and systolic blood pressure of 110 has a 1 percent chance of having a heart attack over the next decade, for instance. Now change her total cholesterol to 190—a huge decline. Her risk is still 1 percent. A 65-year-old man with those first numbers has an 11 percent chance of having a heart attack over the next decade; lowering his cholesterol to 190 brings that down to 9 percent.

In other words, cholesterol levels are not as strongly predictive of cardiovascular disease as once thought. “This has shocked everyone,” says Newman. “Cholesterol levels are actually a fairly weak predictor of who will have a heart attack.”

Geocacher

Dr. Briffa and the Saturday Evening Post?

A self-proclaimed nutritionist who's primary interest is in selling his books and supplements, and a tabloid newspaper.

And the evil faceless monster known as 'Big Pharma', a character manufactured from ignorance in the minds of those who want to mislead.

Real research papers are a far more interesting and informative than opinions, particularly the opinions of those like Dr. Briffa who's only interest is in getting people to give him their money. Isn't is ironic that these self-proclaimed nutritionists are really no different than the 'Big Pharma' monster they've created?

Yesterday it was Dr. Mercola, who seems now to have lost some favour, today it's Dr. Briffa, who will it be tomorrow?

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with Paul_C . I trust Briffa's research and findings more than any GP who has jumped on the statins band wagon.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Geocacher said:
Dr. Briffa and the Saturday Evening Post?

A self-proclaimed nutritionist who's primary interest is in selling his books and supplements, and a tabloid newspaper.

...... particularly the opinions of those like Dr. Briffa who's only interest is in getting people to give him their money. ...

Yesterday it was Dr. Mercola, who seems now to have lost some favour, today it's Dr. Briffa, who will it be tomorrow?
You know this doctor personally, do you? I suppose you must, if you know his primary, and only interest is so disreputable.
Look at your own quote, it may be apt here.

trev1988

2009 i developed auto immune haemolytic anemia ..16 bags of transfused blood later and at one point very nearly losing my life ! i made a recovery. I had to come of statins because of the other medication i was taking; 2010 i went back onto statins and was taken into hospital with idiopathic thrombocytopenia perpura and was treated with retuximab a chemotherapy drug ,if that didn't work a splenectomy was looming over me,but i did recover! when asking whether there was a link in relation to the statins i was told yes there was!! i'm off statins now and refuse to take them because i deal with the cholesterol with natural ways i.e.. grapefruit etc..

I would in my case rather live than die however saying that i'm sure everyone is different and statins can be beneficial

rizzo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think Geocacher is being very unfair to Dr. Briffa by saying he is motivated by greed and that he writes about his opinions.

Dr. Briffa does write about his opinions - but very often they are backed up by evidence. My GP has yet to show me that it is safer for me to take statins than not. Dr. Briffa has provided evidence in his links to research papers and his summaries of them.

I know which I prefer.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Statins - Dangerous, pointless, damaging, useless, unless you are raking it in like the evil pharma co's and gps.
When the inevitable wotsit hits the fan on this one, heads and pharma co's will roll, it will make the thalidomide catastrophe look like a teddy bears picnic.

I wouldn't take them for anything.....

Keep calm, eat lots of saturated fat, carry on and be happy, don't go baah !

Disgruntled

The list of "side effects" I hate that term. of statins is incredible and very scarey to say the least.
Last year as my 49th birthday came round both the practice nurse and my GP told me that next year we'll be looking at putting you on statins. I asked why? and was told everyone is put on them at age 50, they will help prevent heart attacks and strokes.

When my man was put on them after his stroke, I read the leaflet and nearly had a stroke meself. :shock:
What a shock it was, quite incredible that a doctor who has taken an oath not to cause harm to anyone would prescribe this "medication" to everyone of 50 years plus.
The things these statins can do to you is far worse than the risk of heart attack. lets face it I said RISK not actual heart attack.
we run the risk of dying crossing roads, some sports people do. are they going to give us a tablet for that next?

How many times have we heard about people we all thought we super fit, dying of a sudden heart attack. healthy people having strokes. GEEES they're medicating the population with these drugs and claiming they'll help reduce the risk.
NO NO NO. help reduce the risk yourselves, eat healthily, excersize if you can, Don't smoke, don't drink to much, try not to get to stressed. very easily said I know I get very stressed most days, but you have to have something in your life to combat the stress.

Statins in my humble opinion should never be used. I'm sorry I know a lot of you here probably take them and think they're helping you. but isn't that because some doctor told you they would? I'm a relatively intelligent woman, I might not be very elloquent in speech but I speak my mind, I tell it like it is. when I see my wonderful partner go from being a vibrant go get em kinda man to him not able to get off the sofa because he's either exhausted or in so much pain, it makes my blood boil.

Next friday I reach that half century that everyone dreads. the dreaded 50. I'm ok with it, I feel the same way I did when I was 30.
The dreaded part is the influx of mail coming in just now, Bowel screening, mamograms, life insurance for the over 50's. SAGA blooming holidays :crazy: and the doctors all flocking to see which one can get me on the stains first.

Now these very same doctors totally ignored all the symptoms of diabetes I had for 2 years plus, not one of them added up all the things that was screaming at them DIABETES, so why should I now trust them when they tell me that statins will help me reduce the risk of stroke and heart attacks. quite frankly they couldn't have cared less if the diabetes had killed me off, so why bother now? just because I'm nearly 50?

On the last lot of statins my man was given, the leaflet clearly stated that these tablets should not be taken if you have ever had a stroke. HELLOOOOOO he was put on them because he had had a stroke????
We told the doctor this and bless him he was a locum he said to come off them and come back for a blood test in 3 weeks, this we did. on trying to get results of this blood test he was told "I don't understand why you had this done" and wasn't given the results anyway. What he was given however was a different statin and double the dose.
Now I don't know about you but there was some serious alarm bells ringing in my ears.
Needless to say he refuses to take them. very sensible honey.

I'm not trying to scare monger or tell you what you should do. what I am saying is look into it. research it yourself.
These statins are not good.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Disgruntled said:
What a shock it was, quite incredible that a doctor who has taken an oath not to cause harm to anyone would prescribe this "medication" to everyone of 50 years plus.

Professor Rory Collins claims that everyone over the age of 50 should take statins regardless of whether they have any health problems.

Give statins to all over-50s: Even the healthy should take heart drug, says British expert
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... z2Wk2dqdvB

Statins fear is 'putting patients health at risk', researchers say
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healt ... s-say.html

They think it's the same as putting iodine in salt, chlorine in water or calcium in milk. Of course if anything goes wrong it will be said that the consequences were 'unforseen' and that 'lessons have been learned'.

But don't forget some of these strange people think that they have an automatic right to harvest your organs when you die. Your body is not your own and they have rights over it that you do not have.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Disgruntled !

One of the best posts ever on these dear forums !
I wish that I could write so eloquently as you.

The gravy train will of course be ridden to the very end by these vested interests and sod the consequences for the bleeting masses who are led by the establishment ( Wolfie Smith ), sorry but I've been banging on about this travesty for a very long time now and it was so refreshing to get such a good response from somebody who has obviously given a great deal of thought to the nasty evil side of this insidious drug.

I'm 63, 19 years post transplant, fed up banging the gong for the sheep to wake up etc.

My own gp refuses to say if he's on this c**p, that is when he's not in rehab !

Get your man off of these diabolical disasters and he'll be better for it I reckon.

Keep calm, eat sat fat and carry on......

Roy

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Yorksman said:
Disgruntled said:

Professor Rory Collins claims that everyone over the age of 50 should take statins regardless of whether they have any health problems.
Perhaps this is to give those who don't have health problems, a few :twisted: :twisted:

L

Luna21

Well, I'm obviously on the other side of the fence to many of you, figuratively speaking.

I take statins (Simvastatin 40mg) as does my Mum, so there are two people who can, and do benefit from statins without any side-effects. My Mum doesn't have any other health problems and she is slim and healthy, but takes stains due to an inherited high cholesterol count and a family history of heart disease, as indeed do I.

I also am on a huge mixture of other drugs, which do cause me nasty side-effects but which I choose to take to give me a quality of life I didn't believe I could have again after years of ill health.
If you worry about side effects try googling methotrexate, which is only one of the drugs I take, however I am willing to put up with many of the nastier side effects in order to control my disease. That's how life works sometimes; it's a trade off.

So to say that statins universally are the devils own tool; are only prescribed to line the coffers of the big drug companies, or to appease your Doctor is ridiculous!
Of course there are always going to be the few who do get side effects from this drug, and although I don't mean to be glib about that at all, that is unfortunately the nature of most drugs; some people will have problems, others will not, but to condemn the whole concept of cholesterol reducing drugs because of this is very short sighted, and to be honest, rather worrying when people in need of information come to this site and read what is written on here.

Look at the scandal of the MMR vaccine. Parents were so worried about the claims of Autism that they refused the MMR jab. Eventually the 'proven' evidence the doctor purported to have, was proven to be totally false and fabricated, but not before there was nearly an epidemic of measles, and it's consequences.

I consider myself relatively intelligent and I can assure you that I don't just accept any drug given me by my doctor or consultant - I research everything, so to say that those of us who take statins are not as intelligent as yourselves, and unable to make an informed decision on our health is quite objectionable.

The fact is we can all choose what drugs we want to take, but please don't put off many who might benefit from this drug, due to your vehement dislike of it. I'm sure many people have been spared the 'side-effects' of a nasty stroke or heart attack due to this drug.

Until I hear more unbiased, and thoroughly researched evidence saying that statins should not be used, ever, I shall continue to take mine and be satisfied that I have now have lower levels than ever before.

Disgruntled

Yorksman, Ferguscrawford & superchip thank you. Yorksman I will read the links you posted when I have a wee bit of time to spare.

Luna21. I believe that the results my man has had since taking the statins speak for themselves. he's a well built man (not overweight by any means) strong and very hardy, but since he's been on statins he's lost weight, lost muscle, is in constant pain. doesn't eat much, while he's exhausted he doesn't sleep well. in a nut shell this is the result of taking statins. this was confirmed by our Gp.
I can't tell you how happy I am that both you and your mother don't suffer any adverse effects from them, and you're happy to take them because they give you a better life. but for many people given the posts I have read over the past few months are having health problems due to the statins.

You're statement "I'm sure there are many who have been spared the side effects of a nasty stroke or heart attack due to this drug" where did you get this information from?

I never said or intimated that those who choose to take statins are less intelligent than myself. I did say that people should research any medication before taking it. The very fact that you do research your medication is good and shows that you are an intelligent lady. I would never say to anyone wether they take their tablets without even reading the leaflets or not that they weren't intelligent.
I've done it myself and later found I should not have taken them.

This forum is here for us all to get advice and give advice if we can, This thread was about statins and why take them? it was thrown out to all of us to discuss and give our opinions. I gave mine.

I don't think I'm biased, actually thats maybe wrong maybe I am biased but when it comes to my man's health Yes. Yes I believe biased would be the right word. I just believe that I should speak my mind and while it gets me into difficulties at times for the most part I find it to be the only way I can be.

Let me ask you this, my GP and nurse both know that my blood pressure is as near perfect as it gets, 124/80. my cholestrol is fine. I'm on a very healthy low carb diet. I've lost over 3 stones in 4 months and still losing. I'm keeping my bg's between 5s & 6s after just 4 months, why should they be eager to put me on statins just because I reach the age of 50? When I told them I didn't want to go on them, not because of anything other than I don't like taking the tablets I have to take so why should I take anything I don't feel I need. why would they both tell me I will take them? what reason did they have to tell me I will take them?
Apart from the diabetes and hydrocephilis and arthritis there is no reason I should take the statins. I don't need to lower my cholestrol or blood pressure so why, why should they tell me I will take them?

I hope you and your mother both continue to have a good quality of life, if the statins work for you thats great and I'm happy that's the case.
For anyone reading these posts, who might be upset by them, it was not my intention to upset or scare anyone.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Luna21 said:
I take statins (Simvastatin 40mg) as does my Mum

I take it too. I'm just not a fan of a 'take this and see how you get on approach' and I definitely object to a 'you must take this' approach.

I am of an age when, if something went wrong with your car, a mechanic used to try and work out what the problem was and fix it. Today they just keep exchanging bits until it is working again. Medicine is going down that route too. 'Take these statins' is just as lazy as the bad old days, 'I haven't got time to diagnose you. Take two asprin and go to bed. Come back in a week if you don't feel any better.'

L

Luna21

Disgrunted, I can totally accept what you are saying - statins aren't perhaps for everyone, so be it, especially if your hubby is one of those who has suffered adverse reactions.
However, that's not to say that they don't help others, but I'm afraid I'm not going to spend hours collating evidence.

I must admit I probably would query why I needed statins too in your case. My own doctor is very happy to explain, and discuss my medication with me, so I assume, wrongly, I suppose, that every doctor does the same. She always gives me time to do my own research, then I go back armed with some knowledge and a better knowledge of what I can expect.

It was not you I was directing my annoyance at either, it was another poster.....I object to being called a sheep or someone who blindly follows whatever is said, or doled out to them. Having an opinion is one thing, but using pejorative language towards those who don't agree with your own personal views is simply not polite.

I researched statins, and came to the conclusion that with my family history and my high cholesterol count, that statins would possibly help me, and so it has been proved, in my opinion.
If by any chance, new medical evidence comes out in the future to say that these drugs shouldn't be prescribed, then I will have to accept your own and others insistence that you were all correct, but until then I shall keep popping my pills. :) We all do what we think is best for ourselves in the end, and have to take the consequences of our own actions.

Every forum has those who are totally against one thing or another, but although I do believe in giving your perspective on things, it is the totally negative bias I find hard to understand on this thread, and I wanted to give the opposite view, that's all.

Yorksman, the car analogy is a good one. 8) Again I think doctors are either overworked, too stressed, or dare I even suggest it, too lazy sometimes, to try and find the best medications for their patients in some cases.....I feel very lucky that mine listens to me on the few occasions I see her, as I tend to avoid doctors if I possibly can.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Luna21 said:
Disgrunted, I can totally accept what you are saying - statins aren't perhaps for everyone, so be it, especially if your hubby is one of those who has suffered adverse reactions.
However, that's not to say that they don't help others, but I'm afraid I'm not going to spend hours collating evidence.

I must admit I probably would query why I needed statins too in your case. My own doctor is very happy to explain, and discuss my medication with me, so I assume, wrongly, I suppose, that every doctor does the same. She always gives me time to do my own research, then I go back armed with some knowledge and a better knowledge of what I can expect.

Every forum has those who are totally against one thing or another, but although I do believe in giving your perspective on things, it is the totally negative bias I find hard to understand on this thread, and I wanted to give the opposite view, that's all.

Yorksman, the car analogy is a good one. 8) Again I think doctors are either overworked, too stressed, or dare I even suggest it, too lazy to try and find the best medications for their patients in some cases.....I feel very lucky that mine listens to me on the few occasions I see her, as I tend to avoid doctors if I possibly can.

Well said. There is no medication that will suit everyone. Some will suffer side effects, others will tolerate it fine. Ultimately, you make your own decision but just to put a blanket "they're dangerous" statement out is wrong. Each to their own, as usual.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort
stuffedolive said:
Since refusing to take statins I have seen a number of doctors at the surgery. Most try to persuade me back on. One recommended Benecol drink - the lowest sugar version is a 1.2g hit :-( but it takes the cholesterol level down by upto 1 percent. An Asian doctor recommended garlic (which has some scientific basis) at least a whole clove a day - don't chew, chop and swallow!
I fully expect to get caned at my next review in 3 weeks as my last Cholesterol was 6.2 and I've low carbing/highfatting since then. However, the HDL/LDL ratios were good last time as was the triglycerides, so here's hoping....

I just got my figures back.

Total Chol down from 6.7% to 4.9%
Ratio down fom 4.2to 3.1
HDL stayed the same at 1.6 - so my LDL must have come down significantly
Triglycerides down from 1.1 to 0.7
Blood pressure down from 120/80 to 104/70

My DN was sooo pleased - she asked me if I had gone back on medication. I was happy to inform her that this was a result of low-carbing, 1-2 cloves of garlic daily, cinnamon, cider vinegar and plenty of nuts. 8) 8)